What's new

why RBE2 aesa radar was the safest bet for india in MMRCA evaluations

Thinds have changed since Modi won office.....the F-18 being the surperior Fighter should re considered ASAP

First thanks for great effort
I have question about swashplate....
swashplate increase rcs of the plane...is that right?? and why??

HI SANCHO

i have posted the link of RBE 2 pesa radar detection range in my thread

No, you have posted the estimtaed range for the early AESA, which would be around 140Km converted from the 75nm:

AESA Radar

While the first 100 or so Rafales were fitted with the early Thales RBE2 radar, the most important sensor of the next generation Rafale will be the new Thales RBE2 AA active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, which will replace the passive array of the RBE2...
In air-to-air mode, the RBE2 gives a tracking range beyond 60 nautical miles against a 30-square-foot target, with detection ranges up to 75 nautical miles. The radar can track and prioritize up to 40 targets simultaneously and engage up to eight with Mica, and soon Meteor, air-to-air missiles.

The whole part is about the new AESA, not the PESA, which is also evident by the relation to Meteor, which will be integrated only with the AESA and that is the early estimate of around 50% increase compared to the PESA. The recent evaluation talks about 100% increase, which also makes clear why around 140Km can't be for the PESA, since that would mean the latest AESA would have a range of 280Km, which is more than unrealistic for such a small radar.

well i am not defending myself
it is impossible for anyone to post 100 % accurate info about those aesa radars which only an airforce professional can only know

CHEERS

Yes Dr. I can understand because we can do comparisons with available information and in some cases some info we get through reliable personal resources !!! Any ways it's a good effort I appreciate it.

Please don't Troll !!! It's a nice and informative thread.

Please don't accuse me of trolling. There was nothing in my post to suggest so. If you read the thread, the author even admits the F-18 is superior, then uses some DOD report that is not verified

Please don't accuse me of trolling. There was nothing in my post to suggest so. If you read the thread, the author even admits the F-18 is superior, then uses some DOD report that is not verified
yes f18s radar is better but nothing else. and superior radar is of no use for us if we are not offered tot of that.

yes f18s radar is better but nothing else. and superior radar is of no use for us if we are not offered tot of that.

The F 18 has better engines, better range, and the new version is comparable to the silent eagle version. Radar is the most significant or on par investment as weapons payload.

I brought it up because the US may be willing to agree to TOT

The F 18 has better engines, better range, and the new version is comparable to the silent eagle version. Radar is the most significant or on par investment as weapons payload.

The "superior" engines doesn't make the F18SH supercruise capable, nor even complying to the minimum flight performance requirements of IAF. The F18SH has inferior range and because radar it one of the most important parts, it's crucial for us to have a good AESA that allows us full operational freedom according to our needs, but the US even wanted to put restrictions on the use of LCA with US engines, which gives you an idea about the restrictions on using in their fighters and techs. If at all, the RBE 2 is slightly inferior in detection range, if the latest evaluations are true it might be even more than comparable to US radars in MMRCA.

The "superior" engines doesn't make the F18SH supercruise capable, nor even complying to the minimum flight performance requirements of IAF. The F18SH has inferior range and because radar it one of the most important parts, it's crucial for us to have a good AESA that allows us full operational freedom according to our needs, but the US even wanted to put restrictions on the use of LCA with US engines, which gives you an idea about the restrictions on using in their fighters and techs. If at all, the RBE 2 is slightly inferior in detection range, if the latest evaluations are true it might be even more than comparable to US radars in MMRCA.

Here's the latest evaluation from ausairpower and Carlo Kopp

for man who is a dead set anti F-18E/F activist - his epiphany is a tribute to the F-18 - especially where he says that the F-18 will be a formidable opponent even against the Su-27/30 family.

He still opposes the "decision" to buy a stop gap filler - but then the analysis is excellent and apparently any attempt to use this article as an "endorsement" of the F-18E/F is a
intentional and mischievous misrepresentation.

http://www.ausairpower.net/SuperBug.html

Upgraded F/A-18 to begin test flights; offer Navy alternative to F-35C | Defense Tech

HI SANCHO

i have posted the link of RBE 2 pesa radar detection range in my thread
75 nm = how many km??
Google

you can do your maths buddy

my safest bet is around 170km /180km (imo)

CHEERS

Well though question is for sancho

the 1 mile = 1.6 km (wiki 1,609.344 meter)
and 1 Nautical mile = 1.8 (wiki 1.85200km)

so 75 NM = 75 x 1.8 = 135km (75 x 1.85 =138.75)

[adding one more calculation that how much far you can see from height

so If X = height
the equation is X x 3 / 2 = square root that answer and multiply with 1.6 to get answer in km.

so if 100 feet is height 100x3/2 = 150 ; the square root of 150 is 12.25 mile so multiply by 1.6 = 19.56 km;

so from 100 feet height you can see or camera or from planes you can see at 19.50 km away]

Last edited:
@Echo_419 I did not asked for opinion in first place, second It was not about Russians providing it or not. I only asked @DrSomnath999 about capabilities it will add n how potent it will make a JF-17 if a Raven or Zuke AESA is added? Just wanted a non biased opinion from Indian side. Not trolling.
i dont think jf 17 engine rd-93 can churn out enough power to power the aesa radars you mentioned...

@Echo_419 I did not asked for opinion in first place, second It was not about Russians providing it or not. I only asked @DrSomnath999 about capabilities it will add n how potent it will make a JF-17 if a Raven or Zuke AESA is added? Just wanted a non biased opinion from Indian side. Not trolling.

i dont think jf 17 engine rd-93 can churn out enough power to power the aesa radars you mentioned...

Back
Top Bottom