What's new

'U.S. has great difficulty tracking Iranian submarines'

Reaction score
TEHRAN, July 13 (MNA) -- The Christian Science Monitor on Thursday quoted retired U.S. Navy Commander Christopher Harmer as saying that the United States has great difficulty tracking Iranian mini-submarines.
Iranian mini-submarines are “a huge problem for us,” said Harmer, who served as the director of Future Operations for the U.S. Navy Fifth Fleet in Bahrain from 2008 to 2009.

Any submarine weighing less than 500 tons is generally regarded as a mini-submarine.

“They are a threat to us because they can disperse them throughout the Persian Gulf and the Arabian Sea, and it’s extremely difficult for us to track them,” he stated, adding that as a result, they can lay “in wait to execute an ambush.”

The U.S. Navy is more accustomed to tracking large, Soviet-era nuclear-class submarines, something Iran knows well, Harmer added.

He stated, “Looking for small subs in shallow water is much more difficult, because the acoustics are so much more difficult -- smaller makes less noise.”

As a result, he added, the Iranian military “has prioritized these mini-subs and (has) gone into overdrive building them.”

Five years ago, Iran had “no mini-subs,” said Harmer, who is currently a senior naval analyst at the Institute for the Study of War in Washington, adding that now Iran has 19 in service and is building an average of four per year, which is a “strategically significant” force.

Iran also has “significant special operations capability,” including “extensively” trained frogmen, Harmer stated.

According to U.S. military officials, while the diesel-electric powered Iranian mini-submarines have limited range, they have torpedo tubes and can quickly lay mines.

EP/HG
END
MNA
MehrNews.com - Iran, world, political, sport, economic news and headlines

I hope so you are right,persian.May God bless Iran. Seems to me a false flag in the Olympics is coming.

I am just posting the thread lol, it does not mean I agree or disgree with it.
but in this cause Of course I agree..in time of conflict the midget subs will lay at the sea bed waiting for american ships.
america has nothing which can stop worlds fastest torpedo(hoot) which is a upgraded version of russian shkval. the Persian gulf is shallow and is perfect for such midget subs.
also this years Iran will unveil their 600 ton fateh and hopefully besat 1200 Ton submarines.

also why people making such a big deal of the olympics? believe me if USA thought they could handle Iran they would had done it 30 years ago when Iran was muchhhh weaker.

I've read about all those recent threats coming out of Iran, but as I understand it, those threats are in direct retaliation for a preemptive strike by Israel on Iranian soil, and as of now the Iranians have not committed any violation of international law, but if by any chance Israel attacks Iran it would constitute an act of war, and Iran would have the right to defend itself with all means at it's disposal.
What would happen if, let's say, the Mexican air-force crossed over into the US and bombed your peaceful nuclear facilities?

I've read about all those recent threats coming out of Iran, but as I understand it, those threats are in direct retaliation for a preemptive strike by Israel on Iranian soil, and as of now the Iranians have not committed any violation of international law, but if by any chance Israel attacks Iran it would constitute an act of war, and Iran would have the right to defend itself with all means at it's disposal.
What would happen if, let's say, the Mexican air-force crossed over into the US and bombed your peaceful nuclear facilities?

My friend Iran should just leave the NPT and then they cannot say we are breaking the law. they have no single evidence that Iran is developing nukes yet China,Russia and USA and rest of SC at UN agreed on 4th round of sanctions.
this is about Iran being the only country that stands up to America and their zionists friends.
If USA by any chance does get Iran to be friendly to USA again then that would be very very bad news for Russia,China and India even. why? because then america would have complete monopoly over middle eastern oil which where India and Chins get their oil from so they will literally have monopoly over India and China's energy imports. It will be bad news for Russian because Iran is the only country standing between USA+NATO and them completely surrounded Russian.

Tracking is difficult but not impossible. Articles like these are mostly half-baked. Words like 'difficult' will come up in them. However, solutions will be never hinted upon.

Also, their is one major contradiction in this article; Iranian mini-subs have limited range. So how come they can be scattered in the Indian ocean?

Also, US can track any kind of submarine. Even Russian Akula II class.

For detailed information about US ASW capabilities; read this: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/policy/asw/asw-conops.pdf

The shah was much better. There was never talk of war when he was around.
Stupid Saudi backed ayatollahs ruined everything.

Saudi backed? The Saudis have nightmares about Iranian ayatollahs lol... You know who was better? Mohammad Mosaddegh, but the Americans and British had to overthrow our only democratically elected leader.

You're clearly a false flaggers, canadian mostly cannot find their own country on the map never mind know what Iran or shah of Iran was. :rofl:

Saudi backed? The Saudis have nightmares about Iranian ayatollahs lol... You know who was better? Mohammad Mosaddegh, but the Americans and British had to overthrow our only democratically elected leader.

LOL he reminds me of these people, well canada is a neighbour to USA.
watch it and tell me what similarities you can find between this "canadian" and the american in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're clearly a false flaggers, canadian mostly cannot find their own country on the map never mind know what Iran or shah of Iran was. :rofl:

LOL he reminds me of these people, well canada is a neighbour to USA.
watch it and tell me what similarities you can find between this "canadian" and the american in the video.

There are a lot of similarities, but then again what do you expect from a country that elected George Bush? Generally presidents should be amongst the smartest in society, so imagine what the average American is...

Last edited by a moderator:
can you explain how they overthrew him i dont understand ? how can they interfere by doing what? please explain and also can someone explain today how iran is ruled isit khameni is like president and ahmedinejad prime minister but khameni has control but prime minister does day to day things?

can you explain how they overthrew him i dont understand ? how can they interfere by doing what? please explain and also can someone explain today how iran is ruled isit khameni is like president and ahmedinejad prime minister but khameni has control but prime minister does day to day things?

You could at least try to search it on internet.Haven't you read about 'Opereation Ajax'?
You can Google it.Harry also provided the wiki source above.

yes i read it but i dont understand this , USA and UK gave money to thugs etc to overthrow the PM but didnt he have the whole army and police force? and how did he get arrested ?

Look, the US can and will say all this because they dont have their 'national pride' to worry about. US superiority over everything is rather well established.

Its all about making your enemy slip into false sense of security and invulnerability.

When the US praises an adversary, clearly there is something that needs correction.

Back
Top Bottom