What's new

Bangladesh receives VT-5 tanks plus other equipment

Bhai, a lot of ERA or NERA packages are designed to deal with kinetic energy projectiles, in addition to shaped-charged warheads. The first of such ERA was the Soviet Kontakt-5, fielded in the mid-1980s. More modern Russian eras like Kaktus, Afganit, Relikt have an even better performance against kinetic energy projectiles.

However, these era/nera packages are designed to function alongside a tank's armor. I think Kontakt-5 (as used in T-80U, T-90 series etc) degraded the penetration capacity of a projectile by 30%. After that, the main armor of the tank's hull/turret would be enough to stop a round from penetrating. So once can't simply place even the most capable era/nera blocks ( the Afganit system, as fitted on Armata) onto APC's, IFV's, or light tanks, and expected similar protection level of an MBT. The VT-5's base armor (according to publically available data, the tank is open for export after all) is steel, with some composite elements around critical areas. It's enough to stop autocannon fire, but nothing larger then that.

Overall, I'm really happy the army bought them. It's a very niche vehicle, probably the best overall light tank on sale right now, but Bangladesh has niche requirements. I wouldn't expect it to fight on equal terms against MBTs, but it makes an excellent ambush vehicle. Chicom fire control system and electronics are on par, as demonstrated multiple times at the International Tank Biatholons held in Russia. Their FCS outperformed Russian ones more often than not!

I think the army generally makes wise and rational procurement. This, along with the Nora-B52, are probably amongst the best procurements they've made in the decade, from a cost-effective vs capability perspectiive

Thanks for your detailed comments - agreed. I concur completely. :-)

Meant for the boggy country with the lighter weight?
BD needs more dispersed military bases as the impact of global warming will hit it in 20 years or so

Light tanks, MANPADS, air defence radars, reconnaissance vehicles and amphibious tanks have all been on Bangladesh's shopping list of late.

The Bangladesh Army has begun receiving VT5 light tanks from China. This is just one recent purchase from China as the South Asian country seeks to modernise its military.

The amount of Type 15s ordered is around 44 units to equip a tank regiment. It is rumoured that the first dispatch of these tanks from China occurred in April, but their exact delivery dates are unclear.

Gen Aziz Ahmed, the then Chief of Army Staff, stated in March that light tanks had been ordered, although he did not say from whence.

What Bangladesh need the most is to replace their air planes. This stuff is worthless compare to fighter planes

What Bangladesh need the most is to replace their air planes. This stuff is worthless compare to fighter planes
Why worthless? Why not retired the whole Bangladesh army and let Air Force only, to do everything, genius?

Why worthless? Why not retired the whole Bangladesh army and let Air Force only, to do everything, genius?
Bangladesh have already have few good tanks and they are addressing them since very long but neglecting airforce very long and now whole Airforce plane need to replace with decent platform like J10. BAF need all unit replacement program and they are completely powerless compare to their surrounding

Bangladesh have already have few good tanks and they are addressing them since very long but neglecting airforce very long and now whole Airforce plane need to replace with decent platform like J10. BAF need all unit replacement program and they are completely powerless compare to their surrounding
Air Force procurement are expensive and need extensive net work of awacs, aew and maintenance in order to pose a credible threat or effective deterrent,

Why not first plug the holes that are easier to fill up?

Because in Modern days war, strong airforce can support both navy and army. Strong airforce is allrounder to support all three department

Bhai, a lot of ERA or NERA packages are designed to deal with kinetic energy projectiles, in addition to shaped-charged warheads. The first of such ERA was the Soviet Kontakt-5, fielded in the mid-1980s. More modern Russian eras like Kaktus, Afganit, Relikt have an even better performance against kinetic energy projectiles.

However, these era/nera packages are designed to function alongside a tank's armor. I think Kontakt-5 (as used in T-80U, T-90 series etc) degraded the penetration capacity of a projectile by 30%. After that, the main armor of the tank's hull/turret would be enough to stop a round from penetrating. So once can't simply place even the most capable era/nera blocks ( the Afganit system, as fitted on Armata) onto APC's, IFV's, or light tanks, and expected similar protection level of an MBT. The VT-5's base armor (according to publically available data, the tank is open for export after all) is steel, with some composite elements around critical areas. It's enough to stop autocannon fire, but nothing larger then that.

Overall, I'm really happy the army bought them. It's a very niche vehicle, probably the best overall light tank on sale right now, but Bangladesh has niche requirements. I wouldn't expect it to fight on equal terms against MBTs, but it makes an excellent ambush vehicle. Chicom fire control system and electronics are on par, as demonstrated multiple times at the International Tank Biatholons held in Russia. Their FCS outperformed Russian ones more often than not!

I think the army generally makes wise and rational procurement. This, along with the Nora-B52, are probably amongst the best procurements they've made in the decade, from a cost-effective vs capability perspectiive
the VT5 is a light tank. light tanks rely on mobility more then armor. plus it has great optics and cannon.

Back
Top Bottom