What's new

Featured Russia would be developing upgraded engines for Pakistan's JF-17 fighters

Hey, i just commented under it, ill attach them here to explain as to why i think they arent for the PAF.

1605027651304.png

Hey, i just commented under it, ill attach them here to explain as to why i think they arent for the PAF.

View attachment 687286
What is your source, about PAF not going for RD-93MA?

RD-93 is currently installed on JF-17s. No other aircraft is flying with RD-93.

RD-93MA is an upgradation and obvious replacement of older RD-93s.

PAF will not cap out JF-17s. Further blocks are in pipeline.

MRO facility at Faisal means that older RD-93s will be upgraded to RD-93MAs.

What is your source, about PAF not going for RD-93MA?

RD-93 is currently installed on JF-17s. No other aircraft is flying with RD-93.

RD-93MA is an upgradation and obvious replacement of older RD-93s.

PAF will not cap out JF-17s. Further blocks are in pipeline.

MRO facility at Faisal means that older RD-93s will be upgraded to RD-93MAs.

Lets think logically:
Block 3s are on the production line. RD93MA is not ready. Has the PAF ever mentioned inducting the MA? No? Oh right.

What's the source for Further blocks? This is the first i am hearing of this. As much as i want further blocks, its beyond unlikely at this point with PAF focusing on AZM. 200 JF-17s alongside 90-150 AZM and some other things seems to fit in with PAFs sqn strength ambitions/

I remember back in the day when JF-17 Thunder Block-1s were gonna come online. There was talk of Pakistan Air Force projected to have anywhere between 150 to as many as 250 JF-17 Thunders. Given where we are now, with the Thunder Program on full throttle and with the current climate in the region. I wouldn't put it past Pakistan Air Force to go for the full compliment of 250 Thunders.

It isn't outside the realm of possibility that Pakistan Air Force "may" procure as many as 100 Block-3s. Nor is it impossible to speculate that Blocks 1s and 2s would be brought to Block-3 standards. Which means that the engines would also feature as part of the upgrade. Now if the figure for Pakistan Air Force is 200 Thunders, then 400 engines is a realistic figure to consider.

Also, has anyone even bothered to consider that Pakistan Air Force would maintain a war chest and an extra 200 RD-93MAs would figure into such an equation.

Come on guys, Pakistan Air Force is world renowned to be a thoroughbred professional armed service. Contingency is synonymous with Pakistan Air Force.

There is no reason why the entire fleet of JF17s cannot be upgraded to the RD-93MA. The dimensions will remain the same and to upgrade will mosly likely just require an update to the software of the aircraft. The original JF17 engine has a shelf life of 2,000 hours, after which it needs to be replaced. If you consider how long the JF17 has been in PAF service(from 2008 onwards), it is quite possible that the original JF17 Block 1 engines are now starting to run out of life, and they will need to be re-engined with RD-93MA's once the RD-93MA have been tested.

Additionally, you only have to look at how many Mushtaq's PAA/PAF etc ordered so see that PAF will be keen to keep the JF17 line running for quite some time, and that a fleet of upto 400+ units is now not unimaginable, ie the entire PAF fleet to be composed of JF17s and F16s only with the MiragesIII/Vs, F7&PGs all sent to the recycling bin that they now need to go to.

What ever Induction plans PAF had when the JF17 entered service(ie 150 units was the original plan) will have changed, due to the circumstances around those decisions having also changed. ie lack of new F16s availability, increasing Indian threat with Rafales, results of airwar in Feb 2019 which it shot down an Su30MKI, and a Mig21 will factor into the decision making cycle. PAF will see the need for more new planes now in 2020, then it did before Feb 2019 as the threat of confrontation has increased so much.

This site is pretty accurate for Chinese Aviation news : http://chinese-military-aviation.blogspot.com/p/fighters-ii.html

They predicted the form and function of the J20 perfectly a decade before it was unveilev officially.

Last edited:
basically its the same engine core..rd93ma is not a different engine

IMO even though i am amateur.. sticking with old rd93 even if rd93ma is available is ridiculous

Its not, The MA is a huge sunk cost, more money out of our forex reserves, we also pay for every JF-17 out of pocket. The MA would be costlier as the RD-33 benefits from the 93s EoS whereas we would not have the same advantage with the MA.

In 2015, IHS Jane’s Defense Weekly reported Pakistan would continue to use Russian engines for the JF-17 even though China was developing an alternate engine. “We are completely satisfied with this Russian-made engine,” an official Pakistan Aeronautical Complex had told IHS Jane’s Defense Weekly. Pakistani officials had claimed "changing to another engine would not make any sense and would be disruptive and cause a huge expense for the JF-17 programme"

I thought you were aiming for EJ200s?
they pissed everyone in europe off lol

The university professor of someone I know from the other forum works at TAI, F404 has been selected and development has been going on for months.

In Europe, we don't have any problems with a country other than Greece, even with Germany, we only have problems specifically only in military engines, others don't have this problem.

The F404 was chosen because, as we feared, the EJ200 doesn't have a single-engine configuration and TAI doesn't want to pay for its preparation.

The university professor of someone I know from the other forum works at TAI, F404 has been selected and development has been going on for months.

In Europe, we don't have any problems with a country other than Greece, even with Germany, we only have problems specifically only in military engines, others don't have this problem.

The F404 was chosen because, as we feared, the EJ200 doesn't have a single-engine configuration and TAI doesn't want to pay for its preparation.

Thanks a lot, I also just saw that news in the TFX-thread.

Back
Top Bottom