What's new

Sri Lanka to raise Indian nuclear plant issue at IAEA sessions

India: Nuclear and seismological map - India News - IBNLive

1.That above is the Indian Nuclear and seismological map updated up to 01 Feb 2012.

2. The massive earthquake in Japan and the subsequent nuclear crisis has triggered fears of nuclear security across the world, including India.

3.Most of India falls in the moderate risk to very high risk seismic zones and so do a majority of India's nuclear reactors. While there are no nuclear projects in Zone V (seismic intensity of 8 and above), the proposed Jaitapur Nuclear Power plant falls in Zone IV on the earthquake hazard zoning map. The map above plots India's nuclear power plants on a seismic map.

4. BD is more vulnerable than SL. Already reports are suggesting that Holcim cement is mixed with nuclear waste ash dumped by India.

5. With a lethargic and lazy bureaucracy, neglected security services, and inept/ inefficient scientists / engineers, nuclear plants are most unsafe in the hands of GOI.

Apr 08, Colombo: The Sri Lankan government is to raise the issue of the risk faced by the country from the nuclear plants in the South Indian coast in close proximity to Sri Lanka at the next International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) sessions.

Power and Energy Minister Champika Ranawaka is to raise concerns over the South Indian nuclear plants when the IAEA sessions are held in September this year.

Ranawaka told ColomboPage that the issue about the South Indian nuclear plants was raised at the last IAEA sessions and that a request was made for the Agency to intervene in a disaster mitigating programme.

The Minister said the IAEA had proposed that a mutual agreement on the matter should be reached between the two countries.

"We have sent a proposal to India through the External Affairs Ministry and the Indians have sent back a note on the matter," he said.

According to Ranawaka, the Indian government has sent a proposal to commence a broad based discussion while Sri Lanka wants only to discuss and reach an agreement on a disaster mitigating programme in the event of a nuclear disaster in the South Indian plants.

Sri Lanka has no nuclear power plant but India has set up several nuclear power plants in South Indian states. Sri Lanka is just 20 kilometers away from Indian main land at the closest point.

There are three nuclear plants in South India and it was recently decided to expand the Koodankulam nuclear plant in India's Southern coast, just 250 km from Sri Lanka's northwest coastal town of Mannar.

When completed the Koodankulam plant will produce 4.5 GW of power making it one of the world's largest nuclear plants.

In the event of a nuclear disaster in a South Indian plant, Sri Lanka would be in the direct path of the impact range and the disaster would wreak havoc in the tiny island.

Sri Lanka Atomic Energy Authority does not possess adequate facilities to face a threat of nuclear accident.
Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka to raise Indian nuclear plant issue at IAEA sessions

Now,I am completely convinced of the Chruch's role in the conspiracy against Koodankulam.

Now this is perfect,the plant has to come.I ll build one more in Ramanathapuram just to piss off the chaiwallahs.

Ain't it funny that you didn't bother raising the issue with Kalapakkam nuclear plant that's there for decades in Tamil Nadu?

I mean it even survived a Tsunami and it functioning fine.

Nuclear_Power_Plants_in_India_map1.jpg
770 MW Reactors are the Indian Reactors. :tup:

Now,I am completely convinced of the Chruch's role in the conspiracy against Koodankulam.

Now this is perfect,the plant has to come.I ll build one more in Ramanathapuram just to piss off the chaiwallahs.

How about a JV then?? I'll be more than happy to share my LaTeSt techss.... :kiss3:

Indians should take its neighbours concerns more seriously

I think SL should go ahead and ask chinese to construct another port!!

Indians should take its neighbours concerns more seriously

What made you think that india isnt doing it in this case. As far as we know, SriLankan concerns are being replied to by proper channels.

Lankans are stretching too much in everything. It will be good time to stop that. Before diplomatic approach changed to the that nation. If its bad for India to have hostile neighbour it's worst for Lanka as well

The Lankan government is well within its rights to raise its concerns. They are doing their job, which is looking out for their national interest and the security of their people.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom