What's new

Sri Lankan monk sets himself ablaze over cow slaughter

Let's cut the cr@p. we south Indians have one of the worst dietary habits in the world. All carbs and very little of everything else. thats why our people are small, scrawny ,suffer from diabetes and die early.

I think you are wrong here.. Our food culture was one of the best in the world.. The diabetes and other diseases came only after we went for fast foods and all those stuffs as @bronxbull said, I also see many old people who are healthy here in my village than the youth..

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a huge difference between Cow's milk and a Hen's egg,I am not forcing my belief on you.

Food served outside in a restaurant is public concern,if you slaughter your own cow and eat the beef,nobody can have a say in this matter.

My point is each domestic animal give us some thing or other to us.. That does not mean that we should not kill them..

Anyway its your religious belief and I respect that..

Public concern?? What are you talking about?? Today is food, tomorrow it will be possessions held by other religions.Why we have to be this much narrow minded? Let those who consume meat, consume it and those who do not, ignore them..

I think you are wrong here.. Our food culture was one of the best in the world.. The diabetes and other diseases came only after we went for fast foods and all those stuffs as @bronxbull said, I also see many old people who are healthy here in my village than the youth..

I am talking about out diet right now. During ancient times, rice was a luxury and hence we were forced to eat healthier less tasty options. South India was also an area prone to famine historically causing our bodies to survive with very less food. That's why we cannt handle excess carbs or fat.
Things have gotten worse now because of the sedentary lifestyle today.

It is not a Sinhalese religion but generally a primitive deity worship (sun worshiping, tree or rock worshiping etc.) religion.

refer to

http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh100.pdf

chapter 5 page 6-7

A noteworthy feature of the
pre-Buddhist religion of Sri
Lanka is that it was a mixture of
the
aboriginal cults and the beliefs
of the Aryan newcomers. The worship of yaksas and
yaksinis was a widely prevalent
aboriginal custom of pre-
Buddhist Lanka.
King
Pandukābhaya, the grandfather
of Devānampiyatissa, provided shrines
for many of these spirits and
also gave them sacrificial
offerings annually. Some of
these yaksas
and yaksinis mentioned by name are Kālavela, Cittarāja,
Vessavana, Valavāmukhi and
Cittā.
Vyādhadeva, Kammāradeva and
Pacchimarājini, though not
known as yaksas and yaksinis, also
belong to the same category of
aboriginal spirits. Trees like the
banyan and palmyrah were also
connected with the cults of
these spirits showing that tree- worship was also prevalent.

Yakas n Yakshnis r every much part of Hinduism, they r even mentioned in our various epics like Mahabharata.

In addition even today various trees like Banayan r worshiped by Hindus.:)

Daily Mirror E-Paper

It is built before the time of Mahinda thero.

Ok i didn't knew about that but its a well know fact that its only after the advent of Mahinda Buddhism become a wide spread religion in SL.

What is your point here? just like me you do not have any credible source to back your theory up. If you have any evidence please post.

I have provided u proof in the previous thread too if u remember.

Anyways here u go :

Sinhala (Siṃhāla) is actually a Sanskrit term; the corresponding Middle Indic word is Sīhala; the actual
Sinhala term is heḷa or (h)eḷu. The Sanskrit and the Middle Indic words have as
their first element (siṃha and
sīha) the word "lion" in the respective languages.[4] According to legend, Sinhabahu or Sīhabāhu ("Lion-arms"), was the son of
a Vanga princess and a lion. He killed his father and
became king of Vanga. His
son Vijaya would emigrate from north India to Lankā and become the progenitor
of the Sinhala people. Taking
into account linguistic and
mythological evidence, we
can assume that the first
element of the name of the people means "lion".[5] As for the second element la,
local tradition connects it to
the Sanskrit root lā- "to seize",[6] as to translate it "lion-seizer" or "lion-killer",
or to Sanskrit loha/Sinhala lē
"blood", to have it mean
"lion blood". From a
linguistic point of view,
however, neither interpretation is convincing,[citation needed] so that we can only safely
say that the word Sinhala is
somehow connected to a
term meaning "lion". Disputing this traditional
etymology, however, Thomas Burrow, argued that the word may instead be Dravidian in origin. He suggests that the Dravidian
word "Eelam" (or Cilam) meaning "toddy", referring
to the palm trees in Sri
Lanka, was later absorbed
into Indo-Aryan languages.
This, he says, is also likely the source for Pali '"Sīhala".

Now its ur turn to bring the Chinese connection along with the interpretation.

@Gibbs would like to hear ur pov too.:)

@HeinzG

Even the Sinhalese script has got Indian connection which too belonged to pre-Buddhist era. :)

Sinhala has its own writing system, the Sinhala alphabet, which is a member of the Brahmic family of scripts, and a descendant of the
ancient Indian Brahmi script.
The oldest Sinhala
inscriptions found are from
the 6th century BCE, on pottery; the oldest existing literary works date from the 9th century CE.

Yakas n Yakshnis r every much part of Hinduism, they r even mentioned in our various epics like Mahabharata.

In addition even today various trees like Banayan r worshiped by Hindus.:)

Daily Mirror E-Paper

You have to first clarify the term "Yaksa and Yaksani" in SL contex. In SL "Yaksa and Yaksani" means devils or dead spirits. This practice is still prevalent among Vedda community.

And Mahabharata and Sri Lanka are poles apart. Can you certainly say those Yakas n Yakshnis mentioned in Mahabharata are as same as the Yaksa tribe of Sri Lanka?

Moreover I do not think that the Vedic Hinduism of nomadic hordes could have affected the tiny island located to the south.

Ok i didn't knew about that but its a well know fact that its only after the advent of Mahinda Buddhism become a wide spread religion in SL.

Yes indeed.

Now its ur turn to bring the Chinese connection along with the interpretation.

http://www.pdn.ac.lk/purse/Proceedings/2011/hch/hch8.pdf

When we examine the Chinese names used with reference to Sri Lanka, it is evident
that a number of methods have been followed. For example:

1. One method has been to translate on the basis of
the meaning of the word. For example:
"shizi guo", " shizi zhou" (sihadipa)

2. Another method was based on criteria such as the
main materials like gems found in Sri Lanka. For example:
"bao zhu" "bao zhou" (Ratnadipa)

3. There is another category based on the pronunciation of the word denoting Sri Lanka. For example:
"xilan" (Ceylon),
"Seng jia luo" (Sihala)

@HeinzG

Even the Sinhalese script has got Indian connection which too belonged to pre-Buddhist era. :)

Agreed. But there is no wide scale accepted theory about the pre-Buddhist era Sinhalese language.

compared to other states, backward castes of TN are more empowered.

The castes that are called as backward in TN were never backward in the first place,

from my my native place,i can point out people like Ex Tn Assembly speaker Avudayappan was a lawyer back in the 60s and he comes under MBC quota,Most doctors in the area are Christian Nadar/Muslim.

I dont think Pillaimaar/Vellalar/Mudaliar/Koundar/Naidu/Naicker/Christian Nadar/Udayar are backward in anyway.

The whole classification of BC is a huge bogus in TN.

truly backward people include Mukkulathor/Vanniyar amongst the caste hindus.

My point is each domestic animal give us some thing or other to us.. That does not mean that we should not kill them..

Anyway its your religious belief and I respect that..

Public concern?? What are you talking about?? Today is food, tomorrow it will be possessions held by other religions.Why we have to be this much narrow minded? Let those who consume meat, consume it and those who do not, ignore them..

it is an issue in the public sphere,next we can say whats wrong with prostitution,whats wrong with kandu vatti/high interest rates,whats wrong with drugs after all all of them happen with the consent of the consumers and not forced upon them.

why would the posessions of other religion be a problem,you are asked to give up beef and that too of the cow,thats just one thing.

Majority people tolerate a lot that they dont like but giving up just one thing is an issue for you?

I mean you dont have a problem paying a bribe somewhere but beef is an issue.

I am talking about out diet right now. During ancient times, rice was a luxury and hence we were forced to eat healthier less tasty options. South India was also an area prone to famine historically causing our bodies to survive with very less food. That's why we cannt handle excess carbs or fat.
Things have gotten worse now because of the sedentary lifestyle today.

what famine dude?

Does it look like famine,if we had famine we should handle excess carbs as u eat a lot when you get a chance.

Sinhala (Siṃhāla) is actually a Sanskrit term; the corresponding Middle Indic word is Sīhala; the actual
Sinhala term is heḷa or (h)eḷu. The Sanskrit and the Middle Indic words have as
their first element (siṃha and
sīha) the word "lion" in the respective languages.[4] According to legend, Sinhabahu or Sīhabāhu ("Lion-arms"), was the son of
a Vanga princess and a lion. He killed his father and
became king of Vanga. His
son Vijaya would emigrate from north India to Lankā and become the progenitor
of the Sinhala people.

"Sinhala" means siv+hela. siv means four. it describes the 4 hela groups.

"Eelam" = Land of Sinhala

You have to first clarify the term "Yaksa and Yaksani" in SL contex. In SL "Yaksa and Yaksani" means devils or dead spirits. This practice is still prevalent among Vedda community.

And Mahabharata and Sri Lanka are poles apart. Can you certainly say those Yakas n Yakshnis mentioned in Mahabharata are as same as the Yaksa tribe of Sri Lanka?

Moreover I do not think that the Vedic Hinduism of nomadic hordes could have affected the tiny island located to the south.

I gave u ref of Mahabharat tp clarify the presence Yaksha n Yashni in Hindusim n not to establish some relation between Mahabharata n SL.:)

Yaksha n Yashni r considered as supernatural beings in Hinduism n r generally taken more off as negative powers. So yes they seem very much related.

Were did u bring Vedic normads from early Vedic Civilazation(not normads) dates back to 1700-1100BC while we r discussing pre-Buddhist era of 600-400BC.
N during Pre-Buddhism period Sanatan Dharma aka Hinduism was wide spread over the entire Subcontinent including Southern India.

Agreed. But there is no wide scale accepted theory about the pre-Buddhist era Sinhalese language.

READ my previous post for Sinhala Script again it dates back upto 6 Century BC(i.e. pre-Buddhist period).
It clear shows the established connection between SL n Ancient India during Pre-Buddhist era.

As far as the Chinese r concerned what u have provided me is just what Chinese used to call SL during that period that does not mean Sinhala was derived from Chinese.

Words like Anudhapura(ancient name of SL during pre-Buddhist era) r Hindu words.

Here is a proof which further establishes that Sinhala was indeed derived from Sanskrit n Pali which has been accepted by various Scholars.

Ceylon and related names

Also deriving from the
Sanskrit Sinhala via the Pāli
Sihalam, the 4th-century Roman historian Ammianus Marcellinus called the inhabitants of the island
Serandives and the 6th-
century Greek sailor Cosmas Indicopleustes ("Cosmas India-Voyager") called the
island Sielen Diva ("island of
Sielen"), with both -dives
and Diva merely forms of
dwîpa, meaning "island".
From Sielen derived many of the other European forms:
the Latin Selan, Portuguese Ceilão, Spanish Ceilán, French Selon, Dutch Zeilan, Ceilan and Seylon, and of course the English Ceylon. Further variants include Seylan,
Zeylan and Ceylan. Today,
Ceylon and its equivalents in
other languages are still
occasionally used.

Sinhala people's names,language,looks,food etc are like Indians only and them saying we are different is just like Bangladeshis and Pak Punjabis saying we are different.

Sinhala people's names,language,looks,food etc are like Indians only and them saying we are different is just like Bangladeshis and Pak Punjabis saying we are different.

Pak Panjab is very diverse itself.... it would be foolish to think all of them are related to indian panjabis... and sinhala... i dont think you have that ethnicity in india? i could be wrong though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom