What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

Today another surprise by PAF
Is it Azm or Bk-03
2 tails single engine.View attachment 701468

Nope, neither a twin-engined JF-17 nor even AZM ... just the main modules in which every JF-17 is manufactured before final assembly.

1609337424797.png

Some countries like Usa started with 6th gen. concepts and are using 5th gens like F35 as testbed to overcome failures for these future designs. Perhaps this is also the case with China and Russia too.
One thing in common to all of them is the removal of vertical stabilizer to ensure all aspect stealth. Slanted vertical stabilizer will still work in air to air scenario as the long wavelength radars are too bulky to be carried on aircraft but ground-ship based large lw radars can detect them from several 100kms.

One study was the FATE and ICE study. Instead of rudder and vertical stabilizer some new options are all moving wingtip and spoiler-slot-deflector. Ofcourse the guidance is by fly-by wire the computer calculates the yaw-roll-pitch and reduces it to make the plane stable in flight in addition to pilot control inputs.

ICE3.jpg

There was also the experiment of X-31 removing the vertical stabilizer and use TV and side control surfaces on the body for yaw control.

X31-2.jpg

Additionally Usa 5th gen. concept required vtol capability. Vtol has its own problems to deal with. We also in near term dont have the capability to develop that kind of ultra powerful engines that can carry aircrafts own weight yet. Smaller engines like those on F4-F5(J79,J85) can be developed and can be largely produced though in near future if investments and research are made. So it would be a more self sufficient option in near term to continue with conventional take off.

So to increase survival second important thing is in my opinion is the ability to land on grass/dirt/gravel airstrips. These can more easily be built and aircraft can be secured while the airbases are damaged and repaired. Two options to protect the plane engine and its composite body from debris are FOD engine blockers and FOD-wheel blockers. It would require a larger wheel to accomodate for the rough terrain.

wheel-fod.jpg

Here is the FOD engine blocker and upward inlets on Mig29 used in landing and taking off.

mig29.jpg

Here is a video of commercial jet landing on a grass airstrip. It is possible but needs some research for heavier faster aircraft to land like this.

Slanted tail will still work in air to air and airbases can be protected like mountain bases additional highway strips and so on. So current 5th gen designs and conventional landing will still work in most missions. But we should think two steps ahead and cost effective ways to overcome the problems ahead about it as they are already in the 6th gen. stage. maybe currently producing them as well.

J-35 is a J/FC-31 variant specialized for EMALS Aircraft Carrier.

Pakistan already have 5th Gen Stealth Fighter Project (PF-X) with China in the name of Project AZM. Based on this J/FC-31.

Anyway I believe, that Pakistan will move to Hi-Lo Combination for their Air Forces. With J/FC-31, and J-10 & JF-17.

Just like China, even they already have J-20, they still pumping out J-10 & J-16 as their Hi-Lo Combination
How do you know Project AZM will be the version of J-31/FC-31???

How do you know Project AZM will be the version of J-31/FC-31???

Project AZM is a cooperation between China and Pakistan. At this moment, China have 2 design for 5th Gen Stealth Fighter (J-20 and FC-31)

So, I believe that Project AZM is a specialized 5th Gen Stealth Fighter for Pakistan using FC-31 as reference.

But yes, it can be a new clean sheet design.
That's mean it will take longer time.

So let's wait for further info

Project AZM is a cooperation between China and Pakistan. At this moment, China have 2 design for 5th Gen Stealth Fighter (J-20 and FC-31)

So, I believe that Project AZM is a specialized 5th Gen Stealth Fighter for Pakistan using FC-31 as reference.

But yes, it can be a new clean sheet design.
That's mean it will take longer time.

So let's wait for further info
We have already have image of AZM that is finalized by PAF, and it is not based on FC-31/J-31
Project-Azm.jpg
ESp-Xm2UcAEUums.jpg

sorry, but J35 is not for sales. Just like 052D or 055 not for sales, only 054 or 056 for the export market.
What makes you say this?
We have already have image of AZM that is finalized by PAF, and it is not based on FC-31/J-31
View attachment 705738View attachment 705739
I'm not sure you can call this a finalized design though. I think a joint venture is more favorable for Pakistan because if it wants to realize this design by itself, the costs of importing the subsystems, mainly from China and Turkey, will be extremely high. The LCA Tejas debacle always comes to mind here. But the YF-23 esque design plus canards is quite interesting I must say.

Last edited:
The first image from here, right?
View attachment 705740

Don't take conclusion too fast. Especially regarding what you call "Finalized Design"
There is still many step/phase to reach that point

Let's wait until first prototype shown up
I think Pakistan can probably turn this design into reality ... both China and to a smaller extent Turkey can supply the subsystems to realize this. However, I am really not sure if China is willing to share its stealth RAM coating and the metamaterials used on the J-20 with Pakistan yet.

The first image from here, right?
View attachment 705740

Don't take conclusion too fast. Especially regarding what you call "Finalized Design"
There is still many step/phase to reach that point

Let's wait until first prototype shown up
brother its finalized Design by PAF not by me

Last edited:
I think Pakistan can probably turn this design into reality ... both China and to a smaller extent Turkey can supply the subsystems to realize this. However, I am really not sure if China is willing to share its stealth RAM coating and the metamaterials used on the J-20 with Pakistan yet.

About RAM coating, I believe it will.
China already share Nuclear Technology with Pakistan, and Pakistan also have good track record using Chinese weapon system

brother its finalized Design by PAF not by me

Good luck

About RAM coating, I believe it will.
China already share Nuclear Technology with Pakistan, and Pakistan also have good track record using Chinese weapon system

Unsensitive or commercial nuclear tech, yes but top secret/strategic nuclear tech, no, J20 is their strategic tech they can't share with us but they can only share 2nd grade or commercial stealth tech

Back
Top Bottom