What's new

Turning Tables, U.S. Troops Ambush Taliban With Swift and Lethal Results

C.J. Chivers has the following from the guys in the Korengal for today-

In Bleak Afghan Outpost Troops Slog On-NYT May 14, 2009

Superb bit of writing as the NYT continues following the travails of 1-26 Infantry in the Korengal. Further, the accompanying video SHOWS the ambush and firefight where PFC Dewater is KIA by a command-detonated IED. You see a LOT of the battle and a superb view of the land. There's also a multi-media slide show.

The article reads like a company air assault in the valley and a sweep above 9,000 ft. that hit nothing. Also reads like most of the company was out overnight to do so.

The article covers the same unit which lost PFC Dewater a few days before to a command-detonated IED. Also the same that had sprung an ambush the day before the TIC that killed Dewater when they caught, IIRC 13 or so on a trail crossing.

Brutal contest of wills limited by the terrain to the numbers that can be sustained by either, I suspect. Claustrophobic too. Forests and tight deep valleys.

The video which accompanies this story fully shows the contact in which Dewater is killed. You see a LOT of the fight and a very good look at the terrain.

Very powerful imagry.

THIS remains my single most favorite photo of the war. For those that read to here, enjoy.

God bless our guys.:usflag:

Last edited:
Well done US Army

A good Taliban is a dead Taliban.. it doesn't matter who kills them be it the American military or the Pakistani Military unless they surrender and behave.. we both can agree that we are pretty much in the similar boat when dealing with these rag tags...

The multi-media show was interesting. It covered the night patrol to 9200 ft. in snow where this company medevaced 3-4 men with exhaustion. Evidently the hump back down wasn't fun either. Somehow ended up following a creekbed down to the valley bottom which took forever.

So too the video. You see the platoon in contact and guys moving under fire. You see the IED go off and get a chance to view both lieutenants under fire. They do well- composed and directing their men.

Korengal remains a world unto itself. I really don't know how much this represents the rest of the war. Certainly matters are different down Helmand way and certainly there are valleys like the Pech or Korengal in Khost or Nuristan. Each, though, might be different.

Certainly the people might be. The next valley might be 5 miles away but going against the grain of the valley and over it's spine might be a two day march. There's social/cultural isolation here like few places on earth.

I confess to finding the landscape utterly magical...

More C.J. Chivers' brilliance.

Watching video of this war in the Korengal and elsewhere (but certainly the Korengal) I've noted U.S. Marines at times in what seems largely a U.S. Army war.

Who are they? Here's their AMAZING story of these ballsy guys-

A Young Marine's Dream Job-NYT April 30, 2009 C.J. Chivers

Imagine a corporal, 25, with a Lance Corporal, 21, alone with 30 or so Afghans-any and all who could overwhelm them or slit their throats while sleeping, living, working, and training an afghan army infantry platoon in the Korengal valley.

HUGE responsibility for an E-4 and E-3. Corporal Conway's enlistment was up. He extended nine months, though, to gain this duty-living and working with these afghan men who attend the same mosque on Friday as their valley militant counterparts.

"How effective the American training mission will be is unclear. The corporal said it would be years before the Afghan Army was ready to operate independently full time. But he said he had seen reason for optimism.

The Afghan captain who worked here until early April was overweight, lazy and rarely left the firebase. He used Afghan infantryman as valets.
'I expected to come in and find the soldiers dropping grapes in his mouth,' Corporal Conroy said.

'Or fanning him with a palm branch,'said Lance Corporal Murray.

A new Afghan lieutenant rotated in last week. He is neat and lean, and has shown self-discipline and tactical sense. The Marines celebrated his arrival by buying a chestnut-and-white bull.

The Afghan soldiers bound the animal’s legs and flipped it onto its side. A soldier worked a blade across its throat. These Afghan soldiers eat meat once every two or three weeks. Tonight they would feast.

They were palpably happy.
'Let Barack Obama come here and kill a cow for us,' one said. The rest laughed.

Corporal Conroy watched until the jokes subsided. War, like politics, is local. He reminded the Afghans that a platoon looked out for itself, and that he was the senior American on hand.
'You don’t need Obama here,' he said. 'I bought the cow.

Helluva story about these guys...

Still no love for the U.S. Army doggies who cover their azzes though.:lol:

Yeah OK
Getting a few rag tags, who are using basic weaponary is nothing from a mighty military the US claims to be.
GEt me Usma and, rid of the Taliban in the world then blow your horn !
AT least then you have beaten the Soviets and many other nation that tried invade Afganistan.

Last edited:
What does your rant have to do with two marines and an afghan platoon?

"GEt me Usma and rid of the Taliban in the world then blow your horn !"

Does that mean we can cross into Pakistan? Last we heard you invited Haqqani, Hekmatyar, Omar, and OBL to be your guests while they make war on the Afghans and forty other nations.

Oh well, your problem now...:agree:

You get em'.

Good luck.:azn:

"AT least then you have beaten the Soviets and many other nation that tried invade Afganistan."

We're there by invite of the U.N. with permission of the duly-elected gov't of Afghanistan and along with forty other nations. You should apprise yourself of the facts, maybe.:agree:

What does your rant have to do with two marines and an afghan platoon?......

We're there by invite of the U.N. with permission of the duly-elected gov't of Afghanistan and along with forty other nations. You should apprise yourself of the facts, maybe.:agree:

-> :woot: :rofl::rofl:

Nice :tup:

That just says it all about you , doesn't it, there were no rant just an advice I was only saying :) but if ya want to be stupid about it by all means......
Yet again you made another post with self-pity, has no meaning or has nothing to with reality, and with that its only one thing a SANE, sensible, civilised man, LIKE ME got to do thats not to get into argument with mad man, but keep up with your delusional work. Excellent work S-2 :tup:
Make sure you wipe the throth around your mouth, get you posture right , next time and stop dwelling into self-pity its only a forum LOL !

Last edited:
"Yet again you made another post that has no meaning or has nothing to with reality, and with that its only one thing a SANE, sensible, civilised man, LIKE ME got to do thats not to get into argument with mad man, but keep up with your delusional work. Excellent work S-2"

No meaning? Like failing to answer what your loser rant has to do with two marines and an afghan platoon?

Ad hominem attacks on me don't change the facts.

Nothing wrong with what I said. Crystalline but undebated as you've ceded the field. Forty nations. One U.N. mandate. One Afghan invite.

The only disconnect from reality here is yours. Clearly those very verifiable facts upset your delicate irhabist disposition.

That, in turn, makes me very, very happy.:yahoo:

Meanwhile, I'm naturally very impressed that two exceedingly ballsy young enlisted marines live and work among their afghan friends while fighting irhabi azzholes that cozy up in Pakistan.

Life goes on...:usflag:

"throth"?

Oh! You mean...froth.

You're STILL off-topic on my thread, azzhole.

Illiterate as well.

Ho hum...:coffee:

"throth"?

Oh! You mean...froth.

You're STILL off-topic on my thread, azzhole.

Illiterate as well.

Ho hum...:coffee:

Ahh good you can spell :) :chilli: first ascending step to a proper post in level that is suited for people with an average IQ. examples of educated post are my posts take lessons.
lets hope you can produce an educated and pure factual post.
You still need to over come that.

And yes before you say it "AZZHOLE" is spelt wrong :undecided:

I can see there's a lot of hate in you in that little vessels of yours against Muslims. LOL seriously just quit it before you embarrasses your self further

Last edited:
"Oh good you can spell..."

Just one of the many things you've proven incapable of accomplishing with any modicum of skill.

There's more-like staying on topic and quoting facts.

You're welcome to disprove that a U.N. mandate exists, the afghan gov't hasn't stood elections (unlike Omar who wouldn't nor will contenence such EVER), or that forty or so nations AREN'T in Afghanistan.

Oh! And then discuss my latest posting here.

Short of that, I'm reporting you for one reason-I'd like to keep this thread open so I won't be indulging your dissembling nonsense any further. Clear?:)

Make up your mind and fast.:agree:

"Send the yankee pricks back in body bags:cheers:"

Be the irhabi prick to do so. Walk the talk in the Korengal with an AK-47, tough guy.:lol:

Until you can prove you've stepped up in defense of your country or cause, you're a worthless excuse for a man with such tough talk and so little of merit behind such...loser.:agree:

Now get off this thread unless you've something substantive to add to my latest article.

"Oh good you can spell..."

Just one of the many things you've proven incapable of accomplishing with any modicum of skill.

There's more-like staying on topic and quoting facts.

You're welcome to disprove that a U.N. mandate exists, the afghan gov't hasn't stood elections (unlike Omar who wouldn't nor will contenence such EVER), or that forty or so nations AREN'T in Afghanistan.

Oh! And then discuss my latest posting here.

Short of that, I'm reporting you for one reason-I'd like to keep this thread open so I won't be indulging your dissembling nonsense any further. Clear?:)

Make up your mind and fast.:agree:

Let me get this straight you are gonna complain after legit post I made ealier simply you can't give a proper answer ? Its not MY FAULT that you can't read or understand anything that has English
as it shows inyour post and spelling. Its you who keeps derailing the subject at hand I made a statement , theres no rant in it
stop accussing people who think different to you, of bullying you

READ MY POST CLEARLY BEFOR AGRUING !

And what skills - to sulk in self-pity ? riiiight but as for the facts the world knows LOL its suprising you don't so just leave it.

EDIT i too have made comlaint about you !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom