What's new

Pentagon tracking suspected Chinese spy balloon over the US

Why didn’t Canada shoot it down ?
Probably because the Canadians were caught by surprise. They will shoot by next visit
How was the AIM-9X guided if the balloon wasn't emitting any IR energy?
the balloon is electric powered. the power source is solar cells. From the vid footage I can see it has 8:8 solar cell configuration. I assume 300 watt each, so it is powered by 4,800 watt dual electric motor. It has surveillance devices. That’s enough for infrared signature. Given by the big size of the balloon, also it has large radar signature. A small challenge for a fighter jet.

So China will also has excuse to bring down any American junk that fly over Chinese territory in the future.
Emphasis on the word 'over', right? :enjoy:

Anyway...You guys need to train with live weapons because your air combat doctrines have ramming.

Hi res of the balloon. Can we make out what sensors were on board, if any?
Not sure if this is the balloon, that does not look like a 90 ft balloon the DoD claim. And the Solar Panel Layout is different than other purported photo circulated around the internet.

Chinese-balloon-flies-over-Billings-MT-special-to-SN.jpg

I mean if you look at the gap between the 2 set of Solar Panel, and the center beam is seemingly missing, also this looks like they have 2 set of 4 Panel (or 2 set of 8), the picture in yours are 2 set of 5.

But I am pretty sure there are two cameras (maybe more) inside the box on either side of the Solar Panel. And the center beam looks like it is a censor/antenna package.

On the other hand, I don't see any atmospheric and wind measurement package onboard if this is the balloon, and I don't see any propulsion which then beg the question why there are 10 solar panel?

If this was a spy balloon with sophisticated sensors, why use an F22? It would have come close enough to pick up its radar /infra signatures and any other info.

Last edited:
Do China have some new LIDAR technology that details what's in and under missile defense???

Are you kidding me? China is angry because their spy balloon entered another country and it was shot down?

Hi res of the balloon. Can we make out what sensors were on board, if any?

If this is a pic of the actual balloon then the Chinese claims of it being a weather balloon looks correct. It seems they were measuring conditions in the upper atmosphere. Looks like the Yanks might be called out on this one, I doubt they will provide any details of what they find from the wreckage, but simply say "trust us, it was a surveillance balloon, that's all we can say..."

EDIT: This isn't a picture of the same balloon. For one, the Chinese balloon doesn't have that cross shaped scaffold structure, and second, this picture shows the balloon with a shadow across it. It's unlikely there would be a shadow on the Chinese balloon at that altitude.

Last edited:
You guys all know the whole point of downing this balloon was to steal the technology right? They didn't want to shoot it down till it was over water becoz they needed the thing intact. The world now knows US tech sux, needs to steal tech from China.

The way they handled the whole thing was like they wanted to salvage the wreckage of a tech sensitive F-35.

If this is a pic of the actual balloon then the Chinese claims of it being a weather balloon looks correct. It seems they were measuring conditions in the upper atmosphere.
What exist in the stratosphere over North America that interests China? If the phenomena are the same, then there is no need for 'research' over North America. If the phenomena are unique, then all it takes is a formal diplomatic request to the US that China would send research balloon over. The letter could include general technical specs of the balloon and a promise to share data, after all, it is about weather and climate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom