What's new

What language do you think in?

When I was learning French in UK (At that time it was a requirement to have an O level in French, Spanish, German or Russian for one to graduate in the Science Subjects), I realized that I was thinking in English and translating the same mentally into French.

I do think in Punjabi as well as in Urdu depending upon whom I am conversing with. Even though I speak passable Farsi, I think in Urdu and translate it mentally. Many a times I have become conscious of this as I am not sure if the word used in Urdu is of Persian origin or not thus I end up speaking Farsi slowly.

I remember watching this episode of Heroes, where this telepath tries to listen into this person's head. But the person starts to think in Japanese, and the telepath's like I can't understand it!

Personally I think in Urdu, I think, will be a little conscious of it now.

Hi John, and welcome.

Me think in a mix of three languages, english, urdu and punjabi and some times just jibrish.

i speak hindi,bengali,marwari,urdu,punjabi,haryanvi and english
think in hindi/english
and curse in haryanvi and punjabi...we all know that english ki gaaliyan toh garam hawa hoti hain...punjabi ki gaaliyan hawa urda deti hain..!

good question.......when in england i think in english....when in pakistan after couple of weeks i start thinking in punjabi.

I remember for quite some time after coming to Uk I would think in Urdu and translate in English. It is because of this tendency that the right words do not come out(at least not the words that one would expect from a local). As i have lived here longer and longer it seems to have changed and now I think in English. I still get stuck for the right word at times but generally do well. The more interesting thing is what language one would think in when one is put into stressful conditions? I have a feeling you revert to the language that you are most comfortable with.It may also have to do with what age you shifted out of your country to your new homeland. People who shifted out as children will adapt a lot quicker, whereas, people who did it in their late 20s or30s will do so later or perhaps never!!
WaSalam
Araz

I think in German and English, but can speak some other languages:

-German
-English
-French
-Urdu
-Punjabi
-Greek, only a bit bcz my father can speak fluently

I speak urdu , sindhi and English .
I never think in sindhi which is my mother tongue , I think in urdu , sometimes english . Most of time , it's urdu . When I pray to Allah , I pray in urdu to him . When I talk to myself in thoughts , it's urdu .
When I'm so much tense , I don't know why.. I think in english .

This may seem like a rather stupid question, but I posed this question to several naturalized immigrants and was very surprised with the answer. You can also ask this question to any multi-lingual person who is native American or for that matter anyone who is multi-lingual.

So go right ahead!!:D
I absolutely think in English. Left Pakistan when I was 10 and initially struggledbti think in English but now I only think in English

I speak urdu , sindhi and English .
I never think in sindhi which is my mother tongue , I think in urdu , sometimes english . Most of time , it's urdu . When I pray to Allah , I pray in urdu to him . When I talk to myself in thoughts , it's urdu .
When I'm so much tense , I don't know why.. I think in english .
When you talk to yourself....sister there is a word for that in English. Looool

I absolutely think in English. Left Pakistan when I was 10 and initially struggledbti think in English but now I only think in English

When you talk to yourself....sister there is a word for that in English. Looool

What's that word .. lol

Psycho.......when you get married ask your husband to sleep with one eye open..looool
Lol . Talking to yourself is absolutely normal .
Do u hear voices too and shake you head a little?

No no not at all .

Though an year before , I used to talk a lot to myself and this reached to such extent that I would smile to myself .. always.. sometimes people find me laughing to myself .. Lmao that was so embarrassing .. I can't talk about it .
But alhamdulillah, as I've grown up this habit is not anymore .. now I live in present and mind got active about nd busy .

Lol . Talking to yourself is absolutely normal .

No no not at all .

Though an year before , I used to talk a lot to myself and this reached to such extent that I would smile to myself .. always.. sometimes people find me laughing to myself .. Lmao that was so embarrassing .. I can't talk about it .
But alhamdulillah, as I've grown up this habit is not anymore .. now I live in present and mind got active about nd busy .
I will let you in on a secret....but don't tell anyone.
I also talk to myself.....it's because the world doesn't understand me. You see they are all mad.

Looool

I will let you in on a secret....but don't tell anyone.
I also talk to myself.....it's because the world doesn't understand me. You see they are all mad.

Looool

I agree , the world is crazy .. doesn't understands us . We're the proud self talkers !
Your secret's safe with me .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom