What's new

Safari Storme beats Scorpio to replace Indian Army's Gypsy Fleet

Chanakya's_Chant

Reaction score
Country
India
Maruti's Gypsy on its way out; Tata Safari to be new Army vehicle
gypsy.jpg

NEW DELHI: The Army will replace its iconic Maruti Gypsy fleet with a new range of SUVs, having selected the Tata Safari Storme for an initial order of close to 3,200 vehicles, which could increase 10-fold in the coming years.

While an official announcement is yet to be made, ET has learnt that Tata Motors beat off the Mahindra Group, which fielded its Scorpio SUV for the competition that kicked off in 2013. Both locally developed SUVs passed rigorous technical trials by the army, which tested the vehicles in all conditions – from high-altitude, snow-bound regions to deserts and marshy land.

However, the Tata Group appears to have presented a better financial deal to the army, which has sought to replace its fleet of Gypsy vehicles that are used extensively at the battalion level to transport troops and officers.

The army has over 30,000 Maruti Gypsy vehicles in service and will progressively replace them starting next year. “The initial order is for 3,198 new SUVs but the total number is likely to go much beyond that. The army prefers a single model across its units and formations as it is easier on logistics,” an official involved in the process told ET.

While the Gypsy has been an army favourite for its ability to navigate tough terrain, the need was felt for a new SUV with additional safety features and more power that runs on diesel, a fuel that’s more readily available, given its large fleet of trucks and heavy-duty vehicles.

Once signed, this will be the second major order for Tata Motors this year, having bagged a Rs 1,300 crore deal in January to supply high-mobility military trucks for the army. The 6x6 high-mobility vehicles can be used for various purposes – from transporting men and material to being the platform for multi-barrel rocket launchers and surface-to-air missile systems.

Source:- http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...my-vehicle/articleshow/55820893.cms?prtpage=1

looks good

Not that good as it seems. We had a Safari Dicor LX previously. Even though it was powerful, it had a very bad fuel pump problem, which as per technicians is a design fault and almost all Dicor's have that. I hope the Storme is better. :)

Not that good as it seems. We had a Safari Dicor LX previously. Even though it was powerful, it had a very bad fuel pump problem, which as per technicians is a design fault and almost all Dicor's have that. I hope the Storme is better. :)
thanks for info sir

I am using Strome, The Strome , having Self Adjusting clutch , which make the clutch like feather / lightest then any Western / Japanese car.

It more Fun to Drive , only thing , i find missing EPS

The news reporting is not correct.....
Safari Storme will not replace Gipsy.....
There were 2 different tenders, one GS 500 and other one GS 800. These are the weight categories of the vehicle. In 500 category Gipsy has already been reseleacted. Safari Storme has been in compilation for GS 800 category.

@bloo. These will not be armored vehicles. They are general purpose vehicles.

Safari is a well proven model at PMO. We have delivered 100s of them to PMO in all versions. Including Armored one.....
Have you noticed presence of Safari on Republican day or Independence day?????
Only Indian vehicle apart from Ambasidor, which is outdated...

Safari is a well proven model at PMO. We have delivered 100s of them to PMO in all versions. Including Armored one.....
Have you noticed presence of Safari on Republican day or Independence day?????
Only Indian vehicle apart from Ambasidor, which is outdated...

Well I don't disagree, but I was just sharing my experience. :)

I myself was hoping it would be the Scorpio.
I've had an experience with both the vehicles and currently own a Scorpio.
In terms of performance, fuel economy and space I think it would had been a better choice.
Also the muscular build :-)

I myself was hoping it would be the Scorpio.
I've had an experience with both the vehicles and currently own a Scorpio.
In terms of performance, fuel economy and space I think it would had been a better choice.
Also the muscular build :-)
Did you drive Storme ? After a while Scorpio feels quite just Okay plus storme looks more leener plus Scorpio maintenance is quite high and Scorpio is less Aerodynamic. Scorpio nothing but Gaon ki Gadi, I am quite Happy with selection.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom