What's new

SY-400 guided rocket system

9c493dd9e4986ab024ff4326ee4a26e4.jpg

isnt a guided rocket in essence a missile?
You should think of a rocket in strict technical terms. A 'rocket' is a projectile that contains its own propellant.

atleast that was the difference i knew between a rocket and missile
A thrown rock, knife, spear and an arrow are 'missiles'. A 'missile' is essentially a projectile with an intended target and that the weapon is not under the direct control of whoever launched it. A 'missile' can be a 'rocket' but if a 'rocket' has a purpose, which is to land on a target somewhere, then it become a 'missile'.

a rocket was not guided during flight while the missile was.
The general direction of the enemy is not a target. Launching a volley of 'rockets' in yonder direction and hope that some enemy troops will be killed is called 'spray and pray'. You are basically calling the Earth itself the target. So essentially...You are correct.

so a guided rocket is something like a ballistic missile which does not leave the atmosphere?
No...The moment you installed guidance and control mechanisms on a 'rocket' it become a 'missile'. A ballistic trajectory, or not, remain endoatmospheric, or not, are irrelevant. The problem here is that the terms 'rocket' and 'missile' are used interchangeably.

isnt a guided rocket in essence a missile?

atleast that was the difference i knew between a rocket and missile

a rocket was not guided during flight while the missile was.

so a guided rocket is something like a ballistic missile which does not leave the atmosphere?

plz enlighten me on this
Yes, it is actually a short range ballistic missile. But since China has signed treaties limiting us on the export of ballistic missiles, we have to play a game on words...:china::pakistan:

Can reverse engineered weapons not win wars? Would the stolen technological equipment be neutralized itself at the time of war? Whats the point in "accusing" when in any case China is gaining strength and edge over India? Will that make Indian Soldiers happy while dieing that the bullets that are killing them are actually copied from Russia? :D Komon buddy, lets talk sense here. It is WAR Hardware and the more of it you have, the better off you would be. It is totally irrelevant that who got something how, the only thing that will matter is, who is keeping what.

Gooooood Job China. When are we getting these designed rockets?

I would think Pakistan army would ask for this beast in the near future, if there is a need.:pakistan::china:

Is it me or does the SY-400 rocket look very alike the HQ-16 Anti-air missile on 054A?The sizes are also almost the same:azn:

I think SY-400 is also designed for the PLAN so the 32cell VLS on board the 054A and 054B can have a cheaper version of DH-10 as their land attack weapon. But then the 32-cell VLS will be too little. Let's suppose they put 16 SY-400 inside, then 6 YU-6 anti-sub missiles, then only 10 HQ-16 can be put on board!

Last edited:
Is it me or does the SY-400 rocket look very alike the HQ-16 Anti-air missile on 054A?The sizes are also almost the same:azn:

ea252014d259589ffcb45954c998190f.gif

I think SY-400 is also designed for the PLAN so the 32cell VLS on board the 054A and 054B can have a cheaper version of DH-10 as their land attack weapon. But then the 32-cell VLS will be too little. Let's suppose they put 16 SY-400 inside, then 6 YU-6 anti-sub missiles, then only 10 HQ-16 can be put on board!

That is an interesting thought. This could be an cheap alternative land attack weapon replacing tomahawk type cruise missiles. With it's 400+ km range, it can be launched at Taiwan from across the strait.

Also what is the implication of using this for offensive roles against other ships with suitable guidance system? I imagine that cluster bombs might be effective for disabling the flight deck of a carrier, for example, without actually needing to sink it. Also Individual bomblets might be hard for close in systems to counter.

What is the implication of using this as a high-low mix of sea area denying system in conjunction with the modified DF-21 missile?

regards

That is an interesting thought. This could be an cheap alternative land attack weapon replacing tomahawk type cruise missiles. With it's 400+ km range, it can be launched at Taiwan from across the strait.

Also what is the implication of using this for offensive roles against other ships with suitable guidance system? I imagine that cluster bombs might be effective for disabling the flight deck of a carrier, for example, without actually needing to sink it. Also Individual bomblets might be hard for close in systems to counter.

What is the implication of using this as a high-low mix of sea area denying system in conjunction with the modified DF-21 missile?

regards

Depends on which carrier this missile hit. If it hits an Indian carrier, India is out of a few billion dollars. If it hits an US carrier, other carriers would launch an air strike on the missiles site. Us had promised to nuke China if China sink an US carrier. But this scenario is not likely to happen as US and China is not going to war anytime soon.

regards

well, I would think that a 400km range rocket/missile would need some kind of terminal guidence or data link in order to get enough accuracy to hit an AC. If PLA can install the terminal guidence system found on DF-21 onto SY-400, then yes, SY_400 is capable of striking a ship.:cheers:

i guess an assembly mounted on naval ships can also prov to be lethal for enemy war ships.
i dont have exact information about how accurate it is but as it is termed as guided rocket, i guess it will be good enough!

regards!

This system can be second in line to Nasr as a non nuclear tactical attack missile system. I till provide added fire power with high precision and a psychological blow to any invasion force on our borders.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom