What's new

Questions About Exploitation of Indian "IT Coolies"

Quli (قلی) was the title of person responsible for Sultan/Shah household. The title holder was very senior person and managed the logistics to setting up King's camp while the king was traveling or going to war. This word has been downgraded in British era to a person carrying the baggage. The person of South Asian ancestry are called Coolies in Caribbean and in Guyana. The Black people from Caribbean still call any person from South Asia as Coolie even in Canada.

“Most Indian (call center) employees have a six-day, 60-hour week, with 30 minutes each day for lunch and two breaks of 15 minutes each to go to the toilet,” said one of the two Indian union leaders. Many Indian call center workers are recent college graduates, or those who dropped out of school at age 20, drawn by relatively high salaries for younger workers — 15,000 rupees a month, or approximately $318.

“The work intensity is very high,” in Indian call centers, Bhattacharjee said. And overtime pay is infrequent, if paid at all, the union leaders said.

CWA and Indian unions take on call centers peoplesworld

Article posted 2006; Nice try but no cigar. How many unions are up & running in IT companies in 2010? Haven't heard of a single case.What the heck do you expect union leaders to say?

India to top Asia salary growth in 2010 - survey

HONG KONG | Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:14pm IST
(Reuters) - Companies in Asia are set to offer bigger pay rises next year as the region continues to rebound from global recession, notably in India where base salary levels are poised to jump nearly 10 percent, a survey showed on Wednesday.

Salaries in Indonesia and China will also surge, by 8.7 percent and 6.7 percent respectively, whereas workers in Japan can expect a paltry 2.1 percent pay rise, according to the survey by Hewitt Associates. The survey covered more than 2,000 local and joint-venture companies in the Asia-Pacific region.

Salaries -- or annual guaranteed pay -- this year in Asia's fast-growing economic powerhouses China and India, at 4.5 percent and 6.3 percent respectively, were the lowest since 2005, Hewitt said.

Salaries barely grew at all in Hong Kong and Japan, this year as companies cut staff. More than 60 percent of companies surveyed in Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore froze wage levels, compared with only 26.1 percent in India and 30.8 percent in China.

Next year, only 6 percent of companies in India and 8.3 percent in China expect to freeze pay compared with 12-14 percent of companies in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia.

Overall average Projected

salary increase salary increase

2009 (pct) 2010 (pct)

India 6.3 9.2

Indonesia 6.0 8.7

China 4.5 6.7

Philippines 4.3 6.4

Malaysia 4.1 5.2

Thailand 3.4 4.7

Korea 2.7 5.1

Macau 2.6 2.5

Australia 2.1 3.4

New Zealand 2.1 3.1

Taiwan 1.8 3.1

Singapore 1.8 2.6

Hong Kong 1.4 2.9

Japan 1.2 2.1

(Reporting by Susan Fenton; Editing by Ken Wills)

(For more news on Reuters Money visit Reuters Business & Finance - Business News India, latest financial news, Finance Business Headlines, India)

Notice which country does not even get a mention. That must really eat up your insides. No wonder you feel a need to write what you do.:hitwall:

I'm very happy for you and I hope you prosper further.

I will, however, tell you though that the story you narrate above is not the story of the 2-3M people involved in the IT industry in India. The bulk of these people are not paid wages like you. I don't like the "coolie" label and haven't used that word at all. It is demeaning to coolies - who work hard - and to IT workers. But if you've encountered personal success and have been able to buy a house and car, I don't think you should toot your horn about that especially because you are not talking about the vast majority of IT workers. The bulk of these folks work in call centers, or other indirect enablement positions and I guarantee you they don't own a 90lac home.

Anyway, I see you've decided to adopt a very sarcastic tone rather than attempting to discuss issues on their merit. If that's the road you want to go down, that's fine with me.

This whole thread is ridiculous beyond comprehension. We are sitting in the subcontinent where unemployment is in double digits and per capita GDP is in the range of $2000-$3000. And we are debating the downsides of an industry that has given productive employment to millions of people. Fine that most of them do a not so cutting edge work, but then does it matter?? In the region where millions are struggling to meet their basic needs of existence , we are debating that most of the cyber coolies (sic) are not able to meet their self actualization needs. C'mon Riaz grow up (intellectually, I mean ;) )

Article posted 2006; Nice try but no cigar. How many unions are up & running in IT companies in 2010? Haven't heard of a single case.What the heck do you expect union leaders to say?

India to top Asia salary growth in 2010 - survey

HONG KONG | Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:14pm IST
(Reuters) - Companies in Asia are set to offer bigger pay rises next year as the region continues to rebound from global recession, notably in India where base salary levels are poised to jump nearly 10 percent, a survey showed on Wednesday.

Salaries in Indonesia and China will also surge, by 8.7 percent and 6.7 percent respectively, whereas workers in Japan can expect a paltry 2.1 percent pay rise, according to the survey by Hewitt Associates. The survey covered more than 2,000 local and joint-venture companies in the Asia-Pacific region.

Salaries -- or annual guaranteed pay -- this year in Asia's fast-growing economic powerhouses China and India, at 4.5 percent and 6.3 percent respectively, were the lowest since 2005, Hewitt said.

Salaries barely grew at all in Hong Kong and Japan, this year as companies cut staff. More than 60 percent of companies surveyed in Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore froze wage levels, compared with only 26.1 percent in India and 30.8 percent in China.

Next year, only 6 percent of companies in India and 8.3 percent in China expect to freeze pay compared with 12-14 percent of companies in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia.

Overall average Projected

salary increase salary increase

2009 (pct) 2010 (pct)

India 6.3 9.2

Indonesia 6.0 8.7

China 4.5 6.7

Philippines 4.3 6.4

Malaysia 4.1 5.2

Thailand 3.4 4.7

Korea 2.7 5.1

Macau 2.6 2.5

Australia 2.1 3.4

New Zealand 2.1 3.1

Taiwan 1.8 3.1

Singapore 1.8 2.6

Hong Kong 1.4 2.9

Japan 1.2 2.1

(Reporting by Susan Fenton; Editing by Ken Wills)

(For more news on Reuters Money visit Reuters Business & Finance - Business News India, latest financial news, Finance Business Headlines, India)

Notice which country does not even get a mention. That must really eat up your insides. No wonder you feel a need to write what you do.:hitwall:

It just means that Indians are very poorly paid relative to other nations on the list....confirming what I said in my post earlier.

It just means that Indians are very poorly paid relative to other nations on the list....confirming what I said in my post earlier.

Lol you are so funny.
Does it really mean Indians are getting lesser salaries.:hitwall:
It actually means salaries increases in proportion to prise rises.. You may be happy if your country's salaries remain the same for a 100 years not us..

So pathetic.

Lol you are so funny.
Does it really mean Indians are getting lesser salaries.:hitwall:
It actually means salaries increases in proportion to prise rises.. You may be happy if your country's salaries remain the same for a 100 years not us..

So pathetic.

Buddy There is only one solution of this "RiazHaq". When does he starts a new thread just don't reply on it or just write "lol".

Here's an interesting Financial Times story about India's code coolies marriage prospects:

Pen-pushers are now outshining technology whizz-kids in India’s arranged marriage market as parents look to pair off their daughters with grooms who have more secure job prospects.

As the global financial crisis bites, public servants with steady employment are back in vogue as the ideal marriage partners, according to matrimonial website operators and matchmakers.
“In the marriage stock market, IT workers and investment bankers are the toxic assets,” said Pratik Kumar, human resources head at Wipro, India’s third-largest IT outsourcing company.

Since the recession, Indian families have been increasingly cautious about marrying their daughters off to overseas Indians because of the bad economy in the west. Now they are becoming wary of their own country’s “techies” and bankers.

“This is the first time we’ve seen a pullback from a steady increase in the acceptance of IT grooms,” said Gaurav Rakshit, business head at matrimony website Shaadi.com, where Indian families shop for spouses for their children.

Shaadi.com reported a 30 per cent shift away from IT grooms towards other industries, particularly civil servants and managers at state-owned companies who have higher job security and recently were awarded a large pay rise.

Top of the scale are civil servants, those from the ultra-elite Indian Administrative Service and Indian Police Service.

Kavita Reddy, a banker and mother of 26-year-old Bhavna, is one Bangalore parent who is becoming pickier when it comes to finding a life partner for her child. “A steady income leads to a happy life.

“I am not looking for someone from the finance market or the IT sector for my daughter, for obvious reasons. An IAS [officer] is the best. Doctor is the next.”

Code coolies - the toxic assets in marriage market - Sulekha coffeehouse Forums

FT.com / Asia-Pacific - India?s matchmakers have change of heart

Here's an interesting Financial Times story about India's code coolies marriage prospects:

Pen-pushers are now outshining technology whizz-kids in India’s arranged marriage market as parents look to pair off their daughters with grooms who have more secure job prospects.

As the global financial crisis bites, public servants with steady employment are back in vogue as the ideal marriage partners, according to matrimonial website operators and matchmakers.
“In the marriage stock market, IT workers and investment bankers are the toxic assets,” said Pratik Kumar, human resources head at Wipro, India’s third-largest IT outsourcing company.

Since the recession, Indian families have been increasingly cautious about marrying their daughters off to overseas Indians because of the bad economy in the west. Now they are becoming wary of their own country’s “techies” and bankers.

“This is the first time we’ve seen a pullback from a steady increase in the acceptance of IT grooms,” said Gaurav Rakshit, business head at matrimony website Shaadi.com, where Indian families shop for spouses for their children.

Shaadi.com reported a 30 per cent shift away from IT grooms towards other industries, particularly civil servants and managers at state-owned companies who have higher job security and recently were awarded a large pay rise.

Top of the scale are civil servants, those from the ultra-elite Indian Administrative Service and Indian Police Service.

Kavita Reddy, a banker and mother of 26-year-old Bhavna, is one Bangalore parent who is becoming pickier when it comes to finding a life partner for her child. “A steady income leads to a happy life.

“I am not looking for someone from the finance market or the IT sector for my daughter, for obvious reasons. An IAS [officer] is the best. Doctor is the next.”

..............lol...................

that news was during IT meltdown..

come on show us how low you can go now..

LOL some people are really stuck in 90's, every big IT corporation on the face of this planet has a R&D center in India

Corporations like Accenture, Microsoft, IBM, Google have employee strength of around 50,000 - 1,00,000 in India not to mention tons of local giant

Before the IT boom a fresh graduate either had to take up marketing or some odd job but today even a employable under graduate is sought after

Jobs to millions of people, export in excess of 50 billion dollars just what we need is a global brand name :victory:

:rofl:

Code coolies have built a 71 billion dollar industry..the whole Pakistan economy is only 170 billion is it not?

Buddy There is only one solution of this "RiazHaq". When does he starts a new thread just don't reply on it or just write "lol".

No dude, his threads are my favorite .

Its wonderful to see him coming again and again with all BS copy pasting from net and flooding it on forums..

I enjoy it every-bit.

Accepted guys in Some places they get 72 virgins so no need for salary Hike. It also means the countries mentions have all billionaires so they do not need hike.

I noticed the story was over 15 months old..So thought of looking up matrimonial trends in Pakistan for the same time to compare and contrast.. Following is what I could find.. Frankly, I am happier with the trend you identified for India than the one I did for Pakistan

Taliban issues matrimonial ?fatwa? in Pakistan

TALIBAN NOWADAYS is busy searching life partners for its activists. This so-called new marriage campaign is being run in most of the areas in Pakistan’s troubled NWFP through regular announcements from mosques. If you thought that Taliban is in a transitional mode, then you are on the wrong track. This campaign is one of the latest attacks on female identity by the Taliban.

Taliban has been known for its tough and rigid attitude towards the fairer sex and treats the females as second category citizens. The latest diktat issued by Taliban says that the parents of grown up daughters should own the responsibility of marrying them to Taliban activists who are fighting a ‘Jihad’. They have even threatened the families to abide by the orders or else be ready to face dire consequences. If parents did not act accordingly, the girls would be forcibly married off.

This order to forcefully marrying girls to Taliban activists is seen as an extension of Taliban’s crusade against female freedom in the areas under its sway in North West Pakistan. This inhuman diktat came to light when some of the affected women dared to approach authorities to seek help.

However, it is said that Pakistan government seems to have no control over north-western Swat valley which is considered a stronghold of the local Taliban. The situation has gone out of control and Taliban enjoys the status of an undeclared government. In the backdrop of this matrimonial diktat recently, Taliban had banned girls from going to schools and followers of Pakistani Taliban commander Maulana Fazlullah have since been reported to have blown up or torched over 100 girls’ schools in Swat.

Taliban have barred women from going to markets and have threatened them of harsh consequences if found outside their homes without identity cards and a male relative accompanying them. In case of couples, they are to carry with them marriage certificates to escape punishment.

As if all such brutalities imposed by Taliban in the last decade were not enough, they have come out with the order against female education and forceful marriage with the terrorists. This would definitely hamper the prospects of those families where the bread owners are female members.

Back
Top Bottom