What's new

Shaan wants Pakistan to produce epics about local heroes, history

We Pakistanis lack good story tellers and script writers.

Agreed with the man although he himself isn't any better as he can't act for shit and acted in probably over 100 useless movies already.

The thing is, Pakistanis are an incompetent lot through and through in almost every walk of life and entertainment industry is not any different.

From stupid name like lollywood to garbage acting, garbage direction, garbage production, garbage story, garbage promotion to garbage viewers who like nothing but garbage, alot of garbage, doses upon doses of garbage over and over again first from local sources and then from neighbouring garbage sources.

Then comes garbage system of jealousy and nepotism. Good shareef actors are systematically sidelined and below mediocre shitty actors are promoted. And then their relatives are promoted who can't act for shit. Stories remain same, actors remain same, just name of the drama/movie changes.

As for kids cartoons, lol, Pakistanis can't even dub cartoons in Urdu let alone make them.

Like I said, through and through incompetent nation.

that incompetency is a direct result of nepotism and favoritism..

We Pakistanis lack good story tellers and script writers.

For story writers we should consult Mohsin Hmaid, one of his books was made into the movie “The Reluctant Fundamentalist”. Which garnered mixed reviews and was a box office failure but did show that a Pakistani writer with a decent story to tell could find a studio willing to give it a shot. He also has a McKinsey background and probably maintains his contacts with the organization as well.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2032557/criticreviews?ref_=m_tt_ov_rt

If Kumail Nanjiani is not your cup of tea, then there is Riz Ahmed. He also has a lot of experience and would be a great resource people in the Pakistani film industry can tap into. He would also know many people that could help.

but now that these guys and society is hopefully moving past the post-9/11 worldview, the world will be ready to receive Pakistani cinema and actors in stories across the spectrum of the human experience

Last edited:
Shaan wants Pakistan to produce epics about local heroes, history
SAMAA | Digital
Posted: May 2, 2020 | Last Updated: 14 hours ago
Shan-Shahid.jpg

Photo: SAMAA Digital

Actor and director Shaan Shahid is not happy about the Turkish epic on Ertugrul Gazi being aired on PTV this Ramazan.

On Prime Minister Imran Khan’s request, the Turkish soap chronicling the life of the Muslim warrior, has been airing on PTV every day. The 179-episode drama series—whose original title is Dirilis: Ertugrul—has been dubbed into Urdu.

According to the prime minister, watching the show will make the youth learn about Islamic history and ethics.

In a tweet on Friday, the actor made a sarcastic remark about the show. Sharing a photograph of a protective face mask, the actor said that he bought a Rs160 mask for Rs2,500.

“This is what we do in Ramazan, high prices on life saving items and food prices also touching the skies…after watching our Turkish Islamic history and learning all the good words and deeds this is what we actually practice,” he tweeted.

Earlier, the Lollywood star had tweeted at Senator Faisal Javed, who is the chairperson of the standing committee on broadcasting and heritage, and asked him to focus on Pakistan’s history and heroes rather than the Turks.

While lauding the senator’s announcement, Shaan said that PTV should produce epics like this.

https://www.samaa.tv/news/2020/05/shaan-wants-pakistan-to-produce-epics-about-local-heroes-history/

, pakistani will learn islamic history from turkish drama,s , , imran schmucck

and turkey will learm corruption from pakistan politicians,

For story writers we should consult Mohsin Hmaid, one of his books was made into the movie “The Reluctant Fundamentalist”. Which garnered mixed reviews and was a box office failure but did show that a Pakistani writer with a decent story to tell could find a studio willing to give it a shot. He also has a McKinsey background and probably maintains his contacts with the organization as well.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2032557/criticreviews?ref_=m_tt_ov_rt

If Kumail Nanjiani is not your cup of tea, then there is Riz Ahmed. He also has a lot of experience and would be a great resource people in the Pakistani film industry can tap into. He would also know many people that could help.

My cup of tea was this movie..Shan as lead role.
It was the best modern day Pakistani Production to happen , the writer was an Aussie, rest of the production team was Pakistani.

it flopped... people threw it out of the cinemas as they couldnt understand half of the movie with english dialogues.

Last edited:
My cup of tea was this movie..Shan as lead role.
It was the best Paksitani production ever to happen in last 70 years in my view ,the writer was an Aussie, rest of the production team was Pakistani.

it flopped... people threw it out of the cinemas as they couldnt understand half of the movie with english dialogues.

It comes down to the audience. There is a smaller audience for this type of film rather than one like the South Korean film Parasite.

domestic as well as foreign audiences, by and large, don’t like geopolitical films except as a comedy such as “The Interview”. People like to keep movies either light or some kind of fantasy fiction where the issues Of our world can be discussed but the characters have to be visibly from “another world”; i.e. like Star Wars or Harry Potter.

Last edited:
It comes down to the audience. There is a smaller audience for this type of film rather than one like the South Korean film Parasite.

domestic as well as foreign audiences, by and large, don’t like geopolitical films except as a comedy such as “The Interview”. People like to keep movies either light or some kind of fantasy fiction where the issues Of our world can be discussed but the characters have to be a visibly from “another world”; i.e. like Star Wars or Harry Potter.
The baby boomers and Gen X in our country still largely see Indian cinema as their source for entertainment.

Since this thread is about films on historic figures i want to keep focus on that and not divert..
The reason we dont have a taste for historic films is because we were never taught proper history in schools.That section in our head only knows few key figures .Muhammad bin Qasim as the guy who brought us Islam(which is not the case) and founding fathers..maybe tipu sultan is another figure we know..Ask a street dweller to name a few mughal kings or ask them who was mehmud and they will stutter .
So anyone who would be putting money in such a production would be doing a gamble.Plus uch projects have to be supported/funded by state like these TRT productions as they require huge loans and guarantees to bypass redtape.
Now PTV does not have the capacity to do such things.You cant have a mule run a drag race.
Personally i have lost hope..I usually am not that sort of person but here i have no expectations at all.

Last edited:
The baby boomers and Gen X in our country still largely see Indian cinema as their source for entertainment.

Since this thread is about films on historic figures i want to stay focus on that and not divert..
The reason we dont have a taste for historic films is because we were never taught proper history in schools.That section in our head only knows few key figures .Muhammad bin Qasim as the guy who brought hem Islam and founding fathers..maybe tipu sultan is another figure we know..Ask a street dweller to name a few mughal kings or ask them who was mehmud and they will stutter .
So anyone who would be putting money in such a production would be doing a gamble.Plus uch projects have to be supported/funded by state like these TRT productions as they require huge loans and guarantees to bypass redtape.
Now PTV does not have the capacity to do such things.You cant have a mule run a drag race.
Personally i have lost hope..I usually am not that sort but here i have no expectations at all.

Perhaps a film about regular people in the time of Muhammad bin Qasim would be more relatable to the people. It can be appreciated on many levels, where the viewer doesn’t need to know the full history the appreciate the story. Adding an element of science fiction and a love story to the period drama could garner more viewers. An accidental time traveler (falling into or touch a natural portal, nothing too fancy) goes back to the time of Muhammad bin Qasim, and takes part in historical events. We as the viewer would be interested in the historical record to guess what is likely to happen to our protagonist by the time The next episode comes around. All the rich aspects of life in that period could be explained over the course of many seasons.

something similar to this series about Scotland in the 1700s

Shan Is Right When Bollywood Can Glorify Marathas We Should Glorify Abdali

Lets hope we dont make one about about Muhammad bin qasim. Romanticising pillarers won't do any good for us

Those who have gone like fawad khan ends up playing gay or minor side roles. Then Ali zafar and imran abbas also wasted years and years.
I don't think that's entirely accurate. Ali Zafar had become a mainstream actor in India and not 'exotic' as other non-Indian actors are treated. He was well on his way till the terrorist actions on India reduced Indian appetite for Pakistani talent.

Actor and director Shaan Shahid is not happy about the Turkish epic on Ertugrul Gazi being aired on PTV this Ramazan.

Totally agreed with him
While Turkey legalizes prostitution and alcohol, it is exporting is cultural imperialism to indoctrinate foreign youth in Pro-Turkish jihad and soft power. Pak-India has a deep-rooted and proud military history and it is time we start educating the youth in our local heroes instead of borrowing tales from Bin Qasim and Ertughal

Bin Qasim came to loot and plunder while the Ottoman had degrading and racists opinions about the Indians, and got more than a match at the hands of the British Indian army in Egypt and Iraq.

Totally agreed with him
While Turkey legalizes prostitution and alcohol, it is exporting is cultural imperialism to indoctrinate foreign youth in Pro-Turkish jihad and soft power. Pak-India has a deep-rooted and proud military history and it is time we start educating the youth in our local heroes instead of borrowing tales from Bin Qasim and Ertughal

Bin Qasim came to loot and plunder while the Ottoman had degrading and racists opinions about the Indians, and got more than a match at the hands of the British Indian army in Egypt and Iraq.

lol... what a load of crap...

while goodie goodie india does what?....

the further we stay from the degernate indian culture the better.. turkish/arab culture any day any time

Totally agreed with him

Did you do ghar wapsi?

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Ali Zafar had become a mainstream actor in India and not 'exotic' as other non-Indian actors are treated. He was well on his way till the terrorist actions on India reduced Indian appetite for Pakistani talent.
Well I seriously don't consider side role, or a hero in cheap 3rd grade movie qualify for being mainstream.
Pakistani singers have left a mark and rahat would be written down in history to providing countless hot songs. So does atif.
But these actors are not doing well and we have to accept that.
There is no apetite in the start. Hinduata phenomenon or anti Muslim and anti Pakistan sentiment doesn't emerge in a day or a result of some terrorist activity.
It is always there and that is shown in the form of no main role given to the actors.

Back
Top Bottom