What's new

Poll shows steep decline in American Patriotism

大汉奸柳传志

Reaction score
Country
China
The Wall Street Journal won't say it, but a new poll the outlet released Monday gives a pretty strong indication that Republicans have managed to sully values most Americans once held dear, such as patriotism and religiosity.

The poll, conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago, found cliff-like declines over the past couple of decades in how many Americans describe patriotism and religion as "very important" to them.

While 70% of adults viewed patriotism that way in 1998 and 62% said the same about religion, today, just 38% of respondents called patriotism very important, while 39% said the same about religion.

"These differences are so dramatic, it paints a new and surprising portrait of a changing America,’’ remarked Bill McInturff, a pollster who worked on a previous Journal survey that measured similar attitudes. "Perhaps the toll of our political division, Covid and the lowest economic confidence in decades is having a startling effect on our core values.’’

Uncertainty driven by COVID-19 and the economy has undoubtedly played into a reordering of American values. The poll found that money was the only priority that had grown in importance in the last 25 years—up from 31% in 1998 to 43% now.

Economic uncertainty and the inability of young people to achieve basic milestones, such as getting married and buying a house, have likely also played a role in deemphasizing how people value parenting. Having children fell from 59% of adults calling it "very important" in 1998 to half as many—30%—saying that now.

But Republicans using religion and patriotism as a political cudgel to target and divide Americans over the past couple of decades has also likely taken a toll on values most Americans viewed favorably several decades ago.

“For me, patriotism has turned into right-wing nationalism,’’ said Janet Boyer, a former Pentecostal minister who lives in Southwestern Pennsylvania coal country. Boyer backed President Biden in 2020.

Indeed, the yawning gap between how young Americans and older Americans view patriotism shows a deep erosion over the past quarter-century in embrace of the term, with just 23% of adults under 30 today saying patriotism is very important to them personally, while 59% of their 65-plus counterparts call it very important.

The poll found a similar, if less pronounced, divide between younger and older adults’ views of religion today, with 31% of sub-30 voters viewing religion as very important compared to 55% of 65-plus voters.

Just 23% of adults under age 30 said that having children was very important.

Republican-held positions also polled in the minority on a handful of values-related questions concerning transgender, lesbian, gay, and bisexual Americans, gender equality, and businesses and schools promoting racial and ethnic diversity.

Chinese struggle so hard to make propaganda against Americans here,I'm starting to believe they are actually get paid for it. They are so dedicated.

The Wall Street Journal won't say it, but a new poll the outlet released Monday gives a pretty strong indication that Republicans have managed to sully values most Americans once held dear, such as patriotism and religiosity.

The poll, conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago, found cliff-like declines over the past couple of decades in how many Americans describe patriotism and religion as "very important" to them.

While 70% of adults viewed patriotism that way in 1998 and 62% said the same about religion, today, just 38% of respondents called patriotism very important, while 39% said the same about religion.
"These differences are so dramatic, it paints a new and surprising portrait of a changing America,’’ remarked Bill McInturff, a pollster who worked on a previous Journal survey that measured similar attitudes. "Perhaps the toll of our political division, Covid and the lowest economic confidence in decades is having a startling effect on our core values.’’

Uncertainty driven by COVID-19 and the economy has undoubtedly played into a reordering of American values. The poll found that money was the only priority that had grown in importance in the last 25 years—up from 31% in 1998 to 43% now.

Economic uncertainty and the inability of young people to achieve basic milestones, such as getting married and buying a house, have likely also played a role in deemphasizing how people value parenting. Having children fell from 59% of adults calling it "very important" in 1998 to half as many—30%—saying that now.

But Republicans using religion and patriotism as a political cudgel to target and divide Americans over the past couple of decades has also likely taken a toll on values most Americans viewed favorably several decades ago.

“For me, patriotism has turned into right-wing nationalism,’’ said Janet Boyer, a former Pentecostal minister who lives in Southwestern Pennsylvania coal country. Boyer backed President Biden in 2020.

Indeed, the yawning gap between how young Americans and older Americans view patriotism shows a deep erosion over the past quarter-century in embrace of the term, with just 23% of adults under 30 today saying patriotism is very important to them personally, while 59% of their 65-plus counterparts call it very important.

The poll found a similar, if less pronounced, divide between younger and older adults’ views of religion today, with 31% of sub-30 voters viewing religion as very important compared to 55% of 65-plus voters.

Just 23% of adults under age 30 said that having children was very important.

Republican-held positions also polled in the minority on a handful of values-related questions concerning transgender, lesbian, gay, and bisexual Americans, gender equality, and businesses and schools promoting racial and ethnic diversity.

The data table shows 70% said patriotism is very and somewhat related important . Why are you implying the opposite ?

Secondly , the highlight of the survey is actually the same table that shows how Americans hold good values and character to a high percentage in importance (whether they live up to them can be debated). To be objective, you should mention that.

Otherwise your post is like while reviewing a sports event, you ignore player performance , scores, results etc and only write about pop corn price in the stadium.

The word to describe that kind of propaganda is disingenuous

maybe you should follow @Hamartia Antidote to see how many China related threads he posts everyday.

You should talk to Beijingwalker as he is the mentor to everybody on PDF when it comes to spamming other forums with posts.

Please point out a day when I have done postings at his level. This is what he likes to do to the Americas forum:

spamming-png.845497

It has not been unusual for his posts to take up the entire first page.

Any annoyance you see with the level of my posts in the China&Far East forum is DWARFED by his level of postings when he has to catch up on his 50 cent quota. He just floods this forum with articles returned from some Google keyword search (I call it "Google scraping").

In the example pic above he just searched Google for "US shooting" and posted the responses. Sometimes when he's in a rush he gets sloppy and accidentally posts something from like 10 years ago that Google came back with.

Sometimes the mods ban him and he pulls out one of his aliases to continue..then they ban that one..and he comes out with a third,..then they ban that one. He's been banned sooooo many times.

staff.png

Webmaster.png

What a great way to give the Chinese a bad rep on PDF..irritate the guys running it.

You don't see them banning me....that should be a big hint.

Last edited:
You should talk to Beijingwalker as he is the mentor to everybody on PDF when it comes to spamming other forums with posts.

Please point out a day when I have done postings at his level. This is what he likes to do to the Americas forum:

spamming-png.845497

It has not been unusual for his posts to take up the entire first page.

Any annoyance you see with the level of my posts in the China&Far East forum is DWARFED by his level of postings when he has to catch up on his 50 cent quota. He just floods this forum with articles returned from some Google keyword search (I call it "Google scraping").

In the example pic above he just searched Google for "US shooting" and posted the responses. Sometimes when he's in a rush he gets sloppy and accidentally posts something from like 10 years ago that Google came back with.

Sometimes the mods ban him and he pulls out one of his aliases to continue..then they ban that one..and he comes out with a third,..then they ban that one. He's been banned sooooo many times.

View attachment 922923

What a great way to give the Chinese a bad rep on PDF..irritate the guy running it!

You don't see him banning me....that should be a big hint.
I have no problem with your posting habits bro.. only trying to show someone how selective he is

Rabid in your face nationalism is dying in American society, it would however be very wrong to imply that patriotism is dead. If patriotism in America was declining, then the Republican platform would collapse.

I am a 77 year old American who have lived most of my years in Virginia communities close to either Washington DC or to military bases near Norfolk. It is very clear to me that American patriotism IS severely declining. I believe the primary culprit is "wokeness". That is, the Democratic Party decided that they could gain "one-party" like political power by promoting identity politics and by attacking the basic Americal institutions as "white supremicist". They have suceeded beyond my imagining. I do believe that the America that built superpower military and economic strength is gone. The only thing that "saves" America from itself is that all other nations, including China, are also "screwed up" in their own ways. That is, fortunately for woke America, our competitors are also very flawed human beings. I cannot imagine today's United States sending its military anywhere to "save" someone else from harm or despotism. Taiwan, South Korea, or the Ukraine are not going to be rescued by American "boys". Probably, never again could the US mount an invasion like the Iraq war invasion of 2003.

I am a 77 year old American who have lived most of my years in Virginia communities close to either Washington DC or to military bases near Norfolk. It is very clear to me that American patriotism IS severely declining. I believe the primary culprit is "wokeness". That is, the Democratic Party decided that they could gain "one-party" like political power by promoting identity politics and by attacking the basic Americal institutions as "white supremicist". They have suceeded beyond my imagining. I do believe that the America that built superpower military and economic strength is gone. The only thing that "saves" America from itself is that all other nations, including China, are also "screwed up" in their own ways. That is, fortunately for woke America, our competitors are also very flawed human beings. I cannot imagine today's United States sending its military anywhere to "save" someone else from harm or despotism. Taiwan, South Korea, or the Ukraine are not going to be rescued by American "boys". Probably, never again could the US mount an invasion like the Iraq war invasion of 2003.
Woke is unironically a much needed coping mechanism for the American society to fully embrace without any reservations. otherwise the country could easily end up like post-apartheid South Africa

And maybe you should follow beijingwalker to see the daily propaganda 😋
do you have anything to say about the actual topic other than playing dumb with me?? Here is the original WSJ reporting in case you want to call it Chinese propaganda again

do you have anything to say about the actual topic other than playing dumb with me?? Here is the original WSJ reporting in case you want to call it Chinese propaganda again
Yes. That it's impossible to make a similar poll in China,due to State censorship.

It really depends......

In Poli-Sci class, we were taught Patriotism is a term of "Relativism"

In the Military, we were aught Patriotism is what you expressed to a common enemy.

The thing is, what actually is Patriotism? Do I have to drive a F150 pick up, drink coca-cola, eat apple pies, drive a Hummer, pledge my Allegiance every day, rise my flag on the flag pole or have my flag display proudly in my Facebook account to be considered a patriot?

Patriotism in America mostly only exist, or display prominently, when someone attack us. Both were the case before Pearl Harbor and 9-11, before those events, no one talks about the concept of American Patriotism, the issue here is, most people in the world (including the US) do not follow the gung-ho American Style patriotism like you see on TV, most American would not express that, but in terms of Patriotic Value, after living in Australia, the Europe (for a while) and Hong Kong, I can tell you this, American Patriotic value are more entrenched in most other Western Society, I have not see one single person come up to a vet on Military Holiday anywhere but the US and say "Thank You for your service"

Was that Patriotic? Or not because we don't march like the Chinese or Russian do? Well, you be the judge.

I can tell you this, American Patriotic value are more entrenched in most other Western Society, I have not see one single person come up to a vet on Military Holiday anywhere but the US and say "Thank You for your service"

Was that Patriotic? Or not because we don't march like the Chinese or Russian do? Well, you be the judge.
My most basic understanding of patriotism is some form of "love of country" and "love of fellow countrymen". I see that declining all around me. Even the formulation I just made love of "countrymen" is anti-woke because of the word root "men" I used. If you said such a phrase on an American university campus, hecklers would attack you as being non-inclusive. The majority of students would understand what you were really saying, but would not openly support you for fear of being attacked themselves. I believe that "woke" Americans do not love America. They have no realistic understanding of how America's institutions, while flawed and imperfect, are still the best humanity has so far been able to build. Their nhilistic power is directly responsible for the decline in American patriotism. The woke left has captured all the main sources of cultural dialog in the USA: news media, education, and entertainment. Their self-hatred is making America itself lose its former confidence in its values.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom