What's new

Why South Asians Are More Likely To Get Diabetes Than Europeans

Hate the Brits as much as you want but they developed the largest canal network in Punjab revolutionising food production in the region. If you actually look at the list of famines that struck South Asia during the colonial era, none of them took place in Pakistan (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_major_famines_in_India_during_British_rule, NOTE: only the eastern edges of Indian Punjab have been affected by famines including parts which aren't even Punjab proper like Delhi).

Of course the British did not develop the canal network out of charity. They probably wanted a steady source of food supply along the Raj's most volatile border where a large proportion of their military was stationed. Nevertheless the famine theory does not hold up here as just a cursory read on the canal colonies and famines geographic locations within South Asia shows.
Doesn't change the fact that the British committed crimes against humanity in South Asia.

Doesn't change the fact that the British committed crimes against humanity in South Asia.

No doubt, but the argument of famines is not true in our case. It's undoubtedly our dietary habits which don't reflect the move from agricultural to urbanized living, which are causing huge health problems.

You just have to watch any average south asian eat and you will understand why.

South Asians also have huge bellies which is an indication of poor diet and lack of exercise.

We have carb heavy diets. When we put on weight, we accumulate it mostly on our belly. I have observed this South Asian tendency among Native Americans too who have a history of eating tapioca, corn etc which were starch rich. Goras tend to put on weight more evenly. So you will rarely find fat goras with thin arms and thin legs. Belly fat accumulation then causes other problems like diabetes, liver problems etc.

We have carb heavy diets. When we put on weight, we accumulate it mostly on our belly. I have observed this South Asian tendency among Native Americans too who have a history of eating tapioca, corn etc which were starch rich. Goras tend to put on weight more evenly. So you will rarely find fat goras with thin arms and thin legs. Belly fat accumulation then causes other problems like diabetes, liver problems etc.
This is what I thought for a long time. But then, the other Asian cultures also have rice based diet. I now think that is not only what we eat, but also about what we do not eat that matters :unsure:

but also about what we do not eat that matters

Good point.
Maybe it is the ajinomoto :omghaha:
But yes, got to be certain things lacking. I can think of sea food (note that sea food eating communities in India are also pretty fit - Kerala, TN fishermen, Kolis etc and do not tend to get fat).

Mainay jitnay bhi motay dekhay hain unka face arms hand neck sab hi fat hota ha
Exactly my thoughts...
I think only fat from your belly is a myth, when you're fat you're fat -frim arms to waist, shoulders everywhere fat gathers

Even middle aged uncles aren't all just fat from belly, you usually see fat in other places too (as age goes it's not as proportional though- that's true)

Have you seen that orangey fat on the top when you put a meat curry into the fridge?

That stuff is going straight into your heart arteries when you consume red meat.

Never really got into fish.

Also, us south asians tend to be less physically active.

Never really got into fish.

Also, us south asians tend to be less physically active.

I really recommend you try many types of fish till you find one you like. There is bound to be one species you like!

Apart from certain types with high mercury content, fish is extremely good for you.

Currently I eat salmon a couple of times a week.

Lean meat is fine. But the fats, oil those are the killer.

Me at 41, Alhamdulillah I am lean and perform light exercise.

What I’ve learnt is to keep your insulin levels low. By that I mean, you have to fast intermittently. A decent breakfast, lunch (some days you eat and some days you skip) and dinner, and nothing in between except liquid. Keep carbs low, less oil, proteins high.

Out generics are screwed anyway.
Prone to heart diseases, diabetes and everything else

what do you expect in a country where people consider ghee a power (taqat) medicine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom