Reaction score
ON SEARCHING THROUGH WIKIPEDIA.ORG
I FOUND OUT THAT PAK ARMY CURRENTLY HAVE ONLY 320 AL-KHALID TANKS
,EQUAL 320 NUMBERS OF T-80UD TANKS
AND EVEN EQULAL NUMBERS OF 300 AL-ZARAR TANKS

THE QUESTION IS THAT OUR ARMY PLANNED TO BUILD NEARLY 600 AL-KHALIDS
,ADDITIONAL INDUCTION OF NEARLY 250 T-80UD TANKS
AND EVEN THEY PLANNED TO BUILD NEARLY AS 1000 AL-ZARAR TANKS

SO NOW I WANT TO ASK WHY ARE WE STILL FAR BEHIND FROM OUR PLANNED TARGET?
STILL KNOWING THE FACT THAT ON THE OTHER HAND INDIANS HAVE NEARLY 2500 OLD AND NEW UPGRADED VERSIONS OF T-72 AJEYA TANKS
AND NEARLY 657 T-90 TANKS CURRENT(WHICH BY 2015 WILL GO TO FIGURE OF 1650)
SO I NEED SOME HELP FROM OUR MILITARY EXPERTS ON THIS POINT

In one word- budget.

Pakistan can only sffrod to build X numbers of AK's and upgrade X number of older tanks per year. If too much money is spent other areas suffer like civil programs, the air force, other land combat systems etc. Even the US with its seemingly endless budget and printing presses can't do everything all at one. Don't forget Pakistan is getting other types of new equipment like the A-100 MLRS so the whole force is undergoing a slow but steady force modernization.

i think we have t 80 areound 300 and al khalid is already in production every year around 50 we get them i think we need to get one more type of tank leopard will be great but in dreams

Keeping up the guess work guys! :tup:

What's the best source to get some official figures from? ISPR?

The 300 or so AK figure is a very old figure, that also based on speculation. As PA will never reveal the exact figures, even there are news that the T-80UD figure is 500+. But it can't be confirmed, until someone provides the correct number of units with the precise type of armament they have, then may be we can take a guess figure on what we have.
The exact figure would always be a secret, as in a war it can be of strategic importance.

Plus, most probably the AK production may have stopped or going at a slow pace, as rumored news about a possible upgraded AK is being heard a lot. So once one optimum final design is tested & evaluation complete, the production of AK will get into full gear.

"Chairman of Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) Lt. General Hamid Javed, himself a cavalry officer and familiar with the user requirements, said the factory has a capacity of producing 100 Al-Khalid tanks a year to meet the needs of national defence. At present, however, 50 tanks per year will be manufactured as required by the Pakistan Army. He said, if a friendly country placed an order for the tank the HIT would be able to meet the demand." Q outed from the inauguration ceremony of AK in 2001 when 15 tanks were handed over to PA.

Further read on this Army Guide - Al-Khalid, Main battle tank

So, looking at both the reports, it can be safely assumed that the 600 mark may have been easily achieved.

Further, i had read somewhere that the initial production target would be 600 AKs, after which the more heavily upgraded AKs would be inducted, also the up gradation of the old ones too will start then.

YEAH EVEN MY GUESS IS THAT WE ALREADY HAVE ACHIEVED THE TARGET OF 600 AKs
BUT WHAT ABOUT T-80s
ARE WE ONLY HAVING 320 T-80s WITH US OR WE HAVE ALREADY GIVEN THE ORDER OF MORE 250 T-80s TO UKRAINE(IN 2002)

BUT WHAT ABOUT AL-ZARAR
HOW MUCH THEM WE HAVE
CAN ANYONE TELL THE EXACT FIGURE
BECAUSE I HAVE NO GUESS RELATED TO AL-ZARAR

"Chairman of Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) Lt. General Hamid Javed, himself a cavalry officer and familiar with the user requirements, said the factory has a capacity of producing 100 Al-Khalid tanks a year to meet the needs of national defence. At present, however, 50 tanks per year will be manufactured as required by the Pakistan Army. He said, if a friendly country placed an order for the tank the HIT would be able to meet the demand." Q outed from the inauguration ceremony of AK in 2001 when 15 tanks were handed over to PA.

Further read on this Army Guide - Al-Khalid, Main battle tank

So, looking at both the reports, it can be safely assumed that the 600 mark may have been easily achieved.

Further, i had read somewhere that the initial production target would be 600 AKs, after which the more heavily upgraded AKs would be inducted, also the up gradation of the old ones too will start then.

the best estimate is as follows;

Al-Khalid = 270 by end of 2009 - eventual requirement 1,200 tanks
T-80UD = 320 - no further requirement.
Al-Zarrar = 300 tanks - eventual requirement 600 tanks but these will never be considered front-line MBTs. will be used mostly for CI and training.

finally there is keen interest in acquiring surplus German Leopard II tanks (~300) to maintain the PA tank numbers till Al-Khalids numbers are achieved.

PA requirement is a minimum of 2,000 MBTs to match India.

the best estimate is as follows;

Al-Khalid = 270 by end of 2009 - eventual requirement 1,200 tanks
T-80UD = 320 - no further requirement.
Al-Zarrar = 300 tanks - eventual requirement 600 tanks but these will never be considered front-line MBTs. will be used mostly for CI and training.

finally there is keen interest in acquiring surplus German Leopard II tanks (~300) to maintain the PA tank numbers till Al-Khalids numbers are achieved.

PA requirement is a minimum of 2,000 MBTs to match India.
BUT ACCORDING TO ASIAN DEFENCE JOURNAL's SOURCE
WE AK & AZ TOO WITH FIGURE OF 320

BUT ACCORDING TO ASIAN DEFENCE JOURNAL's SOURCE
WE AK & AZ TOO WITH FIGURE OF 320

no estimate by any source can give exact figures unless u have the official production figures from HIT which i doubt anyone can get. I know a lot of our forum members make "claims" of inside knowledge, relatives in armed forces (including me at times) but even that info is not 100%

no estimate by any source can give exact figures unless u have the official production figures from HIT which i doubt anyone can get. I know a lot of our forum members make "claims" of inside knowledge, relatives in armed forces (including me at times) but even that info is not 100%

TAXILA, Feb 11 (APP): The Standing Committee of National Assembly on Defence Production on Wednesday was apprised that Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) has handed over 570 state‑of‑the‑art tanks to Pakistan Army.

During a briefing to the visiting committee headed by Sheikh Aftab Ahmed Chairman HIT Lt. General Ayyaz Salim Rana informed that HIT would handover a lot of 30 tanks to Pakistan Army by mid this year.

He said with the completion of the last batch of 30 tanks would accomplish the project of manufacturing of 600 Alkhalid and Alzarrar main battle tanks.

The HIT was awarded project by Pakistan Army in 2002.
In addition to the manufacturing of tanks, HIT also manufactures Armed Personnel Carriers (APCs), Security Vehicles and other defence related machinery while it plans to start manufacture Dozers, Prime Movers, Dumpers

and equipment of commercial value.

HIT has been negotiating deals for supply of Security Vehicles to provincial government of NWFP.

Chairman of the Committee while expressing satisfaction on the performance and achievements of HIT said the organization has been making highly valuable contributions in augmenting the country’s defence.

He appreciated their role and said that they have been playing vital role in saving huge amount of foreign exchange whereby offering considerable relief to the national exchequer.

Sheikh Aftab Ahmed said, “ We are proud of our defence forces which are always charged to defend the motherland.”

He assured their help to overcome hurdles on the way to export defence production of the country adding that the Committee would submit its recommendations to the government soon.

Later, the Committee also went around various factories and witnessed different stages of manufacturing different products.

The Committee also was taken to the Education Park set up for imparting quality education to the children of HIT workers and youth of surrounding areas of Taxila.

The Education Park homes Montessori school to University besides a separate educational institution for Deeni Taleem.

All visiting members of the committee including, Mian Abdus Sattar,

Sher Muhammad Baloch, Azeem Daultana, Mrs Belum Husnain, Sahibzada Muhammad Fazle Karim, Naseer Bhutta, Omer Sohail Zia Butt, Malik Nauman Ahmed Langrial, Mrs Fouzia Ejaz Khan, Muzaffar ul Mulk, and Tariq Mehmood Bajwa including Chairman planted separate saplings in the park.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - News

Back
Top Bottom