What's new

T-129 Atak & Turkish Attack Helicopter Programs

The tests of the first six of Turkish attack helicopters, the ATAKs, are about to be completed and they will be delivered by this summer, Defense Industry Deputy Undersecretary Faruk Özlü said yesterday.

The ATAK, Turkey’s first attack helicopter, is one of Turkey’s three giant national helicopter projects. One of the other projects is the Turkish Utility Helicopter Program, on which Turkish arms manufacturer Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) has been holding talks with the American aircraft producer Sikorsky for the manufacture of around 109 helicopters.

The other program is the Indigenous Helicopter Program, which vows to produce locally designed, 5-ton helicopters for the use of police department and civilian forces.

ECONOMICS - Turkey sets high arms export hopes

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 1st and 2'nd picture of Ozi2000's post. The helicopter has missile launchers.

What kind of missile launcher is that? Does Turkey have similar missiles like that in development? OMTAS maybe? I haven't seen pods like that on the T-129, will it also have similar pods/missiles?

In the 1st and 2'nd picture of Ozi2000's post. The helicopter has missile launchers.

What kind of missile launcher is that? Does Turkey have similar missiles like that in development? OMTAS maybe? I haven't seen pods like that on the T-129, will it also have similar pods/missiles?

Italians nowadays upgrading some of their A-129 fleet and decided use Israeli Spike as an anti-tank missile so that launcher probably belongs to Israel.

Pretty sure it's BGM-71 TOW-launchers. Although this missile is in the Turkish Army's inventory, it's - IMO - obsolete and simply inferior against modern ATGMs due to its maximum range of not even 4 km and its relatively lighter/weaker warhead. The only valuable of this missile is that it's wire-guided (I'm not kidding you), thus not alarming modern tanks' Laser Warning Systems as you don't need to 'paint' the target with a laser designator.

Italians nowadays upgrading some of their A-129 fleet and decided use Israeli Spike as an anti-tank missile so that launcher probably belongs to Israel.

Nope, you can find a picture on the airborne Spike-launcher on the first page of this document:
rafael.co.il/marketing/SIP_STORAGE/FILES/3/463.pdf

@Baykuş wire-guidance isn't a plus especially on a helicopter, the reason is low velocity and fire-and-update crap that makes the platform vulnerable. IR guidance is still the best choice. Those 1500-hp engines emit a fvkckload of heat :)

@Baykuş wire-guidance isn't a plus especially on a helicopter, the reason is low velocity and fire-and-update crap that makes the platform vulnerable. IR guidance is still the best choice. Those 1500-hp engines emit a fvkckload of heat :)

Of course, I mean you would have something to explain if you crashed a helicopter because you had tangled your rotors into the missile's wire :P
Jokes aside, the wire is very thin and would just split, making the missile uncontrollable for the rest of its flight.

I agree that IR-homing missiles are the best choice as the guidance method doesn't need any input from a designator, which is the case with laser-guidance. But I was comparing the TOW with laser-guided missiles in general, where the latter can trigger laser sensors that most modern (Leo 2NG for instance) tanks are equipped with nowadays.

@Baykuş agreed with your point my friend, in that case most tanks' best defence is to pop somke grenades and hide their position visually. Smoke has little effect on IR sensors but I agree with you because it eliminates lasers.

Nowadays datalink can very well replace wire guidance. You could argue that wire eliminates soft-kill systems and other electronic countermeasures but i think it's better to have a high velocity missile and stay in hover a little shorter.

so IR guidance + Datalink target update capability is the best way to go... for example JAGM and UMTAS-ER. But laser guided cirit style projectiles can't match with TOW so having that is better than having no AT capability at all.

South Korea chose the Apache helicopters over the AH-1Z Viper built by Bell Helicopter and the T-129 of Turkish Aerospace Industries.

South Korea said on Wednesday it will spend $1.6 billion to buy attack helicopters from Boeing Co. to better cope with North Korean military threats.

A fleet of 36 AH-64E Apache Guardian choppers will be deployed in South Korea from 2016 to 2018, said a senior official at the Defense Acquisition Program Administration in Seoul.

The aircraft will be largely tasked with destroying North Korean tanks or armored vehicles in the event of conflict, the DAPA said in a statement. South Korea has had a fleet of Bell AH-1 Cobra helicopters for decades.

The decision, although taken before the latest escalation of tensions with North Korea, reflects a move by Seoul to beef up its aerial firepower. South Korea is expected to make a decision later this year to purchase another 60 fighter jets to better handle North Korea military threats.

South Korea to Buy Fleet of Apache Attack Helicopters - WSJ.com

Not a suprise. :rolleyes:

Ben yeni birsey oldugunu mu dedim ? Hatte senin Post edigini coktan önce görmüstüm ,sen Post etmeden ,ama benim cevabim tam TAI´den.

Aradaki FARK büyük !

Tamam kızma hemen de, ben adamın videosunu bile koymuşum yani ağzından dinliyosun direk.

Back
Top Bottom