What's new

Turkey in Olympics - London 2012 - 2 Golds, 2 silvers and 1 bronze

the thing thats so suprising and strange is how bad we are doing in weightlifting and wrestling , were getting all the medals on athletics and taekwando and one wrestling .

I remember when Turkey was quite strong in weightlifting. Not a really good generation now it seems. ^

Iran and Azerbaijan are really wrestling powerhouses.

only this year iran i can see is doing good in wrestling otherwise , we are still a power house . e.g Hamza Yerlikaya the wrestler of the century.

I remember when Turkey was quite strong in weightlifting. Not a really good generation now it seems. ^

We are still good but we was very bad and unlucky , e.g our weightlifters said that they were very excited and they did worse than their training performance.

Naim suleymanoglu and Halil Mutlu are two great not so long ago.

Naim was even in the TIMES front cover.
naim-suleymanoglu_30111.jpg

actually after reading abit more some say hes the greatest ever ( foreigners on youtube even say it and others)

three consecutive olympic gold

NAIM SULEYMANOGLU

He won three Olympic Championships, seven World Championships and six European Championships and earned 46 world records.

Halil MUTLU

Mutlu is one of the four weightlifters achieving three consecutive gold medals at the Olympic Games. His weightlifting career includes five World championships, nine European championships and more than 20 world records at 52 kg (115 lb), 54 kg (119 lb) and 56 kg (123 lb) combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamza yerlikaya

Hamza Yerlikaya (born June 6, 1976, in Kadıköy, Istanbul) is a Turkish Graeco-Roman style wrestler. He is a two-time (in 1996 and 2000) Olympic champion, three-time World Champion (1993, 1995, and 2005), and the only Turkish wrestler to ever become European champion eight times. He was named The Wrestler of the century in 1996 by the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA). Looking at comments and other things hes the 2nd best ever in greco-roman history after Aleksander Karelin.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOCAL - Turkey

I think the article above explains it quite well. However when I look at what the current government is doing such as cancelling the sports events for school children so they can go to school instead. I don't see Turkey excelling or churning out more outstanding athletes in the nearest future.

WHAT IS GOING ON SERIOUSLY , I JUST CHECKED RAMAZAN SAHIN LOST , ITS UNBELIAVABLE , LAST OLYMPIC CHAMPIONS

iran in Olympics - London 2012 - 4 Golds, 5 silvers and 3 bronze
Ranked Eleventh in world medal count at 2012/8/10

That was a total disappointment, we have a far greater potential then , but let the needed encouragement and facilities aside, looks like they're not even properly prepared the athletes we already have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom