What's new

Bangladesh minister pushes for liquor tax cut to boost tourism

What I don’t understand is why they feel the need to insult other countries in order to prop up there’s? Let’s face it, banglerdash isn’t on anyone’s bucket list. Your aren’t ever going to get tourist in an appreciable amount when they can go to India instead.
I believe you are from the rapistan of earth! I know you guys are not properly civilized! But, on internet try to act like civilized one.

Try to spell Bangladesh properly...

So practically from 1947 to 1990 we did not move a single inch forward. Thats the fact
Do not just lie and give an excuse. In reality, the progress during the 23 years of Pakistan time was much above the progress BD made during the first 23 years of its separate journey in 1971. I am not here to name everything but search for yourself. Even Motijheel and your BIMAN head office there were built in Pakistan time.

Do not just lie and give an excuse. In reality, the progress during the 23 years of Pakistan time was much above the progress BD made during the first 23 years of its separate journey in 1971. I am not here to name everything but search for yourself. Even Motijheel and your BIMAN head office there were built in Pakistan time.
BD did decent during Zia's time and Ershad's early days. Also many activities were initiated during Ayub Khan's time. But BD lagged behind compared to the western wing. War and Mujib's era pushed BD back a lot. So, it isn't that far off to say BD wasn't much better off in 1976 than it was in 1947.

What you are positing is the common intellectual notion that Prakrit was some type of derived half-breed Sanskrit.

I will respectfully disagree with this and call this accepted notion among Hindi-speaking scholars to be erroneous.

Please see post no. 129 above by @Centaur bhai which describes how Bengali scholars such as Pinaki Bhattacharya and Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah of the 19th and 20th century refuted this erroneous notion.

"What is the origin of Bengali language?

Bangla language does not originate from Sanskrit language in any way. Sanskrit is a different language. However, since Bengali and Sanskrit have emerged from the same language, these Sanskrit-related languages are said to be near relatives of Bengali.

Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah has said that birth of languages are not like the birth of a person, that the history of those births can not be identified in specifics in the long run. Languages flow like rivers. When the character of the language changes from the flow of the previous language , it is named differently. So, today what we know as Bangla language, we must know exactly its earlier exact form. Then we can also know what the previous forms of that were, in this way we can reach the source of the language.

The language that existed before the Bengali language was that of Gaudiya Apa-bhramsa. The origin episode of this language can be traced sometime before 500th century AD. This Gaudiya Apa-bhramsa was the origin and mother of Maithili, Oriya and Banga Kamarupa languages. The latter (Banga Kamarupa) was the origin of modern Bangla and Assamese languages.

Gaudiya Prakrit preceded the existence of the Gaudiya Apa-bhramsa and dates back at least to 200 AD. Prachya Prakrit preceded Gaudiya Prakrit and can be traced back to 500 BC. Gautam Buddha spoke in this language. Prachya Prakrit is the origin of the modern Sinhalese language.

At the same time, a racial mixture occurred with Aryans coming from West with the Bengali Kohl settlers. We received the 'Haldi' event of our Bengali wedding tradition from this Bengali Kohl culture. In Kohl culture, there was a tradition of applying Sindoor on foreheads of married women. Kohls were huge fish eaters and the Bengali fish eating habits come from that tradition.

'Chawal', 'Larhai' (battle), 'Dhaal' (shield), 'Donga' (dugout canoe), 'Badshee' (fishing whip), 'Boka' (foolish), 'Kana' (blind), 'Mota' (thick, overweight) these are Kohl words that found later use in Bangla. Words such as Dhak-dhol, Golmaal, dhoomdham, chhuri-turi, boka-shoka, etc. all are traced back to Kohl ancient usage.

Prior to ancient Prachya Prakrit, there was an ancient Aryan spoken (casual or non-formal) language. Prachya Prakrit and Sanskrit both descended from this ancient Aryan spoken language.

Sanskrit
was the language of aristocrats. That language was used for special needs such as in temples, royal edicts etc. Sanskrit was not a casual spoken language.

In Ramayana, when Hanuman saw Sita in captivity, he considered what language he will speak with her, thinking, "If I say Sanskrit words like two-origin people, then Sita will be afraid of me thinking I am Ravana, therefore I must speak meaningful human words, otherwise I cannot convince and reassure Sita. "

These "human words and sentences" Hanuman refers to are ancient Indian Aryans casual spoken languages.

Seeing how ancient languages were spoken previously, and comparing them to today's Bangla spoken language can prove how similar Sanskrit was to Bangla or if (how some say) Bangla was derived from Sanskrit. In that sense Bengali has almost nothing in common with Sanskrit.

As in today's Bangla we say "Tumi Aacho", it is "Tumhe Aachoh" in ancient Bengali, "Tumhe Achhhoh" in the Middle Prakrit and "Tumhe Ochhoth" in the Prachya Prakrit; See the connection with the previous languages.

In contrast the the equivalent of ""Tumi Aacho"" in Sanskrit is "Yue-Yung Sthaw". There is neither a match nor any connection here. Is there any coincidence? Not there. Then, if some are pushing the idea that Bangla is the son of Sanskrit - what can be said?

Sanskrit scholars offered the erroneous idea that Bengali is some lower class form of Sanskrit. This had quite a bit of legitimate subscription in the scholar community in India. Today with research, this notion has been mostly debunked.

From the attached table, you can see this idea briefly. And clearly understand that Bengali and Sanskrit are two children of the same language, but in no way is Bengali a child form of Sanskrit."

fb_img_1530937358880-jpg.484755
Thanks @Bilal9 bhai for the translation of this status. now non Bengali guys also can learn.
Although peoples are using pre conceived flawed argument based on Sanskrit pondit theory, but in reality those Sanskrit pondits were hijacker of Bengali.
Once noise of bird ( পাখির কিচির মিচির) now became their daughter language.
This is the reason I hate Indian culture extremely.
Because almost none of their own but all are hijacked.
Even the aryan concept isn't their own too as we all know that Aryans were migrated to India from somewhere in central Asia via Iran
Here and Here is some writing on aryan homeland .
You also can find here the similarities between avestan language and Vedic Sanskrit.
So now if sanghis attack, maybe this site will be helpful .
This site is full of information about Aryans.

Last edited:
YOu have data from world bank which gives you per capita income in constant dollar.

Few buildings here and there does not matter. My grandfather never came to Dhaka to see your Ayub Khan's magnifico but what he used to say, british era was far better for his business than PK era and PK era was better than BD era. He died in early 80s though. He did politics for Fazlul Haque and Sohrwardy and was a very intellegent man and was a harsh critics of nationalization of BAKSAL despite being an Awami Leaguer for his entire life. Its just a personal experience that I heard from a old guy who saw it all along.

I used to think him a nostalgic man until I read and studied world bank data.

I asked my fathers experience on the same subject few days ago and what he said that in his entire 78 years of age, it was almost constant for Bangladesh until for the last 20 years which he never thought he could had seen before his death.

I did not see how it was in Pakistan or in British time but I can always ask.

Last edited:
YOu have data from world bank which gives you per capita income in constant dollar.

Few buildings here and there does not matter. My grandfather never came to Dhaka to see your Ayub Khan's magnifico but what he used to say, british era was far better for his business than PK era and PK era was better than BD era. He died in early 80s though. He did politics for Fazlul Haque and Sohrwardy and was a very intellegent man and was a harsh critics of nationalization of BAKSAL despite being an Awami Leaguer for his entire life. Its just a personal experience that I heard from a old guy who saw it all along.

I used to think him a nostalgic man until I read and studied world bank data.

I asked my fathers experience on the same subject few days ago and what he said that in his entire 78 years of age, it was almost constant for Bangladesh until for the last 20 years which he never thought he could had seen before his death.

I did not see how it was in Pakistan or in British time but I can always ask.
Who can contest your great observation and the comments by your grandfather? Everyone is nostalgic when old and talk about nice days in the past. I have no more comments only that we should stop giving lame excuses for our development unsuccess even when 46 years have already passed after 1971. Cheers!!!

Last edited:
Just saying, my disagreement is not associated with the origins of Bengali language. It may or may not be ancient.

What you are positing is the common intellectual notion that Prakrit was some type of derived half-breed Sanskrit.

I will respectfully disagree with this and call this accepted notion among Hindi-speaking scholars to be erroneous.
It's just the fact. Before I explain how, let me give you the level of these authors whom you quoted. I don't have a PhD or anything, but since I'm a brahmin and have read the Samaveda and Yajurveda I think I'm qualified enough to answer these questions regarding Sanskrit and other Pali - Prakrit languages.
Bangla language does not originate from Sanskrit language in any way. Sanskrit is a different language.
I can't comment on this part because I don't know Bengali.
Sanskrit is a different language. However, since Bengali and Sanskrit have emerged from the same language,
That's totally wrong. Sanskrit evolved from Sanskrit itself. The Sanskrit that's used now is the Sanskrit Panini grammaticalized. Only that it's made simpler unlike the one in Vedas. He is totally wrong to call Sanskrit originated from some other language which shares a common origin with Bengali. Also, the influence of Sanskrit in Bengali is not my forte.
Gaudiya Prakrit preceded the existence of the Gaudiya Apa-bhramsa and dates back at least to 200 AD. Prachya Prakrit preceded Gaudiya Prakrit and can be traced back to 500 BC. Gautam Buddha spoke in this language. Prachya Prakrit is the origin of the modern Sinhalese language.
It's debatable, as far as the evidence goes Buddha never spoke Prakrit because Prakrit as a language originated centuries after Buddhas passing. Buddha may have spoken an Indo-Aryan language which had gone extinct or got absorbed. All the texts including edicts of Ashoka were some 300 -400 years post-Buddha period. Even if Buddha spoke a language it will be Ardhamagadhi Prakrit. Prachya Kings which were further eastern could not have influenced the language in the Magadha Kingdom, also there was no invasion of Magadha from the far east.
Prior to ancient Prachya Prakrit, there was an ancient Aryan spoken (casual or non-formal) language. Prachya Prakrit and Sanskrit both descended from this ancient Aryan spoken language.
Hillarious assumption. Given Sanskrit predates all these versions of MIA languages.
Sanskrit was the language of aristocrats. That language was used for special needs such as in temples, royal edicts etc. Sanskrit was not a casual spoken language.
Wrong again. The author needs to learn Chronology. In the Vedic times, there weren't any temples.
In Ramayana, when Hanuman saw Sita in captivity, he considered what language he will speak with her, thinking, "If I say Sanskrit words like two-origin people, then Sita will be afraid of me thinking I am Ravana, therefore I must speak meaningful human words, otherwise I cannot convince and reassure Sita. "

These "human words and sentences" Hanuman refers to are ancient Indian Aryans casual spoken languages.
"यदि वाचम् प्रदास्यामि द्विजातिः इव संस्कृताम् | रावणम् मन्यमाना माम् सीता भीता भविष्यति || वानरस्य विशेषेण कथं स्यादभिभाषणम्म् |"
Oh my god. Did he call us two-origin people:angry:? It means a twice-born, not two - origin. Not going further. Ramayana never mentions that another language is spoken, the author misquotes it
अवश्यम् एव वक्तव्यम् मानुषम् वाक्यम् अर्थवत् || मया सान्त्वयितुम् शक्या न अन्यथा इयम् अनिन्दिता |
meaningful words of a human being are to be spoken by me. Otherwise, Sitha cannot be consoled

means, he must speak rather a subtle way. Also, what Hanuman said to Sita is narrated in Sanskrit, as a beautiful poem. Not a "human - language".

In contrast the the equivalent of ""Tumi Aacho"" in Sanskrit is "Yue-Yung Sthaw".
What is this? Does "Tumi" means "you"? Just asking.
From the attached table, you can see this idea briefly. And clearly understand that Bengali and Sanskrit are two children of the same language, but in no way is Bengali a child form of Sanskrit."
संस्कृताम् is older than any Proto Indian language.... period.

This is Prakrit, written in Pali cannon
mam akkocchi mam avadhi mam ajini mee ahaesi
yea tam upanay/hanti teasam vearam na sammati

Sanskrit version of the same.
maam aakroshati maam avadyadi maam ajayati me aahyasi
yeatam upanayanti teshaam vairam na shaamy/ati ||

Last edited:
Thanks @Bilal9 bhai for the translation of this status. now non Bengali guys also can learn.
Although peoples are using pre conceived flawed argument based on Sanskrit pondit theory, but in reality those Sanskrit pondits were hijacker of Bengali.
Once noise of bird ( পাখির কিচির মিচির) now became their daughter language.
This is the reason I hate Indian culture extremely.
Because almost none of their own but all are hijacked.
Even the aryan concept isn't their own too as we all know that Aryans were migrated to India from somewhere in central Asia via Iran
Here and Here is some writing on aryan homeland .
You also can find here the similarities between avestan language and Vedic Sanskrit.
So now if sanghis attack, maybe this site will be helpful .
This site is full of information about Aryans.

Great resource - Thanks for the research! :-)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

@LASER this OT subject is getting a bit long here. This post will be my last on this topic. Let's agree to disagree then.

It's just the fact. Before I explain how, let me give you the level of these authors whom you quoted. I don't have a PhD or anything, but since I'm a brahmin and have read the Samaveda and Yajurveda I think I'm qualified enough to answer these questions regarding Sanskrit and other Pali - Prakrit languages.
With all due respect - being a Brahmin and a reader of Sanskrit/Prakrit texts as opposed to being a linguist are two different things. Since I don't know your qualifications personally, I will refrain from making any further comments. Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah remains one of the leading linguists in Sanskrit and Prakrit from Bengal. He is not merely a Ph.D. You have to google him and read some of his opinion which is quite neutral...

That's totally wrong. Sanskrit evolved from Sanskrit itself. The Sanskrit that's used now is the Sanskrit Panini grammaticalized. Only that it's made simpler unlike the one in Vedas. He is totally wrong to call Sanskrit originated from some other language which shares a common origin with Bengali. Also, the influence of Sanskrit in Bengali is not my forte.
Again this is the written opinion of Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah which has been moderated by many peers in Bengali linguist circles. His expertise and research is generally seen as beyond reproach. The guy completed his research thesis from the Sorbonne in 1928. I mean - come on....:-)

It's debatable, as far as the evidence goes Buddha never spoke Prakrit because Prakrit as a language originated centuries after Buddhas passing. Buddha may have spoken an Indo-Aryan language which had gone extinct or got absorbed. All the texts including edicts of Ashoka were some 300 -400 years post-Buddha period. Even if Buddha spoke a language it will be Ardhamagadhi Prakrit. Prachya Kings which were further eastern could not have influenced the language in the Magadha Kingdom, also there was no invasion of Magadha from the far east.
You could be right. But you are contradicting yourself a bit...

Oh my god. Did he call us two-origin people:angry:? It means a twice-born, not two - origin. Not going further. Ramayana never mentions that another language is spoken, the author misquotes it
The author did not misquote - I did. I did not understand the meaning of 'Dwijati' which I now know as twice-born.

What is this? Does "Tumi" means "you"? Just asking.

That would be correct - 'Tumi' does mean 'you' in Bengali. But it is a casual term in addressing someone.

A less formal term would be 'Tui', spoken to very close friends and subordinates - such as domestic staff or very young children.

A more formal term would be 'Aapni', spoken to unknown strangers, in professional or personal circumstances or to senior citizens and bosses.

Me too, don't want to continue talking this. Rather I want to point out few wrong assumptions made.

With all due respect - being a Brahmin and a reader of Sanskrit/Prakrit texts as opposed to being a linguist are two different things. Since I don't know your qualifications personally, I will refrain from making any further comments. Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah remains one of the leading linguists in Sanskrit and Prakrit from Bengal. He is not merely a Ph.D. You have to google him and read some of his opinion which is quite neutral...
Yes, there is a difference. For a linguist, it's like a subject they study. For someone like me, when Sanskrit is a part of life, it's different. I'm not a Sanskrit graduate, I don't think it's necessary given the point that, even Sanskrit PhD's make unforgivable errors which is serious. I'm an accountant by the way.
And I don't see his opinion un-neutral rather, he had a fixation on something a tries to prove his theory, with epics.

Again this is the written opinion of Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah which has been moderated by many peers in Bengali linguist circles. His expertise and research is generally seen as beyond reproach. The guy completed his research thesis from the Sorbonne in 1928. I mean - come on....:-)
Well, based on what I read, Rig Veda was composed approx 1500BC. That Sanskrit is called Vedic Sanskrit. Hence I said, Sanskrit developed from Sanskrit itself. Nobody associates a predecessor for Sanskrit, mainly because Rigveda is the farthest anyone has ever got in Sanskrit. And it was an oral tradition until 500 BC (if my guess is right).

You could be right. But you are contradicting yourself a bit...
No, even for an arguments sake he wants to associate Buddha spoke any language, it'll be the predecessor of Magadhi Prakrit.

There is reason why Bay of Bengal is simply a small part of Indian Ocean.
Sorry, all the Oceans except perhaps the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea are interrelated. But, every zonal sea has been named during the historical times. The name Bay of Bengal is there in the ancient texts. It is written even in the chronology written by Ibn Batuta. So, do not please make a mistake by tagging the BoB as a part of the Indian Ocean. It is a disgrace to Bengal/Bangladesh.

সাধারণত: এ বিষয়ে সবাই একমত যে দূরবর্তী অতীতে, উড়িষ্যা, অসমীয়া ও বাংলা মিলে একটি একক কাছাকাছি ভাষা ছিল, যার মধ্য থেকে উড়িযা প্রথমে এবং পরে আসামি বিভক্ত হয়ে যায়। ফলে বাংলা ভাষা ও সাহিত্যের প্রাচীনতম নমুনা, চর্যাপদকে (বৌদ্ধ রহস্যময় গান), উড়িষ্যা ও আসামিরাও তাদের নিজস্ব হিসাবে দাবি করে।

বাঙালি ভাষাবিদ সুণীতি কুমার চট্টোপাধ্যায় এবং সুকুমার সেনের মতে, মগধী অপভ্ৰংশের মাধ্যমে মগধী প্রাকৃত (একটি কথ্য ভাষা) থেকে বাংলা উদ্ভূত। অপরদিকে, বাংলা ভাষাবিদ মুহাম্মদ শহিদুল্লা ও তাঁর অনুসারীরা একটি ভিন্ন তত্ত্বের প্রস্তাব দেন, তাতে বলা হয় ৭ম শতাব্দীতে বাংলা ভাষার শুরু এবং এটা সূত্রপাত হয়েছিল কথিত এবং লিখিত গাওডা থেকে (প্রাকৃত এবং প্রাকৃত অপভ্ৰংশ)।

বাংলা একটি ইন্দো-ইউরোপীয় ভাষা হলেও এটি দক্ষিণ এশিয়ায় বিশেষ করে দ্রাবিড়, অস্ট্রোশিয়াটিক এবং তিব্বত-বর্মণ পরিবারদের দ্বারা প্রভাবিত অন্যান্য ভাষা পরিবারগুলির দ্বারা প্রভাবিত হয়েছে, যা সমস্ত বাংলা শব্দভান্ডারের ক্ষেত্রে অবদান রেখেছে এবং কিছু কাঠামোগত অবদানও প্রদান করে।

৬০ ও ৭০ দশকে চ্যাটার্জি ২0 শতকের প্রথম দিকের অভিধানগুলি পরীক্ষা করেন এবং দেখেন যে বাংলা ভাষার ৫০ শতাংশের বেশি শব্দ স্থানীয় (অর্থাৎ স্বাভাবিকভাবে সংশোধিত সংস্কৃত শব্দসমূহ,সংস্কৃত শব্দসমূহের কলুষিত রূপ এবং নন ইন্দো-ইউরোপীয় ভাষা থেকে ধার করা শব্দ), প্রায় ৪৫ শতাংশ সংস্কৃতভিত্তিক শব্দ এবং অবশিষ্টগুলি বিদেশী শব্দ। শেষ গ্রুপের মধ্যে প্রধান হচ্ছে ফার্সি, যা বাংলা ব্যাকরণ তৈরিরও অন্যতম উৎস ছিল।

আরও সাম্প্রতিক গবেষণায় বলা হয়েছে যে স্থানীয় এবং বিদেশী শব্দসমূহের ব্যবহার বাড়ানো হচ্ছে, এর প্রধান কারণ হচ্ছে কথ্য ভাষা ব্যবহার করা বাঙ্গালী ভাষাভাষীদের পছন্দ।

Last edited:
Although Bengali is a comparatively a richer language to say other south Asian or some other Asian languages(my guess, no confirmation), but it is quite a weak language when we compare it with the established European languages like English. Any English to Bengali translator can feels it.

Although Bengali is a comparatively a richer language to say other south Asian or some other Asian languages(my guess, no confirmation), but it is quite a weak language when we compare it with the established European languages like English. Any English to Bengali translator can feels it.

English is the 'lingua franca' (odd misnomer) of the WORLD and has borrowed and become rich from all languages (including Bengali). Although Bengali speakers number the seventh largest in the world, the number of literate people in Bengali had not become large until recently.

However some signs are already on the wall. More than half the population of the Bangladesh (exceeding total population of UK) have access to the Internet and these are mostly Internet-savvy young people. Once these mostly literate Bangladeshi people start getting exposure to the world, they will for sure enrich their language. Bangladeshi Expats will do it as well because of exposure to other languages in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

However some signs are already on the wall. More than half the population of the Bangladesh (exceeding total population of UK) have access to the Internet and these are mostly Internet-savvy young people. Once these mostly literate Bangladeshi people start getting exposure to the world, they will for sure enrich their language. Bangladeshi Expats will do it as well because of exposure to other languages in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
As usual, you are giving us a rosy picture of internet users in Bangladesh. In reality, BD is the lowest user. Moreover, almost all people use only the Mobile Internet for verbal communication and sending messages. Why do you think, this mobile communication will bring about a profound change and take us to a first world level of acquiring knowledge?

The mobile internet phone tool is not something a person can acquire knowledge on the scale that a fixed line or wifi internet can give. Again, are our people keen to read and write in English? As far as I know, they are not and they like to read and write only in Bengali. So, how do you say that this kind weak base in English or other European languages will help grow the outer knowledge of BD people? Instead of living in a fantasy world please click the link below to read that "Bangladesh lowest internet using country in Asia Pacific: study".
https://www.thedailystar.net/busine...rnet-using-country-asia-pacific-study-1566004

Time and again you have failed to tag me as an anti-BD. Instead of fulfilling a personal vendetta, you guys all should be pragmatic to understand the weakness of our country and should try to improve it. Instead, you too often send rosy pictures to camouflage the reality in BD.

English is the 'lingua franca' (odd misnomer) of the WORLD and has borrowed and become rich from all languages (including Bengali). Although Bengali speakers number the seventh largest in the world, the number of literate people in Bengali had not become large until recently.

Very true.I have read that, a peasant do not use more than 300-500 words in his entire lifetime.Just a generation ago, our 80 percent people was from peasant background, illiterate and village dwellers.

Sixty to seventy percent of English words are borrowed from other languages, specially the scientific terms has their origin in Greek and Latin language, or in some instances, Arabic language.With rising literacy and a little efforts from our linguistic scholars,Bengali can also be a highly enrich language by accepting and internalizing the foreign terms.Some can perfectly sit well in our language.Think about the failed attempt to create Bengali synonym of Chair(আরাম কেদারা) or Oxygen(অম্লজান), these Bengali words will never be able to intrude our spoken language., even recent attempt to make Cell phone to মুঠোফোন is a bad attempt.But some other word's Bengali synonym can perfectly fit well and our researchers should try to create meaningful, sweet and easy to pronounce Bengali synonym.Direct borrowing plus Bengali synonym, this is how our language will enrich over times.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom