What's new

Raja Kumar will be the new FATF President starting from today.

Is it better to get needled, or is it better to acknowledge another one from the sub-continent that is getting a position that he has worked for and earned?

Your question is unfair out of context. There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that the OP meant it as a taunt so I laid out his insinuation in the open and asked him to put up or shut up.

On the broader question, I try to avoid parochial reactions -- with a few exceptions. For example, I would be proud if a Pakistani-origin person or a Muslim achieved global recognition because it is rare and positive role models are sorely needed, but Indian-origin CEOs are common so nothing exciting. It's like I would get excited by an Australian getting a Nobel Prize, but seeing an Australia actor or sportsperson making it big on the global stage is not news any more.

Probably the only time I get excited for other South Asians is in arts and sciences. Aishwara Rai, Lata Mangeshkar, Satyajit Ray, etc.

Last edited:
Your question is unfair out of context. There is not a shadow of doubt in my mind that the OP meant it as a taunt so I laid out his insinuation in the open and asked him to put up or shut up.
It is a possibility that I never denied or rejected. My point was made to you and to the others, and it was to ask if you need to react against such possible taunts (to me, it remains a possibility, although a strong possibility).
On the broader question, I try to avoid parochial reactions -- with a few exceptions. For example, I would be proud if a Pakistani-origin person or a Muslim achieved global recognition because it is rare and positive role models are sorely needed, but Indian-origin CEOs are common so nothing exciting. It's like I would get excited by an Australian getting a Nobel Prize, but seeing an Australia actor or sportsperson making it big on the global stage is not news any more.
Fair response, and I would like to point out that it was precisely what you have stated, that we should be looking at and raising up those rare and positive role models, that formed the core of my post. There was some hidden bias; it seemed preferable to identify Pakistani-origin people, the other category recedes into a much larger universe of eminent achievements.
Probably the only time I get excited for other South Asians is in arts and sciences. Aishwara Rai, Lata Mangeshkar, Satyajit Ray, etc.
You might bear in mind that eminences like Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, or Mehdi Hassan have their counterpart - if you will forgive the phrase - following in India. It is not unilateral; those who admire excellence in the arts and sciences do so without regard to national affiliation within South Asia. You are not alone, millions share your sentiments.

Your question is unfair out of context.
Given these considerations, do you still think my question was unfair or out of context? I am willing to accept your opinion for it.

There was some hidden bias; it seemed preferable to identify Pakistani-origin people, the other category recedes into a much larger universe of eminent achievements.

Well, there's always a hierarchy of identification: self, immediate family, extended family, nation, religion, humanity. Where should ethnicity fit in this hierarchy? Should it? Should religion?

following in India

I was talking more of global recognition. I am sure there are lots of regional celebrities in South America, Africa, Middle East, East Asia, but it only really matters if they hit the global spotlight. Admittedly, there is a pro-West bias in global exposure (except for sports) but it is what it is... for now.

Some people might dismiss it as seeking the white man's approval, but that's not true. A global celebrity is respected by people in Africa, South America, Europe, Asia, everywhere, across all ethnicities.

Given these considerations, do you still think my question was unfair or out of context? I am willing to accept your opinion for it.

You are asking if taunts should be ignored or addressed? If people ignored taunts, half the threads on this forum would be empty. :)

If people ignored taunts, half the threads on this forum would be empty. :)
And that is a bad thing?

If people ignored taunts, half the threads on this forum would be empty. :)
To be honest, only the military threads are interesting any more, for me, personally, and without prejudice to any other member's preferences. Among those, too, only those where the Chinese members are fortunately absent, and not weaving a repellent atmosphere with their zeal and indefatigable energy.

The social threads are frankly depressing.

Where should ethnicity fit in this hierarchy? Should it? Should religion?
When put in those terms, well, no, they shouldn't. But they do, and within the confines of present, very muddied habit, yes, I do feel content to hear of Bengali, including Bangladeshi, progress, and of east Indian and south Indian progress beyond that, and beyond that, general Indian achievement, followed by south Asian as an entirety. Without any qualification, the achievements of women come right up at the top of the scale.

On religion, no, definitely not. It has to be confessed that this is a validation that is compromised by the reality that the numbers of those professing or born into my religion are so large that inevitably they occupy a larger number of positions in these lists of the praiseworthy than others do, so holding primly aloof and professing a freedom from parochial partiality is an easy position to take. The alternative would be perverse, however. Deliberately ignoring those who have done well and happen to be Hindus, and holding up for distinction only others would be even more hollow and unredeemable.

@Huffal
@Flight of falcon
@WotTen
@Sainthood 101
@Catalystic
@Whirling_dervesh
@One_Nation

It is sad to see so many people whining about an Indian getting a responsible international financial post, never mind that he is a Singapore Indian.
Instead of the whining, why not work for a Pakistani to get such a post?
Showing your envy and dislike in a competition created in your own minds will not change the situation; getting your own citizens trained and competent sufficiently well to get such positions might.

Pakistanis do not work as slaves.

Pakistanis do not work as slaves.
That is indeed wonderful news. It should be made very widely known.

I was talking more of global recognition. I am sure there are lots of regional celebrities in South America, Africa, Middle East, East Asia, but it only really matters if they hit the global spotlight. Admittedly, there is a pro-West bias in global exposure (except for sports) but it is what it is... for now.

Some people might dismiss it as seeking the white man's approval, but that's not true. A global celebrity is respected by people in Africa, South America, Europe, Asia, everywhere, across all ethnicities.
This part of your post is worth a separate and autonomous thread by itself, and trying to answer it piecemeal does not reflect the importance of the ideas that are reflected in it.

If, someday, you do bring up this thought as such an independent thread, I hope to notice it and to read the posts with great interest.

That is indeed wonderful news. It should be made very widely known.

West knows it. We do not want to compete with you in this.

1656897730256.png

Here goes yet another organization like IMF going down the drain …. Political appointees from India do nothing more than harp Modi policies and ruin the entire culture and reputation of any organization they join.
Hes an NRI
He's job is to take care of the organisation he's appointed to not serve Modi and India
If that was the purpose of these NRI
The CEO of Google Microsoft would have shifted these companies assets to India by now

Bhakts are people whom I have opposed for twenty years now, newbie.
Not a newbie to this world and this is not entire world or is it to you?. I can spot a bhakt when i see one. You'll have to prove it harder.

I've seen silly but this deliberate wanton silliness from you. Such silliness is somewhat like teens goofing around. Some of them have the mugs to be called cute but most others just end up being silly. Is that what you're going for here ?

With that long special effects mirror (you decide if the mirror makes you look fat thin tall or tiny but in no case right), I will once again ask:

W h a t c o n v I c t e d murderer became PM ?

OTOH if you just wanted to vent some frustration and facts didn't matter, be my guest.
Right - and i suppose that's your way of making yourself feel mature? lol.
Since you are behaving like a nalaik student, i have to give you a homework.
Come back after going thru the links thoroughly and then summarize to me in 5 points what you learnt from them about india's own connections to terrorism and blaming it on pakistan.
Don't be a back bencher all your life. This is your chance.

Right - and i suppose that's your way of making yourself feel mature? lol.
Since you are behaving like a nalaik student, i have to give you a homework.
Come back after going thru the links thoroughly and then summarize to me in 5 points what you learnt from them about india's own connections to terrorism and blaming it on pakistan.
Don't be a back bencher all your life. This is your chance.
Not at all interested in your preteen back'n' forth.

According to DAWN (I guess) Pak lost about $35 billion due to that grey list. I suppose apart from some entitled members here with no access to or access to choose to ignore the practical impact of FATF on pak economy, realising its worth of impact on 300 rupay timateer howitzer gun shots.

Only an ignorant can do such miscalculation. As long as to tell the outer world that “ ghar mein sub kuch thick hei”

That’s exactly why you guys failed.

Back
Top Bottom