What's new

PM Modi has a message for Subramanian Swamy and Raghuram Rajan

danger007

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
On Monday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi's words defending Raghuram Rajan's work and Indianness would have come as a major comfort to the outgoing governor, who had to face a barrage of personal attacks from the BJP maverick MP Subramanian Swamy on his patriotism and integrity, although Rajan would have hoped Modi's statements came earlier.
Swamy had attacked Rajan for being "mentally not fully Indian” and on the governor's personal integrity and professional efficiency. But, on Monday, in an interview to Times Now Television channel, Modi refused to back Swamy, instead praised Rajan. Modi called attacks on Rajan as "inappropriate” and said Rajan is "no less patriotic” than anyone. "Kisi se bhi Raghuram Rajan ki deshbakti kam nahi hai (Raghuram Rajan's patriotism is no less than anyone),” Modi said.
Modi simultaneously added that no one should consider himself above the system.
Now, this statement is easy to interpret as an explicit warning to Swamy, who has made controversial statements not just against Rajan, but also against Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and his trusted aides in the finance ministry, Chief Economic Advisor Arvind Subramanian and Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das. Swamy had even said that if he hadn't followed party decorum, there would have been "bloodbath” in an indirect response to Jaitley who earlier said that politicians should exercise "restraint” on government officials.
Besides Rajan, Swamy had also attacked CEA Subramanian for allegedly siding with the US companies in his 2013 testimony to US Congress and Das for facilitating Congress leader P Chidambaram's alleged land deal in Mahabalipuram. Swamy also alleged that the CEA encouraged the Congress party to go "rigid” on the crucial Goods ad Services Tax (GST).
On Monday, Modi didn't economise words in dismissing Swamy's attacks.
"Whether it is in my party or not, still I think such things are inappropriate. This fondness for publicity is never going to do any good to the nation. People should conduct themselves with utmost responsibility. If anybody considers himself above the system, it is wrong," the PM told the channel.
But, on a closer look, this statement - if anybody considers himself above the system that is wrong - could be a light tap on the knuckles for Rajan as well because, during his three year stint, Rajan has made several controversial, politically sensitive comments including his "one-eyed King in the land of blind” on Indian economic growth and criticism on several government initiatives including 'Make in India' and 'Jan Dhan Yojana'. In this context, one can interpret that Modi's warnings apply to Rajan as well.
Remember, Modi didn't jump in to support Rajan when Swamy began his attacks. The PM has largely remained silent on Swamy's attacks on Rajan till now and had, earlier, played down questions on this as an "administrative issue” and something that shouldn't be in the interest of media. Rajan eventually decided not to take up a second term and announced his decision in a letter to his staff on 18 June and released it publicly.
But, what is even more critical to note here is the next statement on Rajan.
Modi reiterated his confidence in the patriotism of Rajan and said Rajan will continue to serve the country no matter in what position he is. "My experience with him has been good and I appreciate the work that he has done. He is no less patriotic. He loves India. Wherever he is, he will work for India and he is patriotic." Now recall Rajan's words in his farewell letter to his staff. "I will, of course, always be available to serve my country when needed.”
Reading between the lines, it makes you wonder if Modi is keeping the door open for a Rajan comeback in some other capacity. Both Modi and Rajan have left enough hints for the latter's second innings in India, if not in the RBI, in the government, at a later stage. Modi's take on Rajan in the interview and, on Swamy, are loaded with meanings that apply to both sides.

http://m.firstpost.com/business/pm-...amanian-swamy-and-raghuram-rajan-2858964.html

@JD_In @jbgt90 @SrNair @Rain Man @Stephen Cohen @Joe Shearer

It was a very good interview, showed the man's clarity of thought and vision.

On topic: All previous governments have replaced the RBI governors recruited by their predecessors, there is nothing new about it. People get to elect the government, they don't get to select whom the elected government will recruit in key positions to deliver on the mandate.

It was a very good interview, showed the man's clarity of thought and vision.

On topic: All previous governments have replaced the RBI governors recruited by their predecessors, there is nothing new about it. People get to elect the government, they don't get to select whom the elected government will recruit in key positions to deliver on the mandate.

Bringing politics into economy will cost India let alone political parties..

I read somewhere that "Government is the accelerator and central bank is the brake", both are required to drive a car. The problem is that Rajan was not letting go the brake even when the road was clear ahead. Central banks don't have mandate for growth, but governments have.

Why do people make it sound as if this is first time things like these are happening, just to score points against the current govt ?
economy and politics go hand in hand !!! who do you think makes the policies for economic reforms and all that ?

I read somewhere that "Government is the accelerator and central bank is the brake both are required to drive a car. The problem is that Rajan was not letting go the brake even when the road was clear ahead. Central banks don't have mandate for growth, but governments have.

these types of problem should be settled in decent manner.. not in public.. public stunts will harm more than anything...

Why do people make it sound as if this is first time things like these are happening, just to score points against the current govt ?
economy and politics go hand in hand !!! who do you think makes the policies for economic reforms and all that ?

show me when did some politician accusing RBI governor in public???? have you read the article... isn't Modi warned swamy indirectly... or you just want .. no one should say anything against this govt..

these types of problem should be settled in decent manner.. not in public.. public stunts will harm more than anything...

Right. But neither Modi nor Jatley said a thing against Rajan in public. The main culprits were media and Swamy, he is not a minister.

First media started it 5-6 months ago by frequently questioning if Rajan will be given a 2nd term, poked Rajan repeatedly in interviews and press conferences about his 2nd term to get a controversial answer, then media led a full fledged campaign to get Rajan a 2nd term. These things are not decided in media rooms, nor it should be. Later, Swamy took the charge to make the matter worse.

If government fails to deliver on growth because of Rajan's conservative policies, you will hold government responsible, not Rajan, right? So let the government work with its preferred team to deliver on promises.

show me when did some politician accusing RBI governor in public???? have you read the article... isn't Modi warned swamy indirectly... or you just want .. no one should say anything against this govt..

lol . . Forget about RBI governor . . .Rahul Gandhi have insulted Ex PM Manmohan publically . so as per u RBI Governor post is higher than PM post ? :lol:

Right. But neither Modi nor Jatley said a thing against Rajan in public. The main culprits were media and Swamy, he is not a minister.

First media started it 5-6 months ago by frequently questioning if Rajan will be given a 2nd term, poked Rajan repeatedly in interviews and press conferences about his 2nd term to get a controversial answer, then media led a full fledged campaign to get Rajan a 2nd term. These things are not decided in media rooms, nor it should be. Later, Swamy took the charge to make the matter worse.

If government fails to deliver on growth because of Rajan's conservative policies, you will hold government responsible, not Rajan, right? So let the government work with its preferred team to deliver on promises.

My point is against Swamy .. but some people here really have problem.. even modi raised voice against swamy.. when i point out about public stunts by Swamy.. a guy here saying am trying to score against current govt..

lol . . Forget about RBI governor . . .Rahul Gandhi have insulted Ex PM Manmohan publically . so as per u RBI Governor post is higher than PM post ? :lol:

grow up .. first read what am saying..

Modi should have spoken earlier... why did he wait till his own was FM attacked?

a guy here saying am trying to score against current govt..

There are many people here who are extremely protective about this current government and very sensitive towards any criticism, to be frank I am also somewhat like that. Actually when I look at the alternatives, a terrible sense of hopelessness runs through my spine to my head, and I become protective about the present government. :)

My point is against Swamy .. but some people here really have problem.. even modi raised voice against swamy.. when i point out about public stunts by Swamy.. a guy here saying am trying to score against current govt..

grow up .. first read what am saying..

There is clear rebel section in BJP spearheading by Advani ,Swaraj and some faction of RSS .They dont like the total authority of PM .
Swamy is in there to attack Jaitley and PM .
Rajan had strong backing of both FM and PM and they would have been elect Rajan for second term.But Rajan cant afford to risk his reputation .
Modi cant do much against Swami because he has the support strong leaders inside the BJP.

Back
Top Bottom