What's new

Side by Side Opening of Top Gun and Top Gun Maverick

The opening of Top Gun and Top Gun : Maverick show the deck operation of a US Aircraft Carrier. This video shows the side-by-side comparison of the original Top Gun montage on USS Enterprise back in 1986 and the Tom Gun Maverick montage on USS Nimitz in 2020

Could have tried the USS Ford

The opening of Top Gun and Top Gun : Maverick show the deck operation of a US Aircraft Carrier. This video shows the side-by-side comparison of the original Top Gun montage on USS Enterprise back in 1986 and the Tom Gun Maverick montage on USS Nimitz in 2020
But where is Top Gun 786 (2019)? :enjoy:

Both the new one and old Top Gun are absolute shit.

If you want to enjoy peak aerial photography and videography watch The Final Countdown
I remember I wore out the VHS tape , having watched it so many times as a kid. I used all my allowance to get the tape. There was nothing close available. And now my son actually has enough of it to embrace the lines as he plays with 1/72 scale model planes.

The pilots have to give TG and TG:M a pass. If they were made closer to accurate/realistic, you would end up with the equivalent of 'Red Flag, the Ultimate Game'. All excellent footage, but seems more like a Smithsonian documentary.

While both TGs had their fair share of unrealistic shots, TG:M took the prize for when they do the multi-Hornet launch prior to the strike mission and they turn left, but are all so closely spaced together as if they were WWII Corsairs launching off the carrier vs. Cat shots at 130 kts where the launched aircraft is not in view a few seconds after launch.

OTT?

Older (1984) beginning looks much classier.

They did kind of screw up that opening - they should have started off Top Gun 2 with that Maverick Darkstar scene and then opened to these credits
No its perfect when you have the opening music and leading to the carrier scene. Be weird to have the Top Gun anthem music and opening scene of Maverick just exiting his mobile home in a hangar with Danger Zone coming on. And that's after having that brief summary of what is Top Gun. Imagine that.

The pilots have to give TG and TG:M a pass. If they were made closer to accurate/realistic, you would end up with the equivalent of 'Red Flag, the Ultimate Game'. All excellent footage, but seems more like a Smithsonian documentary.

While both TGs had their fair share of unrealistic shots, TG:M took the prize for when they do the multi-Hornet launch prior to the strike mission and they turn left, but are all so closely spaced together as if they were WWII Corsairs launching off the carrier vs. Cat shots at 130 kts where the launched aircraft is not in view a few seconds after launch.
Most war movie if made to accurate and realistic would be very boring. I was involved in some War movie production and many time people want excitment over historical correctness, because it would be like you said, turn into a documentary.

On the other hand, Flight Deck montage is the fore guard of ANY carrier-based movie in the world. If you are flying aircraft from aircraft Carrier, you would include a scene or two of Flight Deck operation in that movie, this is like a requirement now.

OTT?

Older (1984) beginning looks much classier.
I agree, and more nostalgic

Love this!

Owen Wilson is badass in this.

...many time people want excitment over historical correctness, because it would be like you said, turn into a documentary.
Yeah...About that...

I cannot remember but once a long time ago I watched a documentary about film making, and a director, I cannot remember his name, defended his fellow directors' penchant for exaggeration and deviation from reality. He made a point that I ended up agreeing with him. That there is a difference between 'storytelling' and 'informing'. To sum it up, from that day on, I gave directors and their movies latitudes on how they want to tell a story. Just enjoy the story and minimize my personal experience.

Supposedly, this short Polish animation inspired TG:M aerial scenes. Excellently done. Watch to the end.

1986 was revolutionary! What a movie.

Supposedly, this short Polish animation inspired TG:M aerial scenes. Excellently done. Watch to the end.

I don't know, it seems cool, but I am more into storyline.

I grew up watching this in Hong Kong

Well, aside from the usual Japanese Anime (or Manga) that over sexualise Woman, this actually have a very good story. The story is about a soon-to-be-disbanded all female squadron who try to survive the cut from the JASDF and then somehow got injected with an Ace Trainee who went on having to choose to stay in this squadron or move on to fly the F-15J which considered elite back in 1990s.

If only thy pair this with Ace Combat level of Graphic, that would probably prop up more than it had back in the 90s.

I don't know, it seems cool, but I am more into storyline.

I grew up watching this in Hong Kong

Well, aside from the usual Japanese Anime (or Manga) that over sexualise Woman, this actually have a very good story. The story is about a soon-to-be-disbanded all female squadron who try to survive the cut from the JASDF and then somehow got injected with an Ace Trainee who went on having to choose to stay in this squadron or move on to fly the F-15J which considered elite back in 1990s.

If only thy pair this with Ace Combat level of Graphic, that would probably prop up more than it had back in the 90s.
Seen Area 88?

Back
Top Bottom