What's new

When the majority chooses not to resist and stay silent..

Religion is boring, yet terrifying. It requires you to spend alot of time doing things that are not productive in the "physical world". They may be rewarding in the spiritual one but all humans must live in the physical world.

However, this same phenomenon that forces people to spend unproductive time doing things that they neither truly enjoy (people enjoy games, not memorization, and if memorizing was truly fun, why not read a dictionary?) nor are physically useful, also drives people to murder.

some atheists mention communism. communism did kill people, but so did every other system of belief in the world. by body count, american democracy is the most bloody system in history. communism also industrialized the most important nations in the world today. did any religion send the first satellite into space, 1st man into space, fastest fission-fusion transition in history? look around the world, regardless of what actual religion they believe in, religious countries as whole are technology and manufacturing importers, and natural resource (both mineral and human) exporters. why is this? i don't want to say anything extreme, but consider that religion may have an opportunity cost.

i don't like to talk about religion but this has gotten out of hand, this is not a board for religion.

That is exactly what he meant by the silent majority.

Anyone who disagrees can by this logic, can be pigeon holed into the OP's twisted definition of "silent majority"?

I lived in Germany for several years. It is a closed society, what the OP posted is a reflection of the ugly xenophobia streak in parts of that society all dressed up in platitudes of "oh if only good people would do something"

Spare me.

Anyone who disagrees can by this logic, can be pigeon holed into the OP's twisted definition of "silent majority"?

Playing devil's advocate, disagreement showing well constructed reason is different than disagreement with one liner. However I do think, it's the dismay of watching mainstream Muslims attempt at curbing the terror falling into deaf ears, caused the one-liner.

As EjazR pointed out, there have been many attempts by Muslims, I think Deoband issued a fatwa against terrorism years ago. The problem is, no one seems to in control of Jehadis now, they are an independent organisation of their own. If for anything Muslim leaders can be blamed, that is for their short-sightedness and not being able to smell the problem at it's inception. Cold war did greater damages to Muslim world than it did to rest of the world.

Articles like this are the bread and butter of right wing poiltics. If you google excerpts (a few lines) from the article, mostly right wing nuttty websites pop up with this article.

This article has been making rounds in the right wing circles for at least more than two years.

Israpundit Blog Archive “A German’s point of view on Islam”
« Seminole Chronicle: Hamas is Just A Political Party.........Front Page.........Obama’s Extensive Ties to Hate Groups and Bigots »
January 11, 2008
“A German’s point of view on Islam”
by Dr. Emanuel Tanay, Psychiatrist

A man whose family was German aristocracy prior to World War ll owned a number of large industries and estates. When asked how many German people were true Nazis, the answer he gave can guide our attitude toward fanaticism. ‘Very few people were true Nazis’ he said, ‘but many enjoyed the return of German pride, and many more were too busy to care. I was one of those who just thought the Nazis were a bunch of fools. So, the majority just sat back and let it all happen. Then, before we knew it, they owned us, and we had lost control, and the end of the world had come. My family lost everything.

A German is writing this peice is not by chance. By using a German guilt ridden individual the nutjobs are trying to give the article a lift.

Articles like this are the bread and butter of right wing poiltics. If you google excerpts (a few lines) from the article, mostly right wing nuttty websites pop up with this article.

This article has been making rounds in the right wing circles for at least more than two years.

Israpundit Blog Archive “A German’s point of view on Islam”

A German is writing this peice is not by chance. By using a German guilt ridden individual the nutjobs are trying to give the article a lift.

Thank you VERY much! This was the last piece I needed to put this ugly little diatribe to bed.

I'm surprised by the how little foresight third eye showed in posting this. His obvious hatred for Islam blinded him to the fact that these right wing sentiments against Muslims are the same ones that discriminate against Indians (or Chinese) abroad.

Hate is not something to be shared and the enemy of your enemy is not your friend

Last edited:
That is exactly what he meant by the silent majority.

No, it isn't.

The writer is claiming that the fanatics are 'taking over an entire continent', implying that the majority of European Muslims are fanatics.

If anybody agrees with this thesis, then that is their prerogative, but they won't be taken seriously by most logical, thinking people who are grounded in reality rather than some alarmist, extremist agenda.

some atheists mention communism. communism did kill people, but so did every other system of belief in the world. by body count, american democracy is the most bloody system in history.

Absolute dribble. Stalinism and Maoism alone killed directly probably upwards of 50 million, and millions more by gross State mismanagement. Implying the U.S. has killed 50 million people... you have either swallowed propaganda, or are grossly mistaken.

Indeed, Atheism was State policy in both the USSR and Mao's China. When the USSR absorbed the Baltic States, and other nations after WW2, the re-education began immediately. Commissars (political officers) would visit schools, and ask the children to close their eyes, and pray for candy. When the candy did not appear, the commissar would hand each child a piece of candy, and intone "The STATE will provide..."

So while they may not have chanted "In the name of Atheism, I kill you" the effect was little different.

As for Charitable giving, I guess Bill Gates is shouldering the load for atheists everywhere. It requires organization to get the food, the clothing, the good works, to those in need. Since there is no atheistic organizations beyond loose intellectual "clubs", then I guess we leave it to the religions to do the actual hard work, unless we want inefficient or corrupt entities like the U.N. to do it. It's easy to dump a few $$ in a box somewhere, it is entirely another to get on an airplane and go build houses in poor, 3rd world nations. I have seen this probably 100+ times, and in every case, it was a religious organization doing this.

It's easy to blame wars on religion. The truth is, if you look at the true roots of war, 95% of the time, they are fought over resources, land, or ethnicity, all entirely removed from faith, or covered in a false mantle of faith.

Absolute dribble. Stalinism and Maoism alone killed directly probably upwards of 50 million, and millions more by gross State mismanagement. Implying the U.S. has killed 50 million people... you have either swallowed propaganda, or are grossly mistaken.

Indeed, Atheism was State policy in both the USSR and Mao's China. When the USSR absorbed the Baltic States, and other nations after WW2, the re-education began immediately. Commissars (political officers) would visit schools, and ask the children to close their eyes, and pray for candy. When the candy did not appear, the commissar would hand each child a piece of candy, and intone "The STATE will provide..."

So while they may not have chanted "In the name of Atheism, I kill you" the effect was little different.

As for Charitable giving, I guess Bill Gates is shouldering the load for atheists everywhere. It requires organization to get the food, the clothing, the good works, to those in need. Since there is no atheistic organizations beyond loose intellectual "clubs", then I guess we leave it to the religions to do the actual hard work, unless we want inefficient or corrupt entities like the U.N. to do it. It's easy to dump a few $$ in a box somewhere, it is entirely another to get on an airplane and go build houses in poor, 3rd world nations. I have seen this probably 100+ times, and in every case, it was a religious organization doing this.

It's easy to blame wars on religion. The truth is, if you look at the true roots of war, 95% of the time, they are fought over resources, land, or ethnicity, all entirely removed from faith, or covered in a false mantle of faith.

US democracy has killed 100 million indians in the process of expansion. this is not counting the Koreans, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Latinos, Iraqis, Afghans and Africans butchered by the US war machine and slavery.

David Stannard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Stannard is of the opinion that the indigenous peoples of America (including Hawaii)[1] were the victims of a "Euro-American genocidal war."[2] While conceding that the majority of the indigenous peoples fell victim to the ravages of European disease, he estimates that almost 100 million died in what he calls the American Holocaust.[3] Stannard's perspective has been joined by Kirkpatrick Sale, Ben Kiernan, Lenore A. Stiffarm, and Phil Lane, Jr., among others; the perspective has been further refined by Ward Churchill, who has said "it was precisely malice, not nature, that did the deed."[2]"

However he has been criticized for...

"Stannard's claim of 100 million deaths has been challenged because he does not cite any demographic evidence to support this number, and because he makes no distinction between death from violence and death from disease."[4]

Which is the exact same problem that western demographers and economists use to estimate deaths in China, as census data is not avaliable for the era 1959-1962 (no demographic data in support of their conclusion; next census held in 1964, shows population increase since 1954, data contradicts western conclusion) and they do not distinguish between victims of violence, and victims of starvation/disease.

If you discredit his 100 million, logically, because the exact same faults are present within western methodologies of estimates of Chinese deaths, then you must also discredit the western theories of Chinese deaths.

And if you are truly not sure, can I just ask, how do you propose they measured the number of deaths when they had no access to relevant data, or when the data contradicts their findings?

also, on the topic of poverty and death: how many americans starved to death during the Great Depression? 7 million vanished off the census, yet no US historians talk about this.

US democracy has killed 100 million indians in the process of expansion. this is not counting the Koreans, Vietnamese, Filipinos, Latinos, Iraqis, Afghans and Africans butchered by the US war machine and slavery.
US democracy...Hmmm...May be we should start singling out Vietnamese communism, Chinese communism, Polish communism, German communism, Russian communism, Soviet communism, Korean communism...and so on...Wonder how many deaths can we attribute in that 20th century. What a sorry attempt to rehabilitate the most bloody and murderous political system the modern world has seen.

Estimates of the Pre-columbian native population of both North and South hemispheres range from 20 million to an absolute extreme of 100 million. If we had utterly eradicated that entire population, (which of course didn't happen) then the Spanish, English, French, Dutch, Portuguese, all entities before the United States shoulder probably 85% of that. "American Democracy" occupied a tiny slice of land before westward expansion. Were there abuses and broken treaties? No doubt. But to place these actions in the same light as the hell that Marxism/Leninism unleashed upon the world is like comparing mass murder with a neighborhood bully.

Most of the deaths (probably 95%) were from diseases, absolutely unforseen, and the popular "smallpox blanket" theory is little more than a conspiracy with no substance.

I will deal again with that which I am intimately familiar with. I fly commercially to central and South America extensively. We have teams of volunteers (almost always dressed in a T-shirt with a slogan, so they can identify each other) that spend their $$ and time to go to poverty-stricken areas, to deliver medicine, build houses, infrastructure, and teach agriculture.

I have yet to see a T-shirt that says "Agnostic Missions International" or "Atheists against hunger." They are usually "Southern Baptist Mission" and the like.

When a homeless person needs a hot meal and shelter in the winter in a cold city here, they find a Catholic Charity; probably because there are no organized atheist charities.

I'm not sure how the topic got derailed, but I'll try to refocus - the good, the fruits of faith, especially in this modern world, outweigh problems with organized religion. If someone is reading this is atheist/agnostic, and feels offended; sorry you got your feelings hurt. Welcome to the club. Believe it or not, people of faith, at least here in the U.S., are subject to open mockery and derision, all the while doing good for their fellow man.

"Agnostic Missions International" or "Atheists against hunger."
If someone is reading this is atheist/agnostic, and feels offended; sorry you got your feelings hurt. Welcome to the club.

You are stepping on the toes of an Admin Staff on this Board, Chogy -;)

Back
Top Bottom