What's new

Saima Wazed Putul (Sheikh Hasina's daughter) elected as WHO South East Asia Regional Director

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

Chanchal Chakraborty, AA

Saima Wazed Putul elected as WHO South East Asia Regional Director

Saima Wazed has been elected as World Health Organization's (WHO) regional director for South East Asia (SEARO) for the next five years. She won the election by 8-2 votes.State Minister for Foreign Affairs Md Shahriar Alam confirmed the development yesterday.

Among the candidates, Saima Wazed was nominated by Bangladesh, and Dr Shambhu Prasad Acharya was nominated by Nepal.

The Regional Committee of WHO South-East Asia voted on Wednesday to nominate the next regional director in a closed meeting during its 76th session in New Delhi, India. Health Minister Zahed Maleque and health secretary, among others, were present.

Reacting to the news, Saima Wazed wrote on her X (formerly Twitter) account: "Thank you to @WHOSEARO Member States for choosing me to be their next Regional Director!"

"I would like to pay tribute to our outgoing RD, Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh, for her decade of service to the public health of our region.

"A special tribute as well for my fellow nominee in this race, Dr Acharya. In his long & distinguished career, he has been an invaluable asset to @WHO - and I hope our region will continue to benefit from his knowledge & experience.

"I look forward to building a healthier South-East Asia," she wrote.

The nomination will be submitted for appointment by the 154th session of the WHO Executive Board, which takes place from January 22 to 27, 2024 in Geneva, Switzerland. The newly appointed regional director will take office on February 1, 2024 for a five-year term and be eligible for reappointment once. Earlier, Saima was nominated by the Government of Bangladesh for the post of regional director of WHO SEARO.​

She got elected? But she could not answer most of the questions asked by the panel of judges.

WHO SEARO Director election: Momen thanks India, other countries for supporting Saima Wazed​

• UNB NEWS
  • DHAKA
  • PUBLISH- NOVEMBER 01, 2023, 03:30 PM
  • UNB NEWS
  • UPDATE- NOVEMBER 01, 2023, 05:54 PM

WHO SEARO Director election: Momen thanks India, other countries for supporting Saima Wazed

Saima Wazed

Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen on Wednesday (November 01, 2023) thanked the countries, especially neighbouring India, noting that they actively supported Bangladesh’s campaign for Saima Wazed’s win in the WHO South East Asia Regional Director election.

“I must thank all the countries, especially India. They helped in our campaign. They actively supported our candidature,” he told reporters at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Saima Wazed has been nominated, through an election, as the Regional Director (RD) of the South East Asia Regional Organization (SEARO) of the World Health Organization (WHO) for the term 2024-2028.

Bangladesh candidate Saima Wazed wins WHO SEARO Director election

The election took place during the 76th session of the Regional Committee for SEARO, the annual governing body meeting of WHO at the regional level, in New Delhi today (November 01, 2023).

The election was held by secret ballot with the participation of the 10 member states of the SEARO which were eligible for voting.

Saima Wazed bagged eight votes in the bid while the other candidate Dr Shambhu Prasad Acharya, nominated by the Government of Nepal, secured two votes.

“I expected 9 votes. Thank God. It was a big challenge. All of us worked very hard. We maintained a very decent campaign,” the foreign minister said.

Momen, however, expressed displeasure over mudslinging by a certain group against the Bangladesh candidate.

“I found her excellent in technical knowledge and she is also a good organiser,” said the foreign minister.

Nomination for WHO Regional Director: Top health experts of the country laud Saima Wazed’s leadership abilities

This election with overwhelming support reflects the recognition of Saima’s passion and relentless work in public health and demonstrates the confidence and trust of the region in her leadership skills, the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi said.

“Thank you to WHO SEARO Member States for choosing me to be their next Regional Director,” Saima Wazed said in reaction.

She paid tribute to the outgoing Regional Director Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh, for her decade of service to the public health of the region.

“A special tribute as well for my fellow nominee in this race, Dr. Acharya. In his long and distinguished career, he has been an invaluable asset to WHO - and I hope our region will continue to benefit from his knowledge and experience,” she wrote on X (formerly Twitter).

“I look forward to building a healthier South-East Asia,” she added.

The nomination will be submitted for appointment by the 154th session of the WHO Executive Board, which takes place from January 22 to 27, 2024 in Geneva, Switzerland.

The newly appointed regional director will take office on February 1, 2024 for a five-year term and be eligible for reappointment once.

WHO regional director election: Momen conveys Bangladesh’s gratitude to Thailand for support to Saima Wazed

Earlier, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in coordination with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, conducted an effective campaign in favour of the Bangladesh candidature since the very beginning of the election process.

The SEARO is one of the six regions of WHO with its headquarters in New Delhi, India.

It comprises 11 countries, namely, Bangladesh, Bhutan, DPR Korea, India, Indonesia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Timor L'este.

The SEARO is headed by the RD who is nominated by the members of the SEARO countries.

Ha ha ha - hoiley ki hobey, vote jara disey (int'l panelist) shobaike "Khushi" kore disey.
কত টাকা ঢেলেছে কে জানে? নিজের অযোগ্য মেয়েকে পদ পাইয়ে দিতে রাস্ট্রীয় কোষাগার খালি।
BA fail chhatrikey merit list e uthanor moto bapar.
অনেকটা তাই। ইন্টারভিউতে একটি প্রশ্নের উত্তর দিতে পারে নাই পুতুল। তার পরেও নির্বাচিত। আওয়ামী ম্যাজিক আর কি।

Congratulations.

It's good that she was given a more realistic name than her mother.

কি বলব @Bilal9 ভাই। আমি হতবুদ্ধি! ওকে ভোট দিল কে?

Jader taka khawaisey, orai disey. Shob desher voting representatives.

Voting hoisey to Jamai'r deshey. Tarai shob asaan korey disey.

Apner ar amar rokto pani kora taka, jeta churi korsey.

Congratulations.

It's good that she was given a more realistic name than her mother.

I am surprised she did not take the "Sheikh" name.

Last edited:
I have never seen before such a physical, living/breathing emobiment of conflict of interest. It is almost like
someone collaged Hasina's head onto a younger body.
If she ever visits Hasina in her official capacity, people would be wondering "WHO is who?".

I have never seen before such a physical, living/breathing emobiment of conflict of interest. It is almost like
someone collaged Hasina's head onto a younger body.
If she ever visits Hasina in her official capacity, people would be wondering "WHO is who?".

Takey bhuna khashir goshto ar porota ektu kom khaitey bolen.

$5000 parlor session e khoroch koirao luv nai.

Nijer health er e ei obostha - WHO er health status thik rakhbey kemney?

I am looking for the video on her interview. Could somebody give me the link?

I am looking for the video on her interview. Could somebody give me the link?

Here is the video, Saima Wazed starts at 16:00 minute mark. It is somewhat eye-opening that almost all the Bangladeshi commenters in the comment section supported Dr. Shambhu Acharya from Nepal, knowing his qualifications and also knowing how unqualified Saima was.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom