What's new

WSJ: India Graduates Millions, but Too Few Are Fit to Hire

Funny to see some fools trying to act racist who are themselves looked down upon by many!

I would not stoop to the level of these bananas and say bad words about all Chinese. I know there are many decent ones, these opium addict dimwit bananas don't define all Chinese.

LOL, I would rather be an opium addict banana than a stinky coconut.

Maybe it is sterotype things in my mind that make me believe Indian averagely good in something so forth.Just like invention of Arabic numerals must lead to be excel in software programing.

Exactly ! :tup:

Sterotype, that's exactly the point I was making.

Most things on main stream media (both western and most likely Chinese) regarding India / Indians are sterotypes/propaganda.

This WSJ article is a rare exception that speaks some truths.

The way how you raised GMAT issue tells the state of your Maths ( and analytical) skills in my book.

I learned this word "GMAT" not long ago here in PDF. I had never heard about it before.

Average GMAT Maths score doesn't count, because it has self-selection bias inbedded in the sampling:

Not every joe in India takes GMAT Maths test, only the best, at least significantly above average ones, take it.

This is because the ones who take the test have (rightly to be) self-confidence trying to enroll into a US uni - this tells their average statue among their indigenous population there in India.

Hence that some "good apples" are good after all at GMAT Maths doesn't reflect their average whole basket of "apples" at home.

I almost can bet that India's average GMAT score is probabaly even higher than that of Netherlands and Belgium, or Germany ( these countries are centered around Top 10 in PISA Maths world ranking and definitely WAY above that of India).

Why this contradiction then?

It's because here in Holland( Belgium, Germany) , the best studs usually don't go to the US for uni, but staty here at home for home-grown technical/economic/medical schools , for example, I had never heard of GMAT before. Those who took GMAT Maths and went to US to study are usually average studs here, centainly not top tier in most cases. This contracts with India where GMAT-takers are usually among the best of the crop.

So GMAT scores are biased and can not be counted as "stats" to showcase that Indians are good at Maths.

On the contary, PISA Maths scores do count, as PISA has no self-selection problem as random sampling decides that every school kids concerned are tested and counted.

The exactly same reason applies to examples/stats of how Indians in America or in the UK blah blah....

ADDITION:

In fact, despite of the fact that there're many Indians who are good at Maths ( due to its large population base where even 0.00001% of 1.2 billion are a lot! ) , there is sufficient theoritical basis to suggest that average Indians are not only NOT good at maths, but also Bad at Maths - significantly worse ( about 2 standard deviations below) than the averages of Europeans and East Asians.

there is the same problem here. My relatives near my age have backgrounds anywhere from Physics to Mechanical Engineering to Biochemistry, and all don't have good jobs. Ironically, the one with physics is doing best as process engineer at SMIC while the mechanical engineering one was assembling phones until a few years ago when he went into software, and the biochemistry one just graduated.

I suspect it is due to having too much theoretical, computational and modeling emphasis in the classes, and not enough real life experimentation. This is unavoidable though, as we do not have sufficient instrumentation so we have to play to our strengths in quantitative analysis instead of experimental analysis.

there is the same problem here. My relatives near my age have backgrounds anywhere from Physics to Mechanical Engineering to Biochemistry, and all don't have good jobs. Ironically, the one with physics is doing best as process engineer at SMIC while the mechanical engineering one was assembling phones until a few years ago when he went into software, and the biochemistry one just graduated.

I suspect it is due to having too much theoretical, computational and modeling emphasis in the classes, and not enough real life experimentation. This is unavoidable though, as we do not have sufficient instrumentation so we have to play to our strengths in quantitative analysis instead of experimental analysis.
Sure,same in China.Now there are many students graduated from universities low down to study in vocational colleges for practice.

Wall Street Journal Flawed Miracle Series on India

BANGALORE, India—Call-center ...............
"If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys," says Vijay Thadani, chief executive of New Delhi-based NIIT Ltd. India,

Who is this @ss Vijay Thadani anyway? Had his father been an average Indian with the means and the resources of the average Indian, he would have been able to afford only peanuts and so Mr Vijay Madani would be a monkey today hopping from branch to branch and tree to tree( which he may still be be doing btw). He was fortunate that his father could afford 'badaam' instead of 'moongfali'. We are not a nation of badaam eaters. All Indians can not afford Harvard. How many Americans can?
The cost of education in India can't be pitched at a level where 99% Indians can't afford it. If the Indian companies can't find enough qualified Indians to fill all jobs, why don't they run/subsidise colleges and institutes to train Indians in the required skills? No, they will never do that as they are the beneficiaries of the Indian education system. They recruit Indians who were educated in inexpensive Indian colleges and universities and they pay them salaries which are a fraction of what would be paid in the west.

Your goods and services sell only as long as their retail prices are low and that is possible only as long as their manufacturing cost is low. That is the reason these businesses moved to India in the first place. Have we forgotten all that basic economics?

If Indian companies wish to hire from Philippines or South America, let them. The GOI should cancel their license. Let them shift their base to other countries.

We do not want an elitist education policy. We can't afford an elitist education. Those who can, are welcome to migrate to greener pastures and call the land of their ancestors as the land of monkeys. We will forgive them.

Getting a resource with right skill is difficult anywhere, not only in India. Specifically to IT services(which the article focuses on), it is very difficult to get a proper resource in UK and US too. To add to the problem, Indian IT companies are hiring in huge numbers.
For fresh graduates, industry has to give training. I dont understand why the IT companies are crying when they use fresher as apprentice, and pay them very low salary(nothing wrong with that) compared to a 2 year experience guy.
I agree that engineering graduates should have better soft skill.
Rest about BPO jobs, they will never get good people. It has already been mentioned above.

Sure,same in China.Now there are many students graduated from universities low down to study in vocational colleges for practice.
The labor market does not care what degrees you have. When the American economy has a recession, and there were many of them, there were no shortages of PhD candidates working unloading boxes at the warehouse or living on the dole. A high quality university system can churn out high quality graduates year after year but if the industries cannot support the degrees they carries with them, they will end up doing labor unrelated to their degrees. You cannot force companies, whether they are in a rising economy or in a recession, to create jobs to satisfy people's egos.

^^ But you don't know in India so called universities are occasionally located in slums... and graduates do not have birth certificates!
I had the fortune to engage with Indians closely in UAE and indians get their degrees posted to them.

^^^ We all know what you are Mr Batman. You don't have to reinforce our belief again and again. There are no Indian universities located in any slum. Just show me one.

Degrees are always handed over in person during the convocation ceremony and for those who for some reason can't attend this event, get it mailed to them. That does not mean that they did not earn that degree. Obviously, your friends in Dubai were good enough to land their jobs without their degrees. Maybe on the basis of their mark sheets which are handed over immediately on the completion of a university course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom