What's new

What’s the India, China Doklam standoff about?

Nehru had confirmed Doklang belongs to PRC in a letter he wrote to Premier Zhou En Lai back in 22th March year 1959
Letters show Nehru didn’t endorse British-era treaty with China on Sikkim border
Letter written in 1959 by former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru is contrary to what China claims is India’s acceptance of the border along Sikkim and Bhutan.

Updated: Jul 04, 2017 23:07 IST

Geng Shuang cited the letter from Nehru to Enlai, written on March 22, 1959, that India’s protectorate state Sikkim’s border with China was confirmed by a treaty signed between China and Britain in 1890, and that the border was demarcated in 1895.

The treaty in question was the Convention between Great Britain and China relating to Sikkim and Tibet and signed between colonial Britain and China’s Qing dynasty in then-Calcutta in 1890.

Citing the treaty and another letter, Geng said: “On September 26, 1959, Nehru confirmed with Zhou that there was no dispute on the China-Sikkim border”.

That letter from Nehru to Zhou on September 26, actually, said more than what China is telling the world: broadly, India stood by the 1890 agreement only as far as northern Sikkim was concerned.

“This Convention of 1890 also defined the boundary between Sikkim and Tibet; and the boundary was later, in 1895, demarcated. There is thus no dispute regarding the boundary of Sikkim with the Tibet region. This clearly refers to northern Sikkim and not to the tri-junction which needed to be discussed with Bhutan and Sikkim and which is today the contentious area. And once more, let us not forget that the 1890 Treaty was an unequal treaty as Tibet, Sikkim and Bhutan were not involved,” Nehru wrote to Zhou in the letter, which has been accessed by the Hindustan Times.

But Nehru pointed out in the,”letter that boundaries of Sikkim and Bhutan needed to be included in the discussions.

“It is not clear to us what exactly is the implication of your (Premier Zhou) statement that the boundaries of Sikkim and Bhutan do not fall within the scope of the present discussion. In fact, Chinese maps show sizeable areas of Bhutan as part of Tibet,” Nehru wrote.

“Under treaty relationships with Bhutan the Government of India are the only competent authority to take up with other Governments matters concerning Bhutan’s external relations, and in fact we have taken up with your Government a number of matters on behalf of the Bhutan Government,” Nehru wrote.

“The rectification of errors in Chinese maps regarding the boundary of Bhutan with Tibet is therefore a matter which has to be discussed along with the boundary of India with the Tibet region of China in the same sector,” Nehru added.

Letters show Nehru didn’t endorse British-era treaty with China on Sikkim border
Letter written in 1959 by former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru is contrary to what China claims is India’s acceptance of the border along Sikkim and Bhutan.

Updated: Jul 04, 2017 23:07 IST

Geng Shuang cited the letter from Nehru to Enlai, written on March 22, 1959, that India’s protectorate state Sikkim’s border with China was confirmed by a treaty signed between China and Britain in 1890, and that the border was demarcated in 1895.

The treaty in question was the Convention between Great Britain and China relating to Sikkim and Tibet and signed between colonial Britain and China’s Qing dynasty in then-Calcutta in 1890.

Citing the treaty and another letter, Geng said: “On September 26, 1959, Nehru confirmed with Zhou that there was no dispute on the China-Sikkim border”.

That letter from Nehru to Zhou on September 26, actually, said more than what China is telling the world: broadly, India stood by the 1890 agreement only as far as northern Sikkim was concerned.

“This Convention of 1890 also defined the boundary between Sikkim and Tibet; and the boundary was later, in 1895, demarcated. There is thus no dispute regarding the boundary of Sikkim with the Tibet region. This clearly refers to northern Sikkim and not to the tri-junction which needed to be discussed with Bhutan and Sikkim and which is today the contentious area. And once more, let us not forget that the 1890 Treaty was an unequal treaty as Tibet, Sikkim and Bhutan were not involved,” Nehru wrote to Zhou in the letter, which has been accessed by the Hindustan Times.

But Nehru pointed out in the,”letter that boundaries of Sikkim and Bhutan needed to be included in the discussions.

“It is not clear to us what exactly is the implication of your (Premier Zhou) statement that the boundaries of Sikkim and Bhutan do not fall within the scope of the present discussion. In fact, Chinese maps show sizeable areas of Bhutan as part of Tibet,” Nehru wrote.

“Under treaty relationships with Bhutan the Government of India are the only competent authority to take up with other Governments matters concerning Bhutan’s external relations, and in fact we have taken up with your Government a number of matters on behalf of the Bhutan Government,” Nehru wrote.

“The rectification of errors in Chinese maps regarding the boundary of Bhutan with Tibet is therefore a matter which has to be discussed along with the boundary of India with the Tibet region of China in the same sector,” Nehru added.
Please show me this letter.

I don't have problem you endorse Indians, I don't like them.

They even fabricated IA kill 300 PLA in Nathula conflict in year 1967 by modifying the Wikolopedia. I won't believe anything this rogues fabricated. Now there starts the north and south Sikkim story?

It was because India agreed Doklang went to China that China gave tacit consent to India that Sikkim is a part of India. This is for sure and no doubt.

Does anyone know about Bhutanese opinions on the matter? I really do not see any out there. From my experience with them, they are an extremely laid-back bunch.

5975a5cbdda4c8a2278b4567.jpg

Note the picture above with the Sikh Indian soldier with hundreds of Chinese troops behind him. Look at him with such a brave face!! Indian or what, I admire his very manly stance. However, only one bullet may end his precious life.

For a moment I thought the soldiers behind were Indian soldiers and the Sikh guy is the commander.

What a badass dude. Imagine what must be going through his head. Standing like this in front of heavily armed enemy troops. Very patriotic and admirable.

Innocent brave young Patriotic men. Filthy corrupt Politicians merely use them as disposable pawns.

They were participating in an anti-terror drill. Many countries do these kinds of multinational exercises. Though I agree, it looks very manly. Very commander like!

If India wanted to engulf any of the smaller neighbours we could have done way back

Invasion is easy. Occupation with a resistant population is the hard part. A war that goes on for a long period of time is a loss, not a profit for any country. I think your country's leaders understand that.

Invasion is easy. Occupation with a resistant population is the hard part. A war that goes on for a long period of time is a loss, not a profit for any country. I think your country's leaders understand that.
India is neither to invade nor occupy BD. It wants all the political parties and hence all the govts to remain subservient and to look after the interest of India without asking any questions. However, I believe that the present govt may be a lackey of India, but the BD military is causing a kind of tug of war between the AL govt policy and the military's patriotism, whereby the latter forces the govt to show only a token gratitude towards India, while at the same time, the govt is unable to distract the military from building a deep BD-China defence relationship.

Last edited:
Please show me this letter.
It was not me who said about this Nehru letter to Chou-en-Lai. So, please retrieve it by yourself. Anyway, I can see very little prospect of a war in Doklang because the USA is playing its game to lure China in the middle south. This may cause a vacuum in the Pacific where China has much in stake. So, neither India nor China will go to war as a solution to the issue. There is going to be a stalemate in Doklang, I believe. But, I wonder, why this issue is not raised in the UN Security Council for discussion.

Last edited:
If China doesn't teach Barat a hard lesson, they will go out of control. Once China is down, no one can tie down aviricious Barat anymore. So I appeal all nations in the subcontinents shall support China's righteous stance in Dokland, and can't let Barat act wantonly in the area. I also apeal India to let Bhutan make their own decision rather than control them like a puppet.

In Barat's eyes, Pakistan/BD/Sri Lanka are all India's land, that's why they must defeat China before they can swallow you down.

If anyone of you still have delusion in India, you are digging tombs for yourself.

Good Try Dude, after the way you swallowed Tibet, curbed their freedom to practice Buddhism, their culture and they way you are are curbing Muslims in practicing their faith in Xinjiang and other regions .......and the way you forces the might of Communist State on poor people in the name of population control, need for highways and roadways and industrilizaion ..your practice of going back on your promise ( Hong Kong, South China Sea etc) ....after all this , if you expect Bhutanese to trust you or be friendly to you .....than you are just hallucinating .

India unlike China is a status quo power. In last 70 years it never initiated war ( say with PAKISTAN over J&K). Bangladesh , Srilanka and Pakistan knows that we do not want any additional land and or people.

Keep bullying Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, BD, and Sri Lanka. You will harvest what you sow in the end.

The more you bully them, the more it bounce back.

Keep exposing yourslef, Devil.

Tell me why your Marshal jump up and down like a Gorilla when China sold subs to BD, does it make you more difficult to swallow them!? Why BD need Subs? Some cheap OPV will dilute BD's resolution to improve its navy? Who you think you are Barat? Why Indian like to shit on the street?

Arrey we will be working with BD and exploring the Sub to know it better. BD is our friend, just like Singapore, Bhutan , Nepal.

India unlike China is a status quo power. In last 70 years it never initiated war ( say with PAKISTAN over J&K). Bangladesh , Srilanka and Pakistan knows that we do not want any additional land and or people.
You are wrong on this count that India never initiated wars. On the contrary, Indian power playing is the cause of many wars. Think of Kashmir, which Pakistan feels belong to them. This resulted a tension that caused wars many times. In SL India engaged in proxy war by assisting the Tamils in all the fronts except direct participation. In BD, you gave shelters to our rebels many times who instigated war with Indian help.

[QUOTE="Bangladesh , Srilanka and Pakistan knows that we do not want any additional land and or people. Arrey we will be working with BD and exploring the Sub to know it better. BD is our friend, just like Singapore, Bhutan , Nepal.[/QUOTE]

:sniper::sniper::sniper::blah::blah::argh::argh::suicide::closed:

You are wrong on this count that India never initiated wars. On the contrary, Indian power playing is the cause of many wars. Think of Kashmir, which Pakistan feels belong to them. This resulted a tension that caused wars many times. In SL India engaged in proxy war by assisting the Tamils in all the fronts except direct participation. In BD, you gave shelters to our rebels many times who instigated war with Indian help.

Kashmir : What is the basis of Pakistan Claim? Muslim religion? Both India and Bangladesh has more Muslim. Muslim did not move to Pakistan and stayed in India. Pakistan was infact falsely created with conspiracy of Britain and agents on British role. We are fine with Pakistan (don't want to do with the religious nut case) but Pakistan Army needs a basis to seize power and Kasmir on boil gives them the reason. Pakistan Army will lose all power if there is no war / conflict. Funny, Paksitan initiated all wars .

Sri Lanka: Read the history of Sinhalese atrocities ( just like Pakistan Atrocities on East Pakistan ) on Tamils. The deluge of refugees in India. But we do not covet Sri Lanka land. We infact transferred our sea portion to Sri Lanka , the way we gave more land to Bangladesh. Do you remember, just like China, we also lost claim in Bay Of Bengal to Bangladesh ( UNCLOS rules) but we like a law abiding nation, accepted and honored the verdict. But China lost the case and is not honoring. Look at their 9 / 18 dash line and their claim. It is funniest joke on planet.

Bangladesh : Long before formation of Bangladesh, Pakistan and China has been interfering and instigating and supplying arms to NE rebels of India. Its just CI action by India

China already reclaimed Hongkong's sovereignty back in year 1997.
Well HK till now isn't completely integrated with China. Otherwise you wouldn't be having this one country two policy.....there wouldn't any mark on your passport when you move from say Shanghai to HK....but I get you. I think in a few decades HK will be integrated with China. Although can't say same about Taiwan, South Tibet..

Well HK till now isn't completely integrated with China. Otherwise you wouldn't be having this one country two policy.....there wouldn't any mark on your passport when you move from say Shanghai to HK....but I get you. I think in a few decades HK will be integrated with China. Although can't say same about Taiwan, South Tibet..
As long as China is getting stronger and richer, we will get Taiwan in a peaceful way. As to South Tibet, applying force is the only way.

As long as China is getting stronger and richer, we will get Taiwan in a peaceful way. As to South Tibet, applying force is the only way.
As likely as we forming a greater Bengal. Poor India...everyone wants a piece of it.

Back
Top Bottom