What's new

Turkey's Sat-Launcher Plans Raise Concerns

@Luffy 500 mate, Germany doesn't have nukes nor SLV. Like Turkey too, they hosted US nukes. Half of them under Luftwaffe's command. The same goes for our Incirlik Air Base.

I guess I used the word de facto incorrectly here. My mistake. What I meant is that Japan/germany are widely recognized as countries capable of making nuclear weapons with in a very short period of time thanks to their very advance civilian nuclear industry. U can also throw in Sweden in that group as well. For Japan its much more easier due to their agreements with US and also they have ICBM capability. They have a very advance space programme and as per US analyst, they may have very well have tested MIRV capabilities back in the mid 90s. Delivery system would also be a walk in the park for Japan.

Has turkey developed a advance civilian nuclear infrastructure? Will it be able to master the nuclear fuel cycle without facing any obstacles from the west even though its well within its NPT rights. Will it be allowed to reprocess plutonium (can also be used for MOX nuclear fuel) like Japan? They are already whining about your SLV programme. As for the nuclear sharing, well the firing codes are in the hands of US with US forces guarding the war heads. It is only for use against US enemies not necessarily turkish enemies. Back in the cold war U could have only used it against USSR/eastern block in the event of a 3rd world war not necessarily a hypothetical war with Israel. That's the point. Turkey is not special like western allies of US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I used the word de facto incorrectly here. My mistake. What I meant is that Japan/germany are widely recognized as countries capable of making nuclear weapons with in a very short period of time thanks to their very advance civilian nuclear industry. U can alos throw in Sweden in that group as well. For Japan its much more easier due to their agreements with US and also they have ICBM capability. They have a very advance space programme and as per US analyst may have very well tested MIRV capabilities back in the mid 90s. Delivery system would also be a walk in the park for Japan.

Has turkey developed a advance civilian nuclear infrastructure? Will it be able to master the nuclear fuel cycle without facing any obstacles from the west even though its well within its NPT rights. Will it be allowed to reprocess plutonium (can also be used for MOX nuclear fuel) like Japan? They are already whining about your SLV programme. As for the nuclear sharing, well the firing codes are in the hands of US with US forces guarding the war heads. It is only for use against US enemies not necessarily turkish enemies. Back in the cold war U could have only used it against USSR/eastern block in the event of a 3rd world war not necessarily a hypothetical war with Israel. That's the point. Turkey is not special like western allies of US.

of course they will whine about it. But we're gonna build that damn shuttle anyways. About the nukes: read in a newspaper, US offered Italy and Turkey to upgrade those nukes both both We and italians refused it but said want the nukes to stay. Even the wiki confirms that; half is uncle sam's and the other half's "under TURAF's commands with nato approval". But again, the highlighted part is of course true, but per my personal experience, we can't say the same for nato.

of course they will whine about it. But we're gonna build that damn shuttle anyways. About the nukes: read in a newspaper, US offered Italy and Turkey to upgrade those nukes both both We and italians refused it but said want the nukes to stay. Even the wiki confirms that; half is uncle sam's and the other half's "under TURAF's commands with nato approval". But again, the highlighted part is of course true, but per my personal experience, we can't say the same for nato.

Well the firing codes stays with US in NATO nuclear sharing even as per wiki. Does TURAF's have the authority and ability to fire off the nukes without the consent of US? I highly doubt that? Its too important and deadly a weapon to be used without US permission. That's the reason why France & UK went for their own nukes. And besides other than turkey, most western US allies of NATO share the same security concerns.

And yeah turkey must go for a robust space programme. U guys should replicate the Japanese model. A peaceful country officially but capable of going nuclear with ICBMs when the situation demands it.

Does TURAF's have the authority and ability to fire off the nukes without the consent of US? I highly doubt that? Its too important and deadly a weapon to be used without US permission. That's the reason why France & UK went for their own nukes.

Concerning UK, not entirely accurate.

See Links :

Nassau Agreement

Skybolt

Blue Streak

Engineering Britain's Superweapons [Ep3 1/5] "Blue Streak" - YouTube

Engineering Britain's Superweapons [Ep3 2/5]: "Blue Streak" - YouTube

Engineering Britain's Superweapons [Ep3 3/5]: "Blue Streak" - YouTube

Engineering Britain's Superweapons [Ep3 4/5]: "Blue Streak" - YouTube

Engineering Britain's Superweapons [Ep3 5/5]: "Blue Streak" - YouTube

UK Polaris programme

UK Trident programme

And yeah turkey must go for a robust space programme. U guys should replicate the Japanese model. A peaceful country officially but capable of going nuclear with ICBMs when the situation demands it.

Totally agree with you ! :smart:

Japan - De facto nuclear state (Wiki)

While there are currently no known plans in Japan to produce nuclear weapons, it has been argued Japan has the technology, raw materials, and the capital to produce nuclear weapons within one year if necessary, and some analysts consider it a de facto nuclear state for this reason. For this reason Japan is often said to be a "screwdriver's turn" away from possessing nuclear weapons.

Significant amounts of reactor-grade plutonium are created as a by-product of the nuclear energy industry, and Japan was reported in December 1995 to have 4.7 tons of plutonium, enough for around 700 nuclear warheads. Japan also possesses an indigenous uranium enrichment plant which could hypothetically be used to make highly enriched uranium suitable for weapon use. Japan has also developed the M-V three-stage solid fuel rocket, similar in design to the U.S. LGM-118A Peacekeeper ICBM, which could serve as a delivery vehicle, and has experience in re-entry vehicle technology (OREX, HOPE-X). Toshiyuki Shikata, a government adviser and former lieutenant general, indicated that part of the rationale for the fifth M-V Hayabusa mission, from 2003 to 2010, was that the reentry and landing of its return capsule demonstrated "that Japan's ballistic missile capability is credible."

It has been pointed out that as long as Japan enjoys the benefits of a "nuclear-ready" status held through surrounding countries, it will see no reason to actually produce nuclear arms, since by remaining below the threshold, albeit with the capability to cross it at short notice, Japan can expect the support of the US while posing as an equal to China and Russia.

See links :

M-V

M-V 7

Epsilon

HOPE-X

Back
Top Bottom