What's new

50% Pakistanis remain food insecure: WFP

The problem as pointed out in the article is not food scarcity, rather lack of access or inability to buy the right kind of food. Reasons are many; primarily displacement of large number of people due to floods and military operations in FATA. Then there is also rising inflation which means basic food items simply cost too much. But growing population is no doubt a cause of concern in terms of food security, if not now then for the near future.

Better management and economic policies along with awareness among the people on the importance of nutrition appear to be the answer.

We have a similar problem in India, its mainly inefficient logistics for distribution of food.

that ends up with a wastage of 72% of the fruits and vegetable,

72 percent of India's fruit, vegetable produce goes waste

affecting the farmer's income.

The problem as pointed out in the article is not food scarcity, rather lack of access or inability to buy the right kind of food. Reasons are many; primarily displacement of large number of people due to floods and military operations in FATA. Then there is also rising inflation which means basic food items simply cost too much. But growing population is no doubt a cause of concern in terms of food security, if not now then for the near future.

Better management and economic policies along with awareness among the people on the importance of nutrition appear to be the answer.

Sir with due respect, all the distribution ills and inabilities to buy right food will grow as population grow.. So unhindered growth of the population is a main reason to worry in our region.. We are running out of ideas & resources to what to buy and corruption is not helping either.

Pakistan have any running schemes for children ??

I am not aware of any official scheme for children. However, there are NGOs which are working in this sector. The Govt. has this scheme, called BISP [Bemazir Income Support Program] for low-income house-holds, where monthly installments are paid. Also, they have another similar scheme for the flood victims.

In India we do have such schemes but as the fate has it for us, all us schemes are corruption marred but still some kids in certain areas are getting benefited where real considerate people are involved.

Don't know much about what's happening at ground level in Pakistan.. I sincerely hope nobody is exploiting them for this very basic need of theirs.. Empty stomach is the root cause of many ills in the society..

its a huge success, the mid day meal scheme for government school children was first introduced in TN and now in many states, the scheme has helped many kids to attend school. Also free education for all kids, bicycles, books, laptops everything is helping in encouraging kids to remain in school.

ALARMING... Mismanagement is the route cause of all the problems, the article clearly states that PAK have the resources, but lack capacity to cater to this problem. If i'm not wrong Pakistan is the fifth largest milk producer in world & we still got 50% people food insecure ... Shame ...

its a huge success, the mid day meal scheme for government school children was first introduced in TN and now in many states, the scheme has helped many kids to attend school. Also free education for all kids, bicycles, books, laptops everything is helping in encouraging kids to remain in school.

agree with you... I think mid day meal scheme is in all states of India... right?

Effective public distribution system and improving the farm produce are the only solutions.

But Pakistan has its share of corrupt and manipulative people in key places just like we have it here , who makes sure that their pockets get filled and the benefit, whatever is given to the poor are not utilized to their potential.

Its a subcontinent mindset issue.

Whatever subsidies , grands to research, loans that's been supposed to help farmers have never been used in India.

I guess its same in Pakistan too.

But unlike India, Pakistan has a few more of issues to tackle ..like say natural calamities or bad disaster management, social issues, economy woes, power and fuel issues.( India has same but its a temporary thing as most states still depend on Hydro power and summer supplies are affected).

There is no fool proof solution for this issue in the subcontinent. It depends on a lot of other factors.

First of all take a good grant from some lending agency and start some scheme which guarantees assured jobs for normal people in rural areas thereby easing their life pressures. ( yes lending is suicidal, but better than messing with ppl's lives.).

As I said, it's success is limited to regions.. If you really want to measure it's success go to out of sight rural areas (like a village in Maoist controlled areas or in any Bimaru states).. I hope things are improving there as well..

We have a similar problem in India, its mainly inefficient logistics for distribution of food.

Thanks for the stats - this is a horrible fact. We have people short of the basics in life and our politicos corruptus eunochs cant organize the distribution of food that ends up as wastage? They should bury their heads in shame - shame on these donkeys

Sir with due respect, all the distribution ills and inabilities to buy right food will grow as population grow.. So unhindered growth of the population is a main reason to worry in our region.. We are running out of ideas & resources to what to buy and corruption is not helping either.

I agree with you on that point my dear. If this is the situation when there is enough food, we can only imagine what will happen in the near future when demand outgrows supply !

Effective public distribution system and improving the farm produce are the only solutions.

But Pakistan has its share of corrupt and manipulative people in key places just like we have it here , who makes sure that their pockets get filled and the benefit, whatever is given to the poor are not utilized to their potential.

Its a subcontinent mindset issue.

Whatever subsidies , grands to research, loans that's been supposed to help farmers have never been used in India.

I guess its same in Pakistan too.

But unlike India, Pakistan has a few more of issues to tackle ..like say natural calamities or bad disaster management, social issues, economy woes, power and fuel issues.( India has same but its a temporary thing as most states still depend on Hydro power and summer supplies are affected).

There is no fool proof solution for this issue in the subcontinent. It depends on a lot of other factors.

First of all take a good grant from some lending agency and start some scheme which guarantees assured jobs for normal people in rural areas thereby easing their life pressures. ( yes lending is suicidal, but better than messing with ppl's lives.).

you summed it up sparky... :tup:

We dont have good food processing plants that reaches the length and breadth of nation.

If we dont act well, i dont know where we will end up.

i am posting the budget allocation of India just for sharing the info:

budget2-enlarge_031712122759.gif

I agree with you on that point my dear. If this is the situation when there is enough food, we can only imagine what will happen in the near future when demand outgrows supply !

Don't know about Pakistan but in India we are wasting 72% of what we grow.. That is a big shame!! I think most of this stock goes to waste because of Kalabazaari of few arseholes.. Can we declare war against them?

It's not that we do not have resources to build a better storage network but any betterment in this area will hit pockets of few of the riches of the riches..

As I said, it's success is limited to regions.. If you really want to measure it's success go to out of sight rural areas (like a village in Maoist controlled areas or in any Bimaru states).. I hope things are improving there as well..
ng
Recovering territory back from maoists and naxals is a complex process, we need to reduce their support among tribal and poor people by giving them opportunities and education. The naxals gain control by misleading common people and also by inducing fear, this support group has to be weaned away first. then comes rebuilding these areas and bringing in development there. Its a slow process and on track.

Back
Top Bottom