What's new

Vietnam Defence Forum

If $15 million per ship to get it modernized by the latest weaponry, yes, it is absolutely making sense. Having just a single provider makes one paying a higher price. Economy 1x1. I believe the only thing some people in the army are worried is quality. are India make weapons of high quality and absolutely reliable?.

I don't know enough about every piece of equipment that will be used in the upgrade, but the sonars should be very good since they are derivatives from Thales sonars and Thales makes the best sonars in Europe. I think the overall package is very good.

I don't know enough about every piece of equipment that will be used in the upgrade, but the sonars should be very good since they are derivatives from Thales sonars and Thales makes the best sonars in Europe. I think the overall package is very good.
I think we are overall on a good path with increasing military cooperation with India. Hope we can do on the economic front as well. If India wants cheap goods and services why not buying from Vietnam? Superpower Chinese can sell their stuffs elsewhere. India can be a huge market for us.

What do you think?

Another hot topic. I once asked Chinese posters here how much money they pay other nations such as Cambodia, Russia in order to get the support, the okay for chinese claim and position in the SC sea?

No answer.

We will probably never know. But now we get a hint. According to the news, China agrees to give $600 millions to Cambodia. For election assistance and other infrastructure financing.

I am ready to bet, Russia gets at least $10 billions. Not only because Russia is much bigger, but the Chinese want Russia to reduce its brotherhood to Vietnam.

So we can roughly calculate how much it costs China to get 60 countries to get their support.

Even the Chinese have trillions dollars in their vaults, the outflow of money will hurt them a lot. You as businessman, having experience in dealing with them, probably know, how hard is it to get a yuan out of their pocket, don't you? :D

How trained and capable are the current Vietnamese forces? How sophisticated is their equipment?
One question related to Vietnam on Quora. Can someone help me solve the question? i really dont know much about our army.

One question related to Vietnam on Quora. Can someone help me solve the question? i really dont know much about our army.
Actually only Vietnam army leadership can answer your question. But I think we would expect too much if a response is coming.

Vietnam military capability is a guarded secret. Both military hardware and trainings of the soldiers. Some are disclosed and revealed but not all. One example: the bunker within Thanh Long imperial citadel in Hanoi was the headquarters of the Vietnam People's Army during the Vietnam war. From 1954 to 1975. But the location was revealed just some time ago. 40 years after the war.

Our army fears no country in SE Asia. Even their armies are united, they have little chance. We can take on hightec armies of Japan and Korea. Our biggest concern is China. She is our major security threat. To fight the Chinese we need both modern military hardware and intelligence. To avoid a war with them, we need both a sophisticated diplomacy and a threat of escalation of the conflict.

I think we are overall on a good path with increasing military cooperation with India. Hope we can do on the economic front as well. If India wants cheap goods and services why not buying from Vietnam? Superpower Chinese can sell their stuffs elsewhere. India can be a huge market for us.

What do you think?

Another hot topic. I once asked Chinese posters here how much money they pay other nations such as Cambodia, Russia in order to get the support, the okay for chinese claim and position in the SC sea?

No answer.

We will probably never know. But now we get a hint. According to the news, China agrees to give $600 millions to Cambodia. For election assistance and other infrastructure financing.

I am ready to bet, Russia gets at least $10 billions. Not only because Russia is much bigger, but the Chinese want Russia to reduce its brotherhood to Vietnam.

So we can roughly calculate how much it costs China to get 60 countries to get their support.

Even the Chinese have trillions dollars in their vaults, the outflow of money will hurt them a lot. You as businessman, having experience in dealing with them, probably know, how hard is it to get a yuan out of their pocket, don't you? :D

Ha ha, its not easy at all to get yuans out of their pockets. Typical chinese business will cut corners and do everything they can just to reduce cost a little bit. That's why there are a lot of products from China that don't even work out of the box or stop working soon after.

Last edited:
Yes, it certainly requires a decent air defense. With a Palma and 2 AK-630s, this ship is only good for patrols during peacetime or littoral operations under the mainland air defense umbrella. I'm glad is only $350 million per ship. Add another $50 million and can buy a S-400 battery which is a lot more useful I would say.
? I think you got wrong info, Gepard class 's only cost ~ $170~ $200 mil per ship.

? I think you got wrong info, Gepard class 's only cost ~ $170~ $200 mil per ship.

I'm talking about the second batch, all the sources including comcom said 350 million per ship. The first batch was 175 million per ship.

If you have reliable price info, then please tell us about the source.

I'm talking about the second batch, all the sources including comcom said 350 million per ship. The first batch was 175 million per ship.

I read from a article. Not sure 100% about first or second batch. It's just add ASW system and become double price !?

Any sources outside comcom !?
Comcom is more for fun, not most reliable.

I read from a article. Not sure 100% about first or second batch. It's just add ASW system and become double price !?

Any sources outside comcom !?
Comcom is more for fun, not most reliable.

For that price, for sure is for the first batch. A number of sources quoted the 350 million per ship, not just comcom. That's the only price that came out so far. Part of the difference is the ASW equipment and there is always inflation after a few years, but still, its too much of a difference unless there is something else included in the contract, but as usual, no details. When SIPRI gets to post the sale, we'll have confirmation of the contract value.

you think the 600million USD support is a complete 600 million USD outflow to us? Haha.

maybe Cambodia wants to build a new railway line. Super. China Railway Group will do the construction work for them. The construction will use excavators and cement pump trucks from Sany, cranes and wheeled-loaders from Xuzhou Construction Machinery Group, bulldozers from Shantui, Tunnel boring machine (TBM) from China Railway Engineering Equipment Group. The signaling system of the rails will be supplied by China Railway Signal & Communication Corp. The trains, no matter locomotives (diesel or electric), coaches, or wagons, will all be supplied by either CSR or CNR.

maybe Cambodia wants to build a new power plant. Super. China Machinery Engineering Corp. will do the construction work for Cambodia. Again, using a full spectrum of construction equipment from the Chinese companies. The power generation equipment will be supplied by either Shanghai Electric, Harbin Electric, or Dongfang Electric. The power transmission equipment will be supplied by either Tebian Electric or China XD Group.

maybe Cambodia wants to improve the public transportation systems in Phnom Penh. No problem! It can choose the conventional ICE buses from Yutong, King Long, or Foton. If it wants electric buses, BYD is there! If it wants to have a metro line, fine, Chinese construction contractor, Chinese construction equipment and Chinese metro vehicles are waiting for choice.

In the end, you will find the money is only moved from the pockets of the Chinese government, to the pockets of the Chinese companies and Chinese workers. Cambodia gets the improved infrastructure; Chinese companies gets the orders of new equipment sales, as well as access to the more profitable after sales business; and Chinese workers get the wages to support their families. Moreover, with the improved infrastructures in Cambodia, more Chinese machinery and vehicles will find their markets in Cambodia.

Since I could not post a direct link, here's the quote and screen capture.

aLpmLIW.jpg

Ngày 17.10.2012, Việt Nam đặt Nga đóng tiếp 2 tàu hộ tống tên lửa Gepard 3.9, trị giá 700 triệu USD, có chức năng săn ngầm.
Rough translation: On October 17th 2012, Vietnam ordered another two Gepard 3.9 frigate with ASW capability from Russia, the order worth is 700 million USD.

Since I could not post a direct link, here's the quote and screen capture.

aLpmLIW.jpg

Rough translation: On October 17th 2012, Vietnam ordered another two Gepard 3.9 frigate with ASW capability from Russia, the order worth is 700 million USD.

Heyyyyyy, are you the same silent knight of the MP forum? I hope..........

Back
Top Bottom