What's new

World Bank holds back its report on Pakistan poverty situation

PeacefulIndian

Reaction score
- World Bank holds back its report on Pakistan poverty situation

Sources said, the Finance Ministry and Planning Commission had shown some reservations over the World Bank's claims that poverty in Pakistan has gone up irrationally in the PPP rule against semi-military regime of Pervez Musharraf, when according to multinational donors like the World Bank itself, poverty in the country had declined substantially.

The WB report had substantial data to support its claims that poverty went irrationally up between 2008 and 2010 but the officials of Finance Ministry and Planning Commission showed their utmost anguish as to why the World Bank was showing upward trend in poverty in the PPP regime.

PPP came to power in 2008 and more than one international institutions have claimed that Pakistan has witnessed a sharp rise in poverty from 2008 to 2010.

They also mock the World Bank's claims that the government's poor performance on economic front has resulted in quick downfall in per capita income forcing a large number of Pakistanis to slip down from an average income group to below poverty line. The World Bank's report indicated that Pakistan is witnessing a troublesome phase on the economic front, as on one hand per capita income has shrunk while on the other inflation is getting out of control, thus adding to the woes of the common man.

According to sources, these claims of the World Bank irked the top government functionaries in the Finance and Planning Commission and they took the matter with the WB country office in Islamabad asking it not to release its report 2008 on poverty situation in Pakistan.

Its not PPP's fault in all honesty- there was a world wide crisis. employment and poverty went up in the US too! you can't put a once in almost 100 years financial collapse worldwide on one party to fix asap in 2 years.

But you at least expect them to not go to world bank in agony & ask not to publish the report.

I posted this since I found it interesting that countless numbers of Pakistani analysts here flaunted WB's previous report (that highlighted decreased poverty) to try & convince themselves that they were doing far better than India in at least that field. As ironical it is, while they were doing that their Govt was busy asking WB not to release the 'real statistics'.

I am not really trying to score any cheap points, but I do believe that Pakistani commentators here need to see the mirror themselves which is being shown to the Indian members every day, in every post about how poor India is & how we should we manage our spending.

no no your right to post this. I was just picking up on the point that PPP can be single handley responsible.

Back
Top Bottom