What's new

What is the Best fighter jet for Bangladesh Air force in the future?

It is not true that many people in BD hate Pakistan, although we have good reasons to do so, and instead, like India. It may be the opposite. The thing, as it stands, is JF-17's capabilities have not been proved in a battle.

When it is US or French new machines, the buyers trust them only because these countries have been manufacturing war planes for many decades and all their past experiences, that have been proved in battles, are incorporated into a newly designed jet.

In case of Pakistan, JF-17 is its first experiment. If this jet can prove its worth in a war, then, I think, the military generals from other countries will come forward to have a closer look at this machine.

By the way, I am not suggesting that Pakistan should start a new war against one of its neighbours to prove the capability of its JF-17.

Though a useless thread to begin with. Specially without specifying country needs, Its defence doctrine, history of Asset procurements,Trends in purchases, Available budgets and Intent of purchases etc etc. And that's why wild guesses are shooting around.

But any how since you have raised an issue which most other members also believe to be correct because of their lack of substantial knowledge on this issue, so i thought to clarify it a bit.

The concept of battle proven does not apply any more. This phenomenon, worked out very well in the past, up till early nineties. In today's rapidly changing world, new advancements are tacking place and the Technological Universe is going nuts. Each day new technologies are developed and applied . These Technologies even don't serve a quarter of their perceived lives as new one arrives and make them insignificant if not obsolete. The rate at which this is happening is Alarmingly high. A good example of this annoying situation is to note how Britain is feeling the heat for its Euro fighter as JSF is knocking on the door. Turkey also turned down The Mighty Euro fighter offer seeing JSF was already there. Similarly France and its Rafael is also a victim of this merciless reality.Plenty of more examples if one looks arround.

Regarding the issue where JF-17 has to prove its battle worthiness is applicable as much to Euro fighter, Rafael and Gripen and Every other Fighter that is new born and has not performed in a war, first hand.
Euro fighter and Rafael taking part in WoT in Afghanistan does not prove their battle worthiness, They have yet to face their match, where their actual strengths and weaknesses would be determined.

I don't agree with this phenomenon, not any more, despite of the fact that its significance in the past cannot be ignored. Where in Air war a fighter and its pilot were the only determinants on the out come. these days all that have changed, No more close combat, dogfights, To many variables have joined in, from new generations of BVRAAM, to Long range SAMs, From AWACS searching and tracking to hundreds of miles to effective ECM solutions, From satellite navigation to effective data links, etc ,etc. due the emergence of these new variables the concept of "battle proven" has lost its significance.

In the modern times, the winner of wars will be decided who have most of these variables and who is going to use them effectively and not on basis of a platform and performance in the past alone.

:pakistan:

Adios

Last edited:
Hey. how long have the BD airfocre been using the Mig 29s? Can you post me some link regarding info about BD airforce?

Since 1999-2000 BAF uses Mig-29s.

I don't think it will be Migs again,because they are not maintenance friendly.

I support the procurement of Jf-17s for three reasons.

1.BAF uses a lot of ACs of Chinese origin.besides western upgrades are available for Jf-17.
2.It costs less and according to report,maintenance friendly.
3.It suits the role of Interceptor,replacing the F-7s eventually.

Officially Jf-17 is not rejected,as far as I know.But with AL govt. in power,I don't think Jf-17 will be under consideration.

The important thing to note is,since BAF's future procurement is aimed to counter newly ordered Burmese Mig-29s,I don't think BAF will look forward to an interceptor.Instead they probably will be air-superiority fighters.

The best fighters for both Pakistan and Bangladesh at the moment are JF17 and J10B

If bangladesh is looking for a good 4th gen aircraft for defense, then AIDC Ching-Kuo is a good fighter aircraft...

75fd7b4c628d272bd22f318f34753ccb.jpg

Don't you think you are shooting in the dark?

I don't think that's up for sale...besides Taiwan won't sell those to a nation which is close to China.

LCA Tejas...production line of FCK-1 is closed had it been an effective taiwanese wouldn't be asking us to provide them with more F-16s..

options for BD
F-16 blk 50/52 usa (15 units around $850M excludes all other costs & weapons, infrastructure etc) looking for sanctions? nothing better than going for this one

JF-17 Pakistan/China (15 units around $375M excludes all other costs & weapons, infrastructure) you decide.

su-30 standard version (15 units around $700M excludes the rest-extremely high maintenance cost) if you have money keep spending on it

Gripen NG (with american approval-15 units around $850M excludes all other costs &weapons, infrastructure-high maintenance cost) look no further for sanctions its right at your door steps

F-18E (15 units around $1B excludes all the costs & weapons) invite sanctions..

Mig-29M (15 units around $600M - high maintenance cost) consider it like a banned item on ebay.

I think, BD should go for 4th generation fighter AC.
BD needs only 60 to 80 AC, Enough to defend

Current fleet
16 Mig -29
40 F-7
18 A-5
15 L-39
Total 89

New Options could be (following are all 4th generation AC)

JF-17, 20 (For Multirole)
Mig - 29 (currently 16 in BD air fleet , buy 14 used), total 30 (For Air superiority)
Mirage III/V (Used from Pak), 20 (For Ground Attack)
Mirage 2K (From UAE), 20 or 20 Mirage ROSE from Pak (For Multirole)

Above are good for BD coz, cheaper, easily accessable and have strong repute in world Air forces.

A few problems with the suggestion:

1)Buying used aircraft is often not a good idea. They may come cheap but maintenance will skyrocket after some time. Also, useful life will be low. To add to that, most countries sell used aircraft when those aircraft are obsolete or near obsolete, so they won't do any good for the buyer. Used Mig-29s are likely to be near their end of their life, just like used Mirage III/V. Of the used lot, only the UAE Mirages are worth considering.

2) You have suggested 4 different aircraft types. For an air force fielding less than 100 aircraft, thats too much. Even large air forces often struggle with logistical problems of operating several platforms. It would be much more cost-effective for BD to have one or two platforms.

An example:

(a) 30-40 MiG-29. Buy new aircraft to complement existing ones. Upgrade existing ones. Use primarily for air superiority.

(b) 40-60 other aircraft. This can be multi role aircraft, like JF-17, J-10, Mirage 2000 series, Gripen, F-18 or F-16. I haven't suggested Russian aircraft since BD wouldn't want over dependence on one supplier.

Personally, I think Gripen would be the best choice. It offers very good tech for its money, is supposed to be easy to operate and maintain, and would give BD a real qualitative edge, especially if BD gets Gripen-NG. Also it is very versatile, capable of operating from Roads and makeshift air fields, should the need arise. And Gripen would be around longer than F-16, so will get mid-life upgrades.

Remember, the plane acts like a force multiplier on the pilot's talent. So imagine a pilot of the MM Alam's calibre in a Gripen-NG....need I say more?:sniper:

Last edited:
su-47...seriously you are suggesting 30-40 mig-29s for BD? have a look at what Malaysians are saying about their mig-29s..
Malaysia admitted that it is getting rid of its MiG-29 fighters because the aircraft are too expensive to maintain..but for financial reasons they are keeping them for 2-3 years more..

su-47...seriously you are suggesting 30-40 mig-29s for BD? have a look at what Malaysians are saying about their mig-29s..
Malaysia admitted that it is getting rid of its MiG-29 fighters because the aircraft are too expensive to maintain..but for financial reasons they are keeping them for 2-3 years more..

I only suggested MiG-29 since it is already in BD's arsenal. I dunno how much BD likes or hates its MiGs.

Ok, an alternative suggestion...

1) Keep the 16 MiG-29s BD currently has. Upgrade if necessary. Otherwise phase them out.

2) Get 65-80 (more if MiGs are phased out) other aircraft like JF-17, J-10, Mirage 2000 series, Gripen, F-18 or F-16.

I only suggested MiG-29 since it is already in BD's arsenal. I dunno how much BD likes or hates its MiGs.

Ok, an alternative suggestion...

1) Keep the 16 MiG-29s BD currently has. Upgrade if necessary. Otherwise phase them out.

2) Get 65-80 (more if MiGs are phased out) other aircraft like JF-17, J-10, Mirage 2000 series, Gripen, F-18 or F-16.

1. fast of all we bought only 8 mig-29 during the last awami gov. i didn't hear any further purchase of this aircraft . maintenance cost was huge that it was kept unused as i know.
2 .we have around 40 f-7 and some a-5 in our inventory which is need replace by more capable aircraft

during last govt we have place a proposal to buy 36 j-10 for 1.5 billion dollar
i thing bd govt can only exercise this option as we traditionaly a chinese buyer and financialy affordable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom