What's new

Replacing the F-16: Will Pakistan’s Top Fighter Squadron Transition to Chinese J-10Cs?

No J-10c's will ever be bought in the near future. Pakistan will continue to rely on F-16s in the main strike role, and hope to upgrade the fleet further with the help of Turkey to prolong their lifespan, Either way, they will continue to serve until Project Azm brings a new jet to the fore. The JF-17 will continue to be part of the Lo mix with F-16s, while the Mirages will serve the Nuclear Strike, Ground Attack, and Anti ship operations role. This is it. When the time to retire the Mirages dawns, then the best option would be J-10s

I like the newer Chinese Flanker variants....to replace the F-16 in PAF inventory. In the past, I thought they were too big but with recent Chinese advancements and détente with Russia, I'm liking them more then J10.

Inducting

• 80 J-10 C , would be ideal scenario to help refresh the Squadrons
    • Phase 1 : 40 Jets (2 Squadrons for North) , ease burden on F16 C/D
    • Phase 2 : 40 Jets (2 Squadrons for South) , help retire some older Mirages

Just to Supplement the F16 C/D with backups

We can't keep putting up big mileage on F16 C/D

The platforms below are must to balance out the Technology gap due to flying Mirages
  • JF17 Block 2 / 3
  • J10-C

However , due to Covid , if Government wants to focus on other matters that is fine for 1 or 2 years no major urgency lot of assets already in Pakistan

Last edited:
If Swedes can make its engine, or if we invest in their R&D, can grippen be a replacement of F-16? can we get meteor with grippen?

Lets visit this thread in 2040
Sir you were saying we are getting new jets. So if it's not J-10 which one it is ? And yes we know J-10 C won't replace F 16 but isn't J-10 C coming to replace F 7 and add power to our Air Force.
No J-10c's will ever be bought in the near future. Pakistan will continue to rely on F-16s in the main strike role, and hope to upgrade the fleet further with the help of Turkey to prolong their lifespan, Either way, they will continue to serve until Project Azm brings a new jet to the fore. The JF-17 will continue to be part of the Lo mix with F-16s, while the Mirages will serve the Nuclear Strike, Ground Attack, and Anti ship operations role. This is it. When the time to retire the Mirages dawns, then the best option would be J-10s
J-10 C will never replace F-16 but no F-16 is not your strike jet. F-16 is mainly used for Air Defence role against India. Your main strike jets are 50 year old Mirages which needs to be replaced and for that J-10 C is the best and most easy option.

50 year old Mirages
USAF's B52's will remain in service for 100 years. Delta winged AC are quite sturdy.....Considering mirage3/5 AC are made of simple aviation grade aluminum, PAC can rebuild the entire airframe if needed. Combine with an ample stock of spares and there should be no reason the mirage3/5 cant fly for 80+ years in the PAF. In the strike role Mirage 2K and Tejas aren't much better then the Mirage 3/5. The Israeli's considered the later blocks of the Kfir (a mirage 3/5 derivative) almost as good as the F-16

Last edited:
Getting downgraded from Emerging Market status to "Frontier Market" and here people are discussing spending billions on Planes.

Who gives a shit. American companies are hardly lining up to invest in Pakistan that suddenly we have to worry about what an American ratings agency thinks or does. Our economy is improving and all the signs that matter suggest it will continue to improve despite what all the I'll wishers predicted and hoped for.

Sir you were saying we are getting new jets. So if it's not J-10 which one it is ? And yes we know J-10 C won't replace F 16 but isn't J-10 C coming to replace F 7 and add power to our Air Force.

J-10 C will never replace F-16 but no F-16 is not your strike jet. F-16 is mainly used for Air Defence role against India. Your main strike jets are 50 year old Mirages which needs to be replaced and for that J-10 C is the best and most easy option.

Despite what people say M3/5 & F7's have no place in a modern air force. Do people even bother thinking how these antique aircrafts show up on radar? I'm sorry but a/c's older than me need to be replaced ASAP

As to your query, CAS are on record for saying "we will maintain first shoot capability", all I can say is that Blk52 is not what they had in mind.

Despite what people say M3/5 & F7's have no place in a modern air force. Do people even bother thinking how these antique aircrafts show up on radar? I'm sorry but a/c's older than me need to be replaced ASAP

As to your query, CAS are on record for saying "we will maintain first shoot capability", all I can say is that Blk52 is not what they had in mind.
Finally someone agreeing with me. Yes please for GOD sake retire Mirages and F-7. They are way old. Secondly we need a jet which can do BVR fights but also we also need a jet which carries out strikes deep into Indian territory like hitting Mumbai and Bengaluru and Goa and other cities in India.

There is a limit to upgrade. A reason why other AF retired the A/B version.
OEM last recommended overhaul for Mirage 3 is GV2 with each GV cycle done every 10-12yrs of service. PAC is doing GV4 on Mirages now. Now imagine how long we can keep F-16s flying when OEM still supporting overhauls and evolving platform. F-16 will be replaced by Azm, but a stop gap purchase for Mirages can't be ruled out.
17:11

J-10s should had been acquired the first time they were offered during Musharraf Era, by now we would had been progressing much better by getting fully accustomed to the jet along with who knows maybe local assembly line but as usual as soon as the americans dangle the F-16 carrot, we start drooling over it like a bunch of kids going to a candy store.
Now even though we have upgraded our existing fleet however we cannot build its numbers that are needed for a potent force against India. They are just too handful to be a serious deterrent. Project Azm is too far away, no way we can wait that long with our existing fleet of Jf-17s Mirages, F-7s and handful of F-16s. A potent fighter heavier than JF-17 is badly needed to supplement the F-16s while JF-17 replaces mirages and F-7s.

Back
Top Bottom