What's new

The Kargil Conflict Revisited

Musharraf's biggest mistake was not nuking India.

And Aziz is promoting his book, probably on Indian money.

what is the limit of gross misconduct after which pakistani army should be made accountable to its people and nation,according to you???kargil was strategically a blunder is known and acknowledged by every one but it gets praised for being tactically a good operation though generals didnt factor in indian air force,indian use of heavy guns,possible number of troops which could be employed by indian army to fight back........and to top it all there was no inquiry held for this debacle........and now some one has acknowledge this and he gets labeled as funded by india........well i am not complaining,good for us.

Guys! I was talking about more skeletons falling out of the cupboard. And now here's another highly professional and upright Pakistani soldier who has the guts to call a spade a spade, unlike Mush who has been lying through his teeth.

He is none other than Brigadier Javed Hussain a former commando of the SSG. Hear him out here....

However, the Pakistani Admiral in the video is all over the place! His rants are like a lowly naval rating's! A stark contrast to the maturity displayed by Brig Javed Hussain. But I guess it takes all kinds to make this world!! :cheesy:

So, after all, the pathetic Indians were not lying after all...

Honest Salute to Brig Hussain, to Gen Aziz and others for showing the backbone to call a spade a spade... Soldiers like them help one believe that Respect and Integrity still exists in the great institution of Army... What we see here is History books being re-written!

So much for the war by mujahids, the emotional support rant and all the propaganda...!

I wonder why Musharraf was not tried in the Army court for being a traitor! I really hope that such expose now brings that General to the court of law!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the ground work being done before the commando slithers down into the Pakistani territory :whistle:

his arrest warrant hadbeen issued....
here people are not welcoming it...
I am talking about pakistani soil not PDF....:toast_sign:

I wonder if Chak Bamu had a chance to reflect on his post after reading the following post.

Nothing but an extension of tit-for-tat that some people mistakenly believe to be a substitute for serious discussion.

While one particular poster from Pakistan (if at all) goes nuts using 'zionist' this and that, we have Indian posters shamelessly calling Kargil & Kashmir 'Indian' territory.

What do you expect?

Musharraf's biggest mistake was not nuking India.

And Aziz is promoting his book, probably on Indian money.

Buddy you have gone mad. Look at all the froth on the floor. Pakistan does not need advocates like you. Seriously!

Indians will be Indians and do their best to kick a dead horse to feel better. But should that make us stoop to a lower level?

Buddy most Indians are interested in tit-for-tat exchanges here, just so they feel better. But some posters actually come here for purposeful discussion with knowledgeable people. I do not quite see why you have to say what you wrote. Its not a matter that needs to be discussed. There is no point in it. This **** has been dead for years.

Nothing but an extension of tit-for-tat that some people mistakenly believe to be a substitute for serious discussion.

While one particular poster from Pakistan (if at all) goes nuts using 'zionist' this and that, we have Indian posters shamelessly calling Kargil & Kashmir 'Indian' territory.

What do you expect?

Buddy you have gone mad. Look at all the froth on the floor. Pakistan does not need advocates like you. Seriously!

Indians will be Indians and do their best to kick a dead horse to feel better. But should that make us stoop to a lower level?

I am glad that you got the point: it is not an exclusively Indian 'virtue' to resort to tit-for-tat exchanges, nor is it an exclusive Pakistani trademark trait to be here for purposeful discussions with knowledgeable people. Perhaps you might consider reserving judgement until you have gone on beyond your present engagement of 127 posts over a mind-boggling one month of participation.

Why shamelessly calling Kargil and Kashmir Indian territory? Many Indians, I included, believe that we have excellent and logical reasons for considering Kargil and Kashmir Indian territory. Why should a contradiction of what might be your own stand on the subject amount to shamelessness? Isn't that pure emotion, devoid of any discussion-worthy content?

My dear friend do not compare Kalam & Modi, you may have your objections to Modi , but to Kalam ...:blah:

I am glad that you got the point: it is not an exclusively Indian 'virtue' to resort to tit-for-tat exchanges, nor is it an exclusive Pakistani trademark trait to be here for purposeful discussions with knowledgeable people. Perhaps you might consider reserving judgement until you have gone on beyond your present engagement of 127 posts over a mind-boggling one month of participation.

Why shamelessly calling Kargil and Kashmir Indian territory? Many Indians, I included, believe that we have excellent and logical reasons for considering Kargil and Kashmir Indian territory. Why should a contradiction of what might be your own stand on the subject amount to shamelessness? Isn't that pure emotion, devoid of any discussion-worthy content?

While Indians call Kashmir 'an integral part of India', Pakistanis have sensibly avoided that. Our stand has stressed the importance of Kashmiris' opinion. Surely you can see the logic in that?

I have discussed Kashmir issue a number of times with Indian friends (and foes) and have successfully pointed out the inherent weakness in the official Indian position. It is offensive to any Pakistani to hear (or read) Indians declaring Kashmir to be a part of India. Nobody consulted Kashmiris, and it sounds arrogant to say the least. That is principally why the whole world concedes that Kashmir is a disputed Territory.

Kashmiris from the valley of Kashmir have almost always stressed their identity. That has meant that they oppose assimilation into India or Pakistan as such. By declaring Kashmir to be a part of India, JLN essentially put a time bomb inside the union.

Coming to the issues of trolling - let me stress two facts. First, this is defence.pk and we in / from Pakistan feel it is our 'home' territory. Second, when many (most in fact) Indians troll this site, you can not blame Pakistanis when they answer in kind. Many a good discussion gets derailed because of pointless trolling. Take this thread for example.

Lastly, I have been visiting this site since 2003. My having made an account recently (and having few posts) should have no bearing upon my participation in any of the discussions. Who knows, I might have thousands of posts on other forums? But one thing is for sure, One-liners are not my forte.

I got your message, but unfortunately I can not respond unless I have more than 1000 posts. I appreciate your positive feelings and wish you all the best in return.

While Indians call Kashmir 'an integral part of India', Pakistanis have sensibly avoided that. Our stand has stressed the importance of Kashmiris' opinion. Surely you can see the logic in that?

I have discussed Kashmir issue a number of times with Indian friends (and foes) and have successfully pointed out the inherent weakness in the official Indian position. It is offensive to any Pakistani to hear (or read) Indians declaring Kashmir to be a part of India. Nobody consulted Kashmiris, and it sounds arrogant to say the least. That is principally why the whole world concedes that Kashmir is a disputed Territory.

Kashmiris from the valley of Kashmir have almost always stressed their identity. That has meant that they oppose assimilation into India or Pakistan as such. By declaring Kashmir to be a part of India, JLN essentially put a time bomb inside the union.

Coming to the issues of trolling - let me stress two facts. First, this is defence.pk and we in / from Pakistan feel it is our 'home' territory. Second, when many (most in fact) Indians troll this site, you can not blame Pakistanis when they answer in kind. Many a good discussion gets derailed because of pointless trolling. Take this thread for example.

Lastly, I have been visiting this site since 2003. My having made an account recently (and having few posts) should have no bearing upon my participation in any of the discussions. Who knows, I might have thousands of posts on other forums? But one thing is for sure, One-liners are not my forte.

I got your message, but unfortunately I can not respond unless I have more than 1000 posts. I appreciate your positive feelings and wish you all the best in return.

instead of wasting there time and resources on what kashmiries feel pakistan should first deal with the hunger , lawlessness, corruption , human right voilations all across punjab, sindh , baluchistan , FATA among other and look at its own pethettik state of afairs ....

First Get your Own House In Order Then think Of Others

Ghar Me Nahi Dane Amma Chali Bhunwane

instead of wasting there time and resources on what kashmiries feel pakistan should first deal with the hunger , lawlessness, corruption , human right voilations all across punjab, sindh , baluchistan , FATA among other and look at its own pethettik state of afairs ....

First Get your Own House In Order Then think Of Others

Ghar Me Nahi Dane Amma Chali Bhunwane

What is worse than a troll?

An Arrogant Troll. You are no fun man. At least try to insert some humor in there. Pakistanis could have said the same for India til about ten years ago. a decade or two down the road, roles may yet reverse again. Big deal.

Arrogance does not become you...

What is worse than a troll?

An Arrogant Troll. You are no fun man. At least try to insert some humor in there. Pakistanis could have said the same for India til about ten years ago. a decade or two down the road, roles may yet reverse again. Big deal.

Arrogance does not become you...

well till you reach there ever wondered where would we be instead of just sitting and singing past glories song and making conspiracy theories we indian think with a cool head and do owr work and strive to be better in every field we first try to get owr act right rather than trying to pull others to owr level and invade them unlike people from land of the pure we dont pull owt a gun if things are not workin to owr expectations we try to do it right again what does that means .....lolzzz

Sadly, that is not the general Pakistani stand. Not in terms of the mass of participants in this forum, certainly, and emphatically not in terms of state policy, except for weak moments from halfway through the troubled relationship between our two countries. If it had been such a principled stand, there would have been no need for the original act of coercion that brought arms and fighting to the dispute over interpretation of the India Independence Act. If it had been such a principled stand, there would have been no sanctimonious hypocrisy over commandoes in plain clothes being infiltrated to incite the population to rise in revolt (it is worth pointing out that they did not). Nor would large sums of money have flowed into the valley, into the specific ambit of those who denigrate independence for Kashmir, and will hear only of a full union with Pakistan.

I am willing to accept what you have stated as your personal point of view, and it does you credit. Expanding it to the membership at large is, however, ingenuous.

You are to be congratulated on your successful advocacy, and your Indian friends (and foes) on their patience and forbearance. While many, though not most, Indians will be devastated that you find it offensive that Indians declare Kashmir to be a part of India, that is the cold, brutal legal reality, which cannot be swept away on a tide of emotion and salt water. Your point about Kashmiris being consulted is self-serving. Kashmiris were never to be consulted, any more than the population of any other Indian state was to be consulted. On the midnight of the 14th of August, the Maharaja of Kashmir became a sovereign ruler, with complete authority to decide his fate and the fate of his subjects, as much as the Maharaja, say, of Patiala.

As it happened, the only worthwhile part of Kashmiri political opinion, the National Conference led by Sheikh Abdullah, was already committed to India, and to alignment with the Indian National Congress, and went so far as to resist the invading tribals at the cost of their lives. Whatever the vicissitudes of the relationship between the Sheikh and his Indian interlocutors later, at that point of time, he was uncompromisingly on the side of merger with India, and ironically, it was his sovereign who hesitated, long enough to tempt Pakistan to seek to arrogate by force of arms what she could not achieve by suasion.

The only section of Kashmir that sought union with Pakistan was the Punjabi-settled fringe constituting the Mirpur belt, and the tribal enclaves of Swat and Chitral. It was in fact the state forces of the Mehtar of Chitral that captured Skardu and then Kargil, and laid siege to Leh. We shall leave aside the logistical aid given to these columns, and those to the south, by the Pakistan Army; somehow, that institution has throughout its history convinced itself that if it pretends not to notice by-standers, those by-standers will not notice it. Mildly innovative military theory, but not particularly successful.

Might I point out that this is a half-truth? There was certainly no denial of assimilation (partially, with ample safeguards) into India; there was, however, denial of assimilation with Pakistan, with only an Islamist minority holding out for it.

Really?

You claim, a little later, that you have been visiting this site since 2003. Have you read my posts? Have you read those of countless other Indians, the semi-permanent population from India, if you care to notice them, and the contents? Would you consider that your rights of ownership, based on lurking since 2003, and active participation since a month ago, outweigh those from India who have worked hard for almost every post, and who have sought to understand and to convey their understanding of any subject in the fairest possible terms?

On the specific issue of trolling, while there is no doubt that some Indians (not most) come here to make trouble, usually through trolling, the surprising thing is that those who should preserve the sanctity of discussion on this forum, the Pakistani members, are among the worst offenders. Read the Indian history thread, which I notice you have visited, and on which you have commented very wisely, and you will see what I mean. There was no need for a harmful or malicious interjection; it was made, it lies in public view, and it daubs the forum with stinking dirt.

Your age on this forum should not count, if it is a reasoned point of view that you present. If, on the other hand, you wish to generalize, you will readily agree that an observer has the right to ask for the basis on which you generalise. This, in response to your next.

Sometimes, a line does the job. What counts is relevance, not the number of lines. Just a suggestion that you might like to mull over.

And my best wishes to you.

RAW, IB were in denial on Kargil intelligence failure: ex-Army chief

"The Secretary, NSCS (National Security Council Secretariat), pointing towards the heads of R&AW and Intelligence Bureau, whispered to me, 'General Malik, inki bhi to laaj rakhni hai'. I cannot forget this remark," recalls General V.P. Malik (Retired), the Chief of Army Staff while talking about the 1999 Kargil War.

The then head of R&AW, Arvind Dave and the head of the Intelligence Bureau, S.K. Dutta, were not ready to admit that there had been a major intelligence failure on India's part in detecting the composition of the Pakistani intruders in Kargil, he adds.

The initial reports in the beginning of May 1999, had mentioned that there were approximately 70% militants and 30% Pakistani regulars. However, after doubts were raised by the Army chief at a Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) meeting, the Prime Minister ordered the NSCS to review the reports. The drastically different results of the review mentioned that 70% of the intruders appeared to be Pakistani regulars and about 30% could be ****** militants.

Malik said this while referring to the recent remarks by Pakistan's General (retired) Aziz that Kargil was a product of India's intelligence failure, Gen Malik says that the intelligence reports were faulty all along. He adds that though the initial reports turned out to be incorrect, the reviewed reports could also not be completely trusted.

"The first of the intruders were seen wearing black salwar kameez by our boys, and were mistaken as jihadis." The civil intelligence agencies validated the supposition that the intruders were ****** militants from Pakistan. "However, I was sceptical as militants never defend territories and hold on to it for long. That is when I decided not to bank entirely on Indian intelligence reports and sent forces to get as much enemy identification as possible," recalls Malik.

"This report (the second version) came towards the end of May when we changed our military strategies. If we had better information in the beginning itself, the turn of events might have been different. The Army takes a different approach when it has to drive away some militants, but is much more prepared when it's the army of another country attacking us," says Malik.

He adds that he had always maintained that it was a strategic and tactical intelligence failure in assessing the real situation. He had even questioned the later intelligence reports which mentioned 30% jihadis, pointing out that all the evidence available with the Army indicated that the intrusion was by the Pakistan Army. "Except the radio intercepts, which could be a well-planned deception, we had not obtained a single piece of evidence suggesting the presence of militants amongst the intruders.

When asked about the improvements in Indian intelligence, he says, "I would even today take any intelligence report with a pinch of salt. This is why I would always tell my men to rely on their hunches."

Regarding Aziz's statement about Nawaz Sharif having full knowledge of the Kargil intrusion, Malik says that this is not a revelation at all. He mentions that there is much evidence to believe that Nawaz Sharif was kept in the loop all along. "Some post-war reports indicate that Nawaz Sharif was briefed about the Kargil plan first in December 1998-January 1999 and again in March 1999. There is also evidence to support the claim that Nawaz Sharif was using the Kargil intrusion to set up a fixed timetable for a solution to the Kashmir dispute in exchange for using his influence on the Mujahideens."

RAW, IB were in denial on Kargil intelligence failure: ex-Army chief

Musharraf's plan was courtesy of punishment to Nawas Sharif over his 28th May 1998's decision. There were not any aim to get back Siachen. Everybody knows who ever put its legs against Pakistan's atomic program and even AQ Khan told everything about it. Now the person who is declaring that "Kargil war was successful" sitting safe and sound out side Pakistan because of his decision on phone call "Bomb Pakistan back to “the Stone Age”.

Enough food for thinking!!!!

You are not making any sense because as far as I know NS was more inclined towards not testing the nuclear devices rather then testing them and it was only because of intense military & civilian pressure on him that he succumbed and agreed to the tests.

Perhaps the aim was to remain at Kargil and not get Siachin back, that initial plan could have evolved with the circumstances and Pakistan may have agreed to an Indian offer of demilitarization of Siachin and Kargil and solution of Kashmir issue.

The rest of your post does not make any sense what so ever. It does not make sense on what AQ khan said and whoever was pitting his/her legs against the Pakistani atomic struggle, it does not make sense on who is sitting outside and the phone call as they were all different people!!!

Back
Top Bottom