What's new

What is really holding India back?

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
India has done some very good things. It has managed its advent as a very important country in the world. It has increased its geopolitical strategic alliances around the world. The government is working towards developing itself: it is looking to resolve its energy crises, utilize its natural resources, increase industries. The nation has done a great job increasing its military strength. It has done a reasonably good job increasing security, & quelling militancy & violence inside the country. It has done a great job developing its urban centers, & in urbanizing some of its rural centers into urban ones (still a long way to go). The infrastructure on a whole has improved significantly, although a lot more work needs to be done all across the country though. But it's a positive trend.

Economically, India has clocked up 7-8% (real) GDP growth rates annually. While inflation has increased significantly, India is still doing well economically. But I was surprised to read that India has had 'jobless growth', & that there is still a problem with jobs in the country. People are still pretty hand-to-mouth with the rising inflation. So while in terms of the economy, India as a nation has done well, the Indian people have not reaped its benefits. There is widescale corruption in India, countless scams, & the economy only benefits a few people at the expense of the common people.

While urban centers increase in India, there are a lot of rural areas that choose to live a certain lifestyle as per their 'culture'. For example, it is common knowledge that many people have cell phones in villages, but they don't have a toilet, which is supposed to be a 'cultural thing'. So while the effects of urbanization have increased in India, they have still not touched large parts of India. So one needs to draw a line: where does the government's responsibility for the people end, & the people's responsibility for themselves begin?

Despite India clocking up high growth rates, India has still made little difference in most social indicators, where it still fares abysmally, falling low on an international scale with respect to other nations. How much of the responsibility lies with the government, & how much lies with the people themselves? India is an ancient society with deep rooted culture & heritage, some of its aspects holding India back as a nation.

Factors holding India back -

Politics..more precisely political parties.

The corruption arising out of them.

Bad neighbourhood.

I think bad neighborhood is more in terms of security inside the country. I do not think security is a huge concern inside India for the most part. I think there are many other issues inside India that hold it back, as compared to the effects it faces from the neighborhood.

Holding India back...

Bad politics

Lack of infrastructure

Acceptance of corruption as a part of life among indian populace

Lack of will power

Failure to implement policies

Holding India back...

Bad politics

Lack of infrastructure

Lack of will power

Lately i think India has to be commended in attempting to sort corruption out? There have been several high profile cases in the UK news about this. Hopefully this will start the ball rolling. We on the other hand havent even started.

Lately i think India has to be commended in attempting to sort corruption out? There have been several high profile cases in the UK news about this. Hopefully this will start the ball rolling. We on the other hand havent even started.

Attempts are being made...but here in India, this is not enough. Corruption here, is deep rooted especially when you look to north India....... it will take a lot more than govt policies or a strong lokpal to change this (I do not support the anna hazare movement btw ). They ought to start by bringing all the black money stashed abroad and injecting it into the economy.

There was a very good article by an Indian dissecting India's growth. One of the claims was that Indian industry is dominated by a handful of tightly owned huge companies which immediately quash new entrants.

I think bad neighborhood is more in terms of security inside the country. I do not think security is a huge concern inside India for the most part. I think there are many other issues inside India that hold it back, as compared to the effects it faces from the neighborhood.

Yes and that is why I listed Politics as the primary cause,

But there can be no two views about neighborhood playing a hindrance in Indian growth.Lets face it - Pakistan on one side and China/BD on the other side hardly make up for conducive neighbors. Not ot forget many of our 'internal' problems have their origins outside our borders.

Those states can say the same about India..but from an India pov this is also one of the critical factors.

Yes and that is why I listed Politics as the primary cause,

But there can be no two views about neighborhood playing a hindrance in Indian growth.Lets face it - Pakistan on one side and China/BD on the other side hardly make up for conducive neighbors. Not ot forget many of our 'internal' problems have their origins outside our borders.

Those states can say the same about India..but from an India pov this is also one of the critical factors.

But how much of it is the politics, & how much is the people themselves? There is only so much a government can do, but if some people prefer having cell phones over adequate sanitation, there is so much a government can do. It's a cultural thing. But I did mention corruption as a huge issue too.

But how much of it is the politics, & how much is the people themselves? There is only so much a government can do, but if some people prefer having cell phones than adequate sanitation, there is so much a government can do. It's a cultural thing. But I did mention corruption as a huge issue as well.

more than 99% people, after all they are the ones electing their leaders....they totally deserve what they r getting

But how much of it is the politics, & how much is the people themselves? There is only so much a government can do, but if some people prefer having cell phones than adequate sanitation, there is so much a government can do. It's a cultural thing. But I did mention corruption as a huge issue as well.

Corruption in India has its root in its political parties (specially CONgress and other Nepotist parties) and if corruption is finished or even minimized then the other factors can easily be overcomed. It all interlinked. Corrution-education-sanitation...If one is corrected it starts a kind of positive domino effect and other things start to fall in place automatically.

Holding India back...

Bad politics

Lack of infrastructure

Lack of will power

I don't think so... this problems are persist in more than 90 % of countries of the world. So it is wrong to single out India.

I think our friends are too critical of India .. we need more time .. we are moving in right direction for sure. China started reforms in 1970s so they are eating sweet fruit right now but we started liberalisation in 1992 so we need more time. Give some 10 years more we will be in a different league altogether.

And I don't think India is holding back anymore.

Back
Top Bottom