What's new

Significance of Normandy

Zeeshan S.

Reaction score
Normandy attack was huge and devastating. Why was Normandy beach so important to allies?

Thanks in advance. :banana2:

Originally posted by mysterious@Jan 28 2006, 03:55 PM
Normandy attack was huge and devastating. Why was Normandy beach so important to allies?

[post=5696]Quoted post[/post]​

is this ur H.W question? :wacko:

Originally posted by A.Rahman@Jan 28 2006, 09:17 PM
is this ur H.W question? :wacko:
[post=5700]Quoted post[/post]​

:cheesy: Yes, but i want to discuss it and get into details, cause i believe it is the right place. :?:

The normandy was actually important for Russians not for U.S. I believe they did it personally.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Soon after the cold war was started, and Russians were pissed on allies for not opening an another front. So after the invasion of Normandy a second front was created. Hitlers troops were divided in to two, and two powers were now doing an all out attack!

Originally posted by Zeeshan S.@Jan 28 2006, 08:55 PM

[post=5696]Quoted post[/post]​

Normandy attack was devastating because the vast majority of German troop were tied down in the Eastern Front against the Red Army.

It wasn't so important to the Allies because they could have landed further North or just kept pushing up from Sicily (Italy).

Normandy was just the site, chosen for it's many superior characteristics, to get a foot hold in hilter's fortress europe

it was relatively close to germany, and was occupied territory, so the people when liberated would be on the allies side, and therfore provide a safe area for the allies to get more troops in

from there te allies could just march into germeny (the reverse of the Shiliphan plan)
-------------
it was the allies foothold in europe and it was a far superior location to land on, as compared to the other sites of holland, spain, and denmark

for the normandy invasion plan look up operation neptune (the name of the normandy invasion plan)

Back
Top Bottom