What's new

Bangladesh General Election : 2018

Isn't if funny how the Pakistanis claim all the time they don't care about Bangladesh and moved on but they are so concerned about our election. Why do you care if it's fair or unfair election? They are obsessed about BD.
Because Pakistani awam still loves Bangladesh.This is a fact.You are still our blood and we want to see good politicians steering Bangladesh's government.

Best of luck

Remember in FPTP system, you dont even need to rig that much since 5 - 10% vote advantage is more than enough generally.
Yes that's a case ! But is it possible in Presidential form too? If not then may be a presidetial form can work better here? What say you @Nilgiri

Yes that is a case though . Indeed it was rigged I know , as I already said before the election . Never even able to think that BNP will be vanished in this process !I expected a new and better BNP under the leadership of Mirza fakhrul Islam Alamgir:hitwall:

Well looks like BAL had other ideas...and want to fully destroy BNP chance altogether as they see it in the mid and even long term. BNP will have to basically go underground and consolidate there and wait out Hasina it looks like.

I mean 3 seats? seriously?...after all the BCL street thugs and what they did so openly? That in itself tells what this election is....and that BAL doesnt care how rigged it looks.

Well looks like BAL had other ideas...and want to fully destroy BNP chance altogether as they see it in the mid and even long term. BNP will have to basically go underground and consolidate there and wait out Hasina it looks like.

I mean 3 seats? seriously?...after all the BCL street thugs and what they did so openly? That in itself tells what this election is....and that BAL doesnt care how rigged it looks.
Now in 294 seat , grand alliance got 285 , and oikkofront got 8 only ( bnp is 6 in it ) , and other is one . Jatiya party of grand alliance got 22 seat i saw last time . Now not sure if it increased or not ! But total seat of AL alliance is 285 in 294 . It's unofficial though still official will be the same .
@Nilgiri

Yes that's a case ! But is it possible in Presidential form too? If not then may be a presidetial form can work better here? What say you @Nilgiri

It is somewhat harder to do in presidential system where there is a runoff process if no one gets more than 50%....but I would need to see the district by district results of BD to see if it would make any major difference....given there is just effectively a A vs B scenario much like US....but unlike say France where its often A v B v C v D etc in the initial rounds.

Besides even in a multi-party presidential system, eventually you do get effectively a FPTP system anyway when you have the final round of A v B....so probably will not matter a whole deal if you have rigging in place and bad institutions (that deliver the result you want rather than what the people want).

In the end the system choice (presidential vs parliamentary) in place doesn't matter all that much to this discussion (it is a higher level one once you have achieved credibility in one format)...what really matters is the institutional crediblity (the guys running/over-seeing the whole election in neutral fashion...and also quality of your courts to handle post-election litigations neutrally etc)

@Vergennes @Joe Shearer @hellfire @jbgt90 @Levina @nair @M. Sarmad @Indus Pakistan @waz @Hamartia Antidote @VCheng

It is somewhat harder to do in presidential system where there is a runoff process if no one gets more than 50%....but I would need to see the district by district results of BD to see if it would make any major difference....given there is just effectively a A vs B scenario much like US....but unlike say France where its often A v B v C v D etc in the initial rounds.

Besides even in a multi-party presidential system, eventually you do get effectively a FPTP system anyway when you have the final round of A v B....so probably will not matter a whole deal if you have rigging in place and bad institutions (that deliver the result you want rather than what the people want).

In the end the system choice (presidential vs parliamentary) in place doesn't matter all that much to this discussion (it is a higher level one once you have achieved credibility in one format)...what really matters is the institutional crediblity (the guys running/over-seeing the whole election in neutral fashion...and also quality of your courts to handle post-election litigations neutrally etc)

@Vergennes @Joe Shearer @hellfire @jbgt90 @Levina @nair @M. Sarmad @Indus Pakistan @waz @Hamartia Antidote @VCheng
Masrafe murtaza won election with a lead of 1.6 million and bnp candidate was able to get 22k votes:lol:

Now in 294 seat , grand alliance got 285 , and oikkofront got 8 only ( bnp is 6 in it ) , and other is one . Jatiya party of grand alliance got 22 seat i saw last time . Now not sure if it increased or not ! But total seat of AL alliance is 285 in 294 . It's unofficial though still official will be the same .
@Nilgiri

Yeah BNP getting anything less than a third of the seats (even with BAL rigging) is a really large scale of electioneering doo-doo (and somewhat not anticipated..but I think BAL is going for some "finishing" move long term here)....given the anti-incumbency I have seen even here + news articles... (much less talking to BD ppl outside here).

On my, what a great comment, one that is generally applicable in many other instances too. Once particular scourge of all of South Asia (if I may dare to generalize) is the tendency of the people of bowing to personalities instead of properly functioning institutions, and of the leaders to create cult followings instead of creating and strengthening institutions for their own egos.

I don't really agree.

It isn't possible to 'do' the British parliamentary system, intermingled as it is with the Cabinet system as it is, the way the Presidential system works; the two are not at all comparable. Maybe some other day, not today, shot through with annoyances (outside PDF) and entanglements as it is, and it being half past three.

Masrafe murtaza won election with a lead of 1.6 million and bnp candidate was able to get 22k votes:lol:

Is mortaza running as independent? I wish him well, hes a good solid humble chap....one of few BD cricketers I really admire.

Is mortaza running as independent? I wish him well, hes a good solid humble chap....one of few BD cricketers I really admire.
On awami party ticket..
Btw imagine getting 1.6 million votes

I don't really agree.

It isn't possible to 'do' the British parliamentary system, intermingled as it is with the Cabinet system as it is, the way the Presidential system works; the two are not at all comparable. Maybe some other day, not today, shot through with annoyances (outside PDF) and entanglements as it is, and it being half past three.

I'm talking more about vote rigging potential at the root (not being all that relevant to the choice of presidential vs parliamentary)....rather than the higher level discussion of how the actual (elected) govt then functions (in accordance with the electorate's desires etc)....the latter is a really long conversation we would have to have...I am sure some ppl would enjoy watching us have it....but not all that many :P

On awami party ticket..
Btw imagine getting 1.6 million votes

Yeah anything winning more than 80% of a constituency's votes tends to not pass muster for my 1st-sniff test....and you are telling me something like 99% was won lol (I get the chap is popular and all, but cmon!)

Yeah anything winning more than 80% of a constituency's votes tends to not pass muster for my 1st-sniff test....and you are telling me something like 99% was won lol (I get the chap is popular and all, but cmon!)
Man u know what I think bd is one party country now.

Back
Top Bottom