What's new

Sultan Tipu, The Tiger of Mysore

GOD OF WAR

Reaction score
I saw 5 different links on Sultan Tipu (May Allah elevate his status in heaven) but wanted to start a different thread as few questions lingering my mind are of a different historical nature, but if the mods think that my thread should be merged, then please do so. I'll start with three questions, and if I see them answered, then I will certainly ask more. Accept my gratitude in advance.

My questions are as:

Q1: One of the British regiments that stormed Srirangapattana, was the famed PUNJAB REGIMENT. In 1947, there were basically 2 main Punjab regiments, 1 cedded with the Pakistan Army and the other with the Indian Army. No doubt the Punjab regiment of the Pakistan army has the most honours attributed to it in various battle fronts; Nishan e Haiders aswell and the fact that FM Ayub Khan was from the said regiment.

However, there is something rather disturbing about the Punjab Regiment in connection to the Martyrdom of Tipu Sultan, IT IS SAID THAT THE GREEN PLUM THAT THE REGIMENT FLAUNTS IN THEIR BERETS WAS AWARDED TO THEM AS AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT ON GREAT SERVICES ON ACCOUNT OF THE FACT THAT THEY WERE PIVITOL IN THE MARTYRDOM OF TIPU SULTAN. I have no means of substantiating this and thought may be one of the members here could hopefully rebut this history attached to the plum?

However if this is true, then WHY is the Punjab Regiment still adorning it? Should it not reject it?

Q2: The French having been in war with the British in the same epoch, were also helping the US Independence movement against the British, as well as some states in the Sub Continent. We all know that Haider Ali had diplomatic and military ties with the French. Two questions in this regard. DID TIPU SULTAN OR HAIDER ALI EVER TRAVEL TO FRANCE THEMSELVES? I am aware that diplomates from Mysore traveled to France but did the Tigers ever travel themselves?

Q3: In connection to my 2nd question, it is said that the Americans were aware of Haider Ali's military successes and were in great awe of him. IS IT TRUE THAT THEY NAMED ONE OF THEIR NAVAL VESSELS 'USS HAIDER ALI'?
:pakistan:

To live 1 day as a Tiger is better than to exist 100 years as a Jackal!

Long Live The Tigers of Mysore!

^^^
The Green Plume worn by the Regiment is part of the regiments history. And the history is associated with facts. The regiment is part of the nation but is not required to fabricate its history according to nationalism. Another unit; the 17 Horse (cavalry) has its first Battle Honour "Battle of Koregaon", also from British times. That battle honour has not been erased. History is not something to be erased and re-written again and again, at the whims and fancies of any one.

And there are still Tigers in Mysore, i've seen them.

I saw 5 different links on Sultan Tipu (May Allah elevate his status in heaven) but wanted to start a different thread as few questions lingering my mind are of a different historical nature, but if the mods think that my thread should be merged, then please do so. I'll start with three questions, and if I see them answered, then I will certainly ask more. Accept my gratitude in advance.

My questions are as:

Q1: One of the British regiments that stormed Srirangapattana, was the famed PUNJAB REGIMENT. In 1947, there were basically 2 main Punjab regiments, 1 cedded with the Pakistan Army and the other with the Indian Army. No doubt the Punjab regiment of the Pakistan army has the most honours attributed to it in various battle fronts; Nishan e Haiders aswell and the fact that FM Ayub Khan was from the said regiment.

However, there is something rather disturbing about the Punjab Regiment in connection to the Martyrdom of Tipu Sultan, IT IS SAID THAT THE GREEN PLUM THAT THE REGIMENT FLAUNTS IN THEIR BERETS WAS AWARDED TO THEM AS AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT ON GREAT SERVICES ON ACCOUNT OF THE FACT THAT THEY WERE PIVITOL IN THE MARTYRDOM OF TIPU SULTAN. I have no means of substantiating this and thought may be one of the members here could hopefully rebut this history attached to the plum?

However if this is true, then WHY is the Punjab Regiment still adorning it? Should it not reject it?

It was surprising to read of an infantry regiment wearing plums in its headgear; what next, apricots? cherries? 'Though there was a crack British cavalry regiment called the Cherry-pickers.

Could you possibly mean 'plume'?

Q2: The French having been in war with the British in the same epoch, were also helping the US Independence movement against the British, as well as some states in the Sub Continent. We all know that Haider Ali had diplomatic and military ties with the French. Two questions in this regard. DID TIPU SULTAN OR HAIDER ALI EVER TRAVEL TO FRANCE THEMSELVES? I am aware that diplomates from Mysore traveled to France but did the Tigers ever travel themselves?

No, neither father or son travelled, not even outside Mysore.

Q3: In connection to my 2nd question, it is said that the Americans were aware of Haider Ali's military successes and were in great awe of him. IS IT TRUE THAT THEY NAMED ONE OF THEIR NAVAL VESSELS 'USS HAIDER ALI'?

That would take time to look up, to exclude every possibility. Where did you learn this? If you share your sources, it might help check and verify this.

AFAIK, nothing like this ever happened.

To live 1 day as a Tiger is better than to exist 100 years as a Jackal!

Long Live The Tigers of Mysore!

There was only one two-legged one - Tipu. There're many more four-legged ones in the forest.

Both Haider Ali and Sultan Tipu were two-legged tigers. The former died in the midst of a war against British, and the latter died in a battle against the British. But, I do not have an answer to the questions God of War has asked.

A Regiment is supposed to wear the symbols it was bestowed due to high-level professionalism and heroism in a war. It should not be regarded as a symbol of shame. However, it is obvious that the British used our own people to fight and defeat our local powers.

So, a sense of Hindustani nationalism was absent those days. Compare this to the events of France after the defeats of Napoleon. French people were not submissive like our forefathers. If the Green Plum is a shame, then it is a collective shame to all of us, and not a shame to the Punjab Regiment.

Painting of Tippu's missile attack at NASA

149.jpg

May Allah bless Sultan Tipu...

1. If this is the case Pakistan's military should investigate it and remove this symbol of treason from the uniform... Like so many things in Pakistan, we have a tendency to blindly follow whatever is the norm at any time... This is changing and the military should setup a committee to investigate the history of this plume and remove it if it finds the suspected link to be true...

2. As far as I m aware Tipu never visited France

3. It is true... References to the ship USS Haider Ali can be found on the internet...

3. It is true... References to the ship USS Haider Ali can be found on the internet...

Yes indeed there is.
Refer to: USS Hyder Ali NCC-521 Gagarin

Referred to in:
The following list of starships comprises those ships which are members of a class represented at the Starfleet Museum. For a complete list of starships that served in Starfleet between 2161 and 2300, visitors are advised to refer to the Starfleet Naval Vessel Register, or the Daystrom Institute's Encyclopedia of the Federation Starfleet,Volume 6.

Source:
The Starfleet Museum - Starfleet Ships

The Gagarin-class was a class V science vessel starship in service to the Federation Starfleet in the late 23rd century. The Gagarin-class was a variant design of the venerable Oberth-class science vessels.

The Gagarins were designed and built to perform intensive surveys of planets, but their poor weaponry meant that they only operated deep inside Federation-protected territory.

Advances in warp drive shielding at the time meant that the low-yield warp nacelles of the Gagarins didn't need to be mounted at a considerable distance from the main hull. Although the engines were detachable in case of an emergency overload.

The first vessel of this class, the USS Gagarin, entered service around stardate 2/1912 and nine further vessels were constructed. Construction of further Gagarins was halted when Starfleet Command discovered that few survey missions could be considered "low-risk", especially after the destruction of the USS Grissom in orbit of the Genesis Planet.

GrissomOberth.jpg

Truly an honor...
and it is the United federation of Planets that gave that honor..
the US alone has nothing on it..Thank you Gene Roddenberry.

Yes indeed there is.
Refer to: USS Hyder Ali NCC-521 Gagarin

Referred to in:
The following list of starships comprises those ships which are members of a class represented at the Starfleet Museum. For a complete list of starships that served in Starfleet between 2161 and 2300, visitors are advised to refer to the Starfleet Naval Vessel Register, or the Daystrom Institute's Encyclopedia of the Federation Starfleet,Volume 6.

Source:
The Starfleet Museum - Starfleet Ships

Cool... someone is awake on the forum :)

thank you all for the input. Howeer Im left with some confusion in connection to USS HYDER ALI.

The reference provided seems to be of some imaginary sci-fi space craft and not of a US Navy Ship. I dont have an etensive knowledge of Naval Ship nomanclatute. forgive my ignorance and cmment on the confusion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom