What's new

Poll: Jamat has 1% support

Accuracy of poll

Jamati supporters on here may question the accuracy of the poll.

Here are some facts.

1. Jamat got 4.6% of the votes in the last elections, 2008.

2. In 2001 they gained 4.2% of the votes.

3. In 1996 they gained 8.6% of votes

4. In 1991 they had 12% of votes.

So in the space of 10 years i.e. 1991-2001 they lost around 8% of the votes.

This poll says instead of losing another 8% they have lost 3% from their 4.6% in 2008.

I think it is very possible that if they gained lost 8% of votes in the space of 10 years they can lose 3%.

However their power is disproportionate to their percentage of votes because:

a: They have support from overseas including parties aligned to the Muslim brotherhood and similar groups e.g. Saadet in Turkey.
b: They have support from the intelligence organization of one Saarc state.
c: They are organized and their supporters run hospitals, magazines and educational institutions.
d: They are prepared to engage in violence to further their agenda.

Despite that in the long run they are following a trajectory of continuous loss of support.

If their percentage of the votes in recent elections were shown in the form of a bar graph it would make it clearer.

Jamat - BNP relations

The BNP was traditionally an enemy of the anti-independence Jamaat. Jamaat itself was an ally of the Awami League in the past ironic given that Jamatis now call Awamis as "Hindu", "Indian-dalal" and Awamis call them as "ghaddars" (traitors) and "Pakistani dalals".

The BNP will definitely lose support if they are seen as too close to Jamaat. What the Economist - the same publication which said India played a part in the Awami League victory in 2008 (the point being is Jamatis cannot vilify it as a propaganda source) - is saying is that due to Jamat's very weak strength votewise, the BNP may not need them. The BNP association with Jamat is more of a liability than an asset.

However there are some in Bangladesh who assert that the BNP-Jamat relationship is akin to what they describe as an "America-Israel" relationship, i.e. they hold that Israel in effect runs the USA (I disagree but that's their thesis) and Jamat in fact runs the BNP in the sense that they exert huge control in terms of finance and "street muscle" (Shibir thugs).

With Jamat about to be banned then the BNP may become even more of a "Jamatified" party with a mass transfer of Jamatis to the BNP.

Jamatis ideologically?

With Jamatis soon to find that their organization will be banned (non-partisan civil society in Bangladesh will totally support the ban of an organization which carries out a campaign of terror against Hindus) what will happen to them ideologically?

Who knows.

However the fact that they have to do things such as visit Shahid minar (the square for 1971 martyrs in Dhaka) when in power shows that they cannot be too overt with their anti-Bangladesh ideology and in the face of huge popular opposition have to conceal their true colours.

126167.jpg

Many Jamati leaders are in fact nothing but businessmen keen on money using Islam as a tool. The fact that they will most likely be banned permanently may make it harder for them to operate. They are prepared to send naive street thugs from Shibir to die as expendable pawns and cannon fodder, but with bans on their party and other things, life will be much harder. Life is hard enough as it is when the very word "rezakar" is now synonymous with traitor/murderer and it will only get harder.

This also includes their supporters abroad such as:
Mohammed Abdul Bari in the UK.
Moinudeen Choudhry in the UK.

and others.

I think its more like 6-7%
any less they wouldn't be able to hold such protests

You could be right.

We can't say for certain how much support they have.

However they did get 4.6% of votes in 2008.

If they were 1% of Bangladesh they would be 1.5 million, i.e. 7 times bigger than the Bangladeshi army.

Their recent campaign of terror does not necessarily mean they have more than 5% of support.

However in the long run they are following a downward trajectory to extinction.

You could be right.

We can't say for certain how much support they have.

However they did get 4.6% of votes in 2008.

If they were 1% of Bangladesh they would be 1.5 million, i.e. 7 times bigger than the Bangladeshi army.

Their recent campaign of terror does not necessarily mean they have more than 5% of support.

However in the long run they are following a downward trajectory to extinction.

Banning Jamaat would only make it more organised. I am against the idea of banning any political party. and 5% of 160 million people is no small figure. Awami League is using its power for political gain, do you not agree?
Having said all that, I think BNP has commited political suicide. They were extremely unable to handle the situation and there is a big chances they have alienated a big portion of the population. They are a disgrace to Ziaur Rahman. Remember how he used to know his politics, like letting Sheikh Hasina(thus formation of AL again) inside the country while at the same time making friends with Jamaat. What can I say. A true diplomat.

thought it was somewhere between 10-15%.
good though.

Jamaat had always been a minority party. There's no doubt about that.

And as far as these surveys are concerned, such surveys in Bangladesh aren't always necessarily accurate. Sampling can be a very difficult and tricky matter in a country like Bangladesh. Especially in such cases and even marketing research.

And what's more, Daily Star is extremely biased.

thought it was somewhere between 10-15%.
good though.

Really? I could have sworn that your prime minister believes that 25% of Bangladeshis are Jamaaties :lol:

Banning Jamaat would only make it more organised. I am against the idea of banning any political party. and 5% of 160 million people is no small figure. Awami League is using its power for political gain, do you not agree?
Having said all that, I think BNP has commited political suicide. They were extremely unable to handle the situation and there is a big chances they have alienated a big portion of the population. They are a disgrace to Ziaur Rahman. Remember how he used to know his politics, like letting Sheikh Hasina(thus formation of AL again) inside the country while at the same time making friends with Jamaat. What can I say. A true diplomat.

The current situation is only set to get out of control. I guarantee it.

Another Hammer-fist Indo Awami propaganda project bite the dust. As usual he has no clue about Bangladesh. Well he will be calling for his band 'intellactuals" for rescue now... wait for it....

And as far as these surveys are concerned, such surveys in Bangladesh aren't always necessarily accurate. Sampling can be a very difficult and tricky matter in a country like Bangladesh. Especially in such cases and even marketing research.

Really? I could have sworn that your prime minister believes that 25% of Bangladeshis are Jamaaties :lol:

oh,but i dont agree that our PM thinks so.but,your opinion.

The most moderate solution will be is to hang the leaders and let the young start a new,fresh Jamaat, who has been a part of our politics since our formation. One where they don't have to carry the burden of their founders. That is the only realistic solution and eveyone wins.
Or they can get rid of the death penalty altogether from the system and start give them all life sentences but thatd go against the sentiments.
This thing have been much too politicized by the facist AL. We are now too late now to save lives. That is the truth. More deaths are yet to come in the next few weeks.

The most moderate solution will be is to hang the leaders and let the young start a new,fresh Jamaat, who has been a part of our politics since our formation. One where they don't have to carry the burden of their founders. That is the only realistic solution and eveyone wins.
Or they can get rid of the death penalty altogether from the system and start give them all life sentences but thatd go against the sentiments.
This thing have been much too politicized by the facist AL. We are now too late now to save lives. That is the truth. More deaths are yet to come in the next few weeks.

@Hammer-fist welcome back. You are back with a bang.
But the survey crossed my prediction of 0.4% and also shows urs one's(4.6%) failure too.
But I can agree with 1%.

Agreed with that part. There were never problems with the new ppl. They r not traitor. But why they dont agree their leaders r moron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, other than hanging them and banning Jamaat/Shibir; there's more on the agenda over there :lol:

Why oh why would a poor, 3rd world nation like Bangladesh have people criticizing Islam as if that is the root of all of the nation's problems? And they inevitably and stupidly politicized it.

Interestingly, Hasina called to ban Shibir, but not BCL (yes, they have committed violence/vandalism before with impunity).

She also claimed that those nastik bloggers have nothing to do with the AL. But why haven't they been detained for questioning and summoned in court? Some say they are Hindus, and that is what is possibly riling them up.

Shows she cannot rise above party politics. Hence, it'll only get worse.

On the other hand; one can break a man's bones, rend a man's flesh, but to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him.

Understand this, the spirit behind Jamaat, and their reasons for opposing the separation from Pakistan will remain in like-minded individuals for as long as there is no dialogue between the various parties in reference to the particular problem. And they were right about that "problem" from the very beginning.

Interestingly, Saydee's son stated that the reasons for the verdict were to please a "third party". This "third party" is that "problem".

By that logic, they are traitors too. And should be executed. How far would they be willing to go to break that spirit? Would digging up graves of the Cold War strengthen the nation's resolve?

Can they rise above party politics? Seeing from Shahbag, I doubt it.

Well, other than hanging them and banning Jamaat/Shibir; there's more on the agenda over there :lol:

Why oh why would a poor, 3rd world nation like Bangladesh have people criticizing Islam as if that is the root of all of the nation's problems? And they inevitably and stupidly politicized it.

Interestingly, Hasina called to ban Shibir, but not BCL (yes, they have committed violence/vandalism before with impunity).

She also claimed that those nastik bloggers have nothing to do with the AL. But why haven't they been detained for questioning and summoned in court? Some say they are Hindus, and that is what is possibly riling them up.

Shows she cannot rise above party politics. Hence, it'll only get worse.

On the other hand; one can break a man's bones, rend a man's flesh, but to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him.

Understand this, the spirit behind Jamaat, and their reasons for opposing the separation from Pakistan will remain in like-minded individuals for as long as there is no dialogue between the various parties in reference to the particular problem. And they were right about that "problem" from the very beginning.

Interestingly, Saydee's son stated that the reasons for the verdict were to please a "third party". This "third party" is that "problem".

By that logic, they are traitors too. And should be executed. How far would they be willing to go to break that spirit? Would digging up graves of the Cold War strengthen the nation's resolve?

Can they rise above party politics? Seeing from Shahbag, I doubt it.
The athiests of today are the imams of tommorow.
There is a great bunch of imams who were previously athiests who have converted. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom