What's new

World leaders back one-China policy

Bussard Ramjet

Reaction score
Country
India
Trump says U.S. not necessarily bound by 'one China' policy

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump questioned whether the United States had to be bound by its longstanding position that Taiwan is part of "one China" and brushed aside Beijing's concerns about his decision to accept a phone call from Taiwan's president.

"I fully understand the 'one China policy,' but I don't know why we have to be bound by a 'one China policy' unless we make a deal with China having to do with other things, including trade," Trump said on an interview with Fox News Sunday.

The congratulatory call that Trump accepted from Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen was the first such contact with Taiwan by a U.S. president-elect or president since President Jimmy Carter switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979, acknowledging Taiwan as part of "one China."

Taiwan is one of China's most sensitive policy issues, and China generally lambastes any form of official contact by foreign governments with Taiwan's leaders.

In the Fox interview, Trump criticized China over its policies on issues such as currency, the South China Sea and North Korea and said it was not up to Beijing to decide whether he should take a call from Taiwan's leader.

"I don't want China dictating to me and this was a call put into me," Trump said. "It was a very nice call. Short. And why should some other nation be able to say I can't take a call?"

"I think it actually would've been very disrespectful, to be honest with you, not taking it," Trump added.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-china-idUSKBN1400TY?il=0

Mod Edit: President Trump is now backing the One China policy.
https://defence.pk/threads/world-leaders-back-one-china-policy.467358/page-7#post-9191106

Whatever he says becomes more and more of a joke around the world now, people start not to pay attention to his rattle anymore.

He's soon gonna be the president of the United States. You are seriously delusioned if you think that what he says is a joke anymore. It may have been earlier, but no more.

classic Trump... On some level questioning our basic assumptions on what is good and what is bad policy is a good thing... not in public though...

He's soon gonna be the president of the United States. You are seriously delusioned if you think that what he says is a joke anymore. It may have been earlier, but no more.
He always send mixed messages that no one knows what's really in his mind. a couple of days ago he said the single most important relationship to US is China which must improve,but how?

I don't personally believe that he will build a wall all long the US Mexico border and send all immigrants back home. Going back on one China policy means a total cut off of US China diplomatic relations and undo what President Nixon did 4 decades ago, how much I should bet on this?

One China policy is simple, and agreed upon by both the PRC and the ROC.

You can only recognize one. And when you choose one, you have to break off all recognition of the other one.

I don't see US embassy to China, which is the biggest in the world, is about to shut down and all the employees are packing up and ready to go home.

As long he doesn't make it official like the abandoning of TPP, it's only a waste of time listening to this guy

Going back on one China policy means a total cut off of US China diplomatic relations and undo what President Nixon did 4 decades ago, how much I should bet on this?
None. To 'undo' what Nixon did would require the same US-China political and economic environment as that time, and we know that is not how it is today.

That does not mean China cannot protest diplomatically, but the reality, as have been pointed out, Taiwan is de facto an independent entity regardless of how much China can protest otherwise.

What can China do if the US, under Trump, decides to recognize Taiwan -- de jure -- and grant the country all commensurate political and diplomatic rights ?

A complete severance of political and economic ties is not feasible, and we all know that, no matter how much rhetoric the PDF Chinese can spew.

A military response towards Taiwan is also not desirable in the long run if China want to have a military. China does not have a viable amphibious assault force and any attempt to create such a force -- haphazardly -- will end up with that force decimated in that span of water between the two sides.

China may be rising -- economically and politically -- in the world, but the US is still the power -- economically and politically -- to reckon with. If the US, under Trump, decides to put Taiwan on the same political status as China, have no doubts that many other countries, especially the ones that have some relationships with Taiwan, will follow the US. Their reasoning will be the same: 'Why not ?'

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom