What's new

Turkey’s S-400 vs F-35 dilemma in 2019

F-35 vs S-400; If Turkey had to choose one, which one should it choose?

• F-35

• S-400

Results are only viewable after voting.
Definitely F 35 is a beast, it is a 5th generation advanced fighter plane but it is not a flagship fighter like f -16, f -15, f-22 etc. It's critics pointed some disadvantges of it.
1. It is over priced.
2. It's maintenance cost is too high.
3. Design of F-35 is problematic and its ten million code has a lot of buggs which is a nightmare.
4. Its weapons bay is inadequate.
5. It is single engine, so it is vulnerable to ground fire.
6. Since its rely on internal fuel system, its range is limited.
7. In air to air combat it's sustainability is low compared to its predecessors f16, f15, f22 etc.
Germany and France have preferred 4.5 generation and they will directly move into 6th generation fighters in coming days.
I have no doubts that the F-35 has some problems. So does the F-22, F-16, Eurofighter Typhoon etc.

The UK,Italy,Belgium,The Netherlands,Canada,Australia,S.Korea,Japan dont have any problem with Israel and The US

F-35 is a good war machine for American-Israeli friends

but Turkiye is fighting with the US/Israel and their puppets Greece,Egypt,The Uae,S.Arabia in Iraq,Syria,Libya and in the Eastern Mediterranean
You dont have to be at war with someone to want independence. No one will knowingly leave the key to their national security in someone else’s hands.

You dont have to be at war with someone to want independence. No one will knowingly leave the key to their national security in someone else’s hands.
If your national security is that of the United States, then there are no problems... but since we are working against the interests of Israel and the United States, we would have the problems...

If your national security is that of the United States, then there are no problems... but since we are working against the interests of Israel and the United States, we would have the problems...

If you are truly working against the interests of Israel and the United States, you are going to "have the problems" anyway*.

*Hint: You really aren't. Turkey has been a valuable ally to both for many decades.

----

I think that what TMB is trying to say is that Erdogan decided to bluff on this one, he didn't really choose the S-400 system over the F-35 program (in which Turkey was already a serious partner). There was no dilemma of sorts, only a overestimation of importance or - to put it more succinctly - a mischaracterization of intent.

A reminder to all, Turkey has had Western pressure "applied" with regards to its Air Defence procurement programs as early as the T-LORAMIDS program.

Last edited:
If you are truly working against the interests of Israel and the United States, you are going to "have the problems" anyway*.

*Hint: You really aren't. Turkey has been a valuable ally to both for many decades.

----

I think that what TMB is trying to say is that Erdogan decided to bluff on this one, he didn't really choose the S-400 system over the F-35 program (in which Turkey was already a serious partner). There was no dilemma of sorts, only a overestimation of importance or - to put it more succinctly - a mischaracterization of intent.

A reminder to all, Turkey has had Western pressure "applied" with regards to its Air Defence procurement programs as early as the T-LORAMIDS program.
there is no other way to explain the political tensions... how is it possible that greece could easily get S300?

there is no other way to explain the political tensions... how is it possible that greece could easily get S300?

Greece never "easily got" the S-300. Cyprus did. Having said that, the US was readily opposed to the missiles coming to Cyprus, as expected. They couldn't really do much though, since there was already an embargo in place towards Cyprus (it was lifted in late 2019).

More here if you are interested, the S-300 crisis was a pretty sobering affair for both countries back then. But in no way relevant to the S-400 Erdogan gamble.

Greece never "easily got" the S-300. Cyprus did. Having said that, the US was readily opposed to the missiles coming to Cyprus, as expected. They couldn't really do much though, since there was already an embargo in place towards Cyprus (it was lifted in late 2019).

More here if you are interested, the S-300 crisis was a pretty sobering affair for both countries back then. But in no way relevant to the S-400 Erdogan gamble.
Why not? It was the S400 of that time - GR is also a NATO member and uses US systems - as if it made a difference whether it was Greece or SOUTH Cyprus? In the end, Greece operates the systems and nevertheless ordered F16 and now F35.

There was never a crisis and here - my Hellenic friend - was not even measured to the same extent...

Why not? It was the S400 of that time - GR is also a NATO member and uses US systems - as if it made a difference whether it was Greece or SOUTH Cyprus? In the end, Greece operates the systems and nevertheless ordered F16 and now F35.

There was never a crisis and here - my Hellenic friend - was not even measured to the same extent...

I'd kindly suggest you read the wiki link, it is a great starter regarding the S-300 crisis. It is a very interesting subject, especially if you review the way it competely broke the Cypriot government, which collapsed in short order.

I'd kindly suggest you read the wiki link, it is a great starter regarding the S-300 crisis. It is a very interesting subject, especially if you review the way it competely broke the Cypriot government, which collapsed in short order.
In the end, Greece operates the systems and nevertheless ordered F16 and now F35.

That is a fact... how is it possible, that Greece ops. S300 and Patriots?
and I know enough about the crisis ... I also know that Greece and south Cyprus were protected at the same time - especially by the USA ... funny isn't it? A bit paradox...

Congress banned F-35 sale to Turkey on the basis of Erdogan not having good relation with Israel. S-400 was only their ruse.

Out of all the bullshit stuff you say its good to see you posting something that is right and accurate.

The poll result is shocking me. The s400 are literally collecting dust! Erdogan screwed over the next 50 years of Turkish airforce! On purpose, 20 yildir TSK ya darbe yapiyor siz daha ayakta uyuyorsunuz!

The poll result is shocking me. The s400 are literally collecting dust! Erdogan screwed over the next 50 years of Turkish airforce! On purpose, 20 yildir TSK ya darbe yapiyor siz daha ayakta uyuyorsunuz!
Başkan... F35'ten hayır gelmezdi - @Oublious 'un dediği gibi - en azından generallere güvenin

F35 sending sensitive data back to texas is an issue for Norway. Considerin Norway shouldn’t have any worry about US. They do not accept such crap.

Now us, we’re noway near being on good terma with the US. So we’d have bigger issues.

Back
Top Bottom