What's new

Sukhoi PAK-FA / FGFA: Updates,News & Discussions

As late as 2013, there have been announcements, that, there would not be any difference in avionics, platformRussia, India Describe Next-Gen Fighter Plans | Aviation International News and hardware.
That's not at all true and that's not even what your link says:

The Indian version would use same airframe, engines and main systems, and differ in mission hardware and software, as well as weapons nomenclature.

Russia, India Describe Next-Gen Fighter Plans | Aviation International News

Why is the IAF insisting on the FGFA if it will be identical to the PAK-FA/T-50? It would make no sense- this article contradicts itself. The FGFA is simply a "MKIsed" version of the PAK-FA/T-50 that will have different avionics,weapons and hardware on board mate.

110281.jpg

109922.jpg

Sukhoi PAK-FA spin recovery footage

Check out this video of the Russian Sukhoi PAK-FA fifth-generation stealth fighter. There is some good footage of the jet undergoing flight tests--my comprehension of the Russian language is virtually non-existent, but I think the reporter is giving an overview of the jet's capabilities.

_SPL8704-thumb-560x373-178151.jpg

If I understood correctly--the PAK-FA has a lot of the same features that you'd find on the F-22 or F-35 like embedded antennas and sensor fusion. But the Russian aircraft seems to have automation to the point where it can land itself if the pilot is incapacitated, but that could be my misunderstanding.

If anyone speaks/understands Russian, I'm sure you'll get much more out of this than me--but cool footage nonetheless. Incidentally, some of the footage looks like spin testing, but unlike similar US testing you might see at Edwards AFB or Pax River, the Russians don't seem to use a spin-chute.

Sukhoi PAK-FA spin recovery footage - The DEW Line

Last edited by a moderator:
The jet fighter’s cover is suggestive of a living organism; it reacts to whatever happens around due to special transmitting-receiving elements that are virtually sewn into the jet-fighter’s body. This is also known as a smart cover.

Brilliant. Is this the first jet to have such a technology?

I heard someone saying something about a "smart skin" concept for Super-MKI. Is it related to that?

Brilliant. Is this the first jet to have such a technology?

I heard someone saying something about a "smart skin" concept for Super-MKI. Is it related to that?

I think the smart skin is a sort of coating to reduce the RCS for the upgrade, this looks a bit diffrent but im not sure if the SU-35 also has something similar to this. Need to find out from Sancho and others on this matter.

T-50-5 will fly very soon, before MAKS 2013 which is in August, confirmed by inside sources.

If you can understand Russian, you would learn that PAK FA has exceeded its developers expectations in the fields of supermaneurability and supercruise speed.
Commenting journalist has stated that PAK FA is much lighter than F-22 and its maximal speed is 500 km/h greater than F-22.
It is unknown, what speed has he talked about, afterburned max or supercruise speed. It is possible that this is his own fake addition, but bearing in mind the official status of those video it is unlikely.

Data is short, almost none actually. However progrm-outside experts have calculated that if the PAK FA empty weight is 3 tons less than F-22, then T-50 can reach 2100 km/h supercruise speed using the current 117 engines. This is indirectly confirmed by Mikhail Pogosian. He has stated that Sukhoi company is completely satisfied with 117 engine performance and the engine completely complies all the 5-gen fighter engine requirements on thrust, specific thrust, resource and speed/altitude params.

Also guys from KNAAZ say that T-50-6 and T-50-7 prototypes are in the middle-construction phase now. T-50-7 will not be flyable.
Experts oppinions on T-50-7 purpose has separated to 2 points:
1 - T-50-7 is an RCS measurment and optimizations body.
2 - T-50-7 is another one prototype frame for resource testing while the previous prototype testing gave a lot of data to improve airframe strength and optimize weight. It is also rumored that CM part in the future prototypes and LRIP planes bodies will be significally increased, so they will be tested on T-50-7.

There are the other facts about static version:
1 - T-50-4 has enforcement plates on several parts and those plates must be removed and replaced by internal body strength improvements.
2 - As T-50 has exceeded initial speed parameters, then they must be utilized by more robust body allowing to withstand long 2650 km/h (2.35M) flights.

:smokin::smokin:

Commenting journalist has stated that PAK FA is much lighter than F-22 and its maximal speed is 500 km/h greater than F-22.

I suppose this is what was one of the basic philosophy behind T-50 when pitted against F-22, To beat it with its far better maneurability, with matching if not better stealth profile.
I know its too early to comment and there isn't much of data to compare, but it looks that FGFA/T-50, once matured, will beat F 35 hands down .

I suppose this is what was one of the basic philosophy behind T-50 when pitted against F-22, To beat it with its far better maneurability, with matching if not better stealth profile.
I know its too early to comment and there isn't much of data to compare, but it looks that FGFA/T-50, once matured, will beat F 35 hands down .

Well PAKFA will be a formidable plane but beating F-35 is not very easy. It's EW systems
are very powerful and so is it's radar and situational awareness system with the EO-DAS.

Infact F-35 has far better situational awareness than F-22.

But however PAK-FA will easily win over the Chinese FGFAs, the Chinese systems are not very
mature and not very capable. Sensor-fusion and powerplant/performance development on the
Chinese FGFAs has still a long way to go.

Well PAKFA will be a formidable plane but beating F-35 is not very easy. It's EW systems
are very powerful and so is it's radar and situational awareness system with the EO-DAS.

Infact F-35 has far better situational awareness than F-22.

But however PAK-FA will easily win over the Chinese FGFAs, the Chinese systems are not very
mature and not very capable. Sensor-fusion and powerplant/performance development on the
Chinese FGFAs has still a long way to go.

Pretty much correct, but what i implied was under Visual warfare FGFA will outperform F-35 primarily due to its better kinematic performance. That said it is unlikely there is a chance of a WVR fight and most battles would be BVR where US electronics is expected to come out triumphant.

Given the troubles development history and its astronomic costs, it would be intersting to see how many nations have appetite left for F-35. One reason why Russia and India would want T-50 to mature soon, is the early movers advantage in untapped 5th gen fighter market.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom