What's new

Which air defense system should Turkey go for?

Which air defense system should Turkey finally go for?

• Total voters

usernameless

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
For non-Turkish voters; you are free to vote, but keep it reasonable and write down your argument.​

On the 30th of this month Turkey’s procurement agency, the Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM), will have to make a decision about the air defense tender, which has been delayed 3 times before. Turkey had its eyes on the Chinese system, but due circumstances this deal might not continue after all.

Which system should Turkey finally go for, and why?
Don't only look at the specs of the systems, but also factors such as ToT, Co-production, political/NATO pressure on Turkey etc.

Last edited:
is China the only country offering tech transfer ?

@usernameless

Mate, i voted but my question was a bit different... :D

I asked 'what will be the result'... Not 'which system should be'...

Anyways, let's go on...
yeah bro, but 'what will be the result' it's not in our, pdf guys', power to have an impact on the outcome, so i tried to make the sentence more suitable and changed to what system should Turkey (ssm) go for? maybe there was/is a miscommunication between us, sorry :angel:

yeah bro, but 'what will be the result' it's not in our, pdf guys', power to have an impact on the outcome, so i tried to make the sentence more suitable and changed to what system should Turkey (ssm) go for? maybe there was/is a miscommunication between us, sorry :angel:

Ok, my question was just for fun... :partay:

@usernameless can you add ASELSAN HİSAR-U to that list... This choice can change results of this poll... And can make this poll a bit harder for us... :D

None of the above,we dont need them now.We should try to develope an indigenous system,it would take 10 years maybe but we should be able to do it with some assistence from leading companies in this field.

IMO this system is an urgent need...

So if ASELSAN's delivery date is tolerable then we should go for ASELSAN HİSAR-U... If not we should go for FD-2000... In the end there is ToT and co-production...

BTW if FD -2000 deal won't be then we should go for ASELSAN HİSAR-U directly... Coz other 2 offers doesn't fulfill our request also negotiations will take too much and deliveries will be too late...

As far as I know, If Chinese deal fails, EuroSAM offers delivery of obsolete Aster-30 medium to long range SAM systems 5-7 years after signiture ceremony, While Aselsan foreseens development of first Hisar-U missiles to be joined into inventory within 7 years. Aselsan targets development of long range Hisar-U missiles to be an equivalent of PAC-3+, not Aster-30...

Aster-30 is a missile like Booster+Hisar-O concept of Aster-15 and has quite limited capabilities. That's why Europe is planning to establish their aerial protection infastructure based on USA missile defence systems...

Last edited:
imo we should go for the one that gives us ToT and/or co-production, but if behind the scene pressure is too much that might harm our country's industries, then we should directly go for own system instead of wasting money on short term solutions. Or what about if Turkey wants to play safe and budgets allow, maybe SSM could choose Eurosam or Patriot one as short term solution and start indigenous system at the same time?

We should have gone for a domestic solution....or THAAD.. nothing else other than that.

As far as I know, If Chinese deal fails, EuroSAM offers delivery of obsolete Aster-30 medium to long range SAM systems 5-7 years after signiture ceremony, While Aselsan foreseens development of first Hisar-U missiles to be joined into inventory within 7 years. Aselsan targets development of long range Hisar-U missiles to be an equivalent of PAC-3+, not Aster-30...
sorry for the newbie question, but why does the delivery of an existing obsolete system take 5-7 years?

Back
Top Bottom