What's new

Bikini or headscarf -- which offers more freedom?

After reading this article I will say that.

It doesnt matter if you wear a bikini or a scarf. Its the sense of freedom that lies in your thought on how you are going to see the world as.

And when you see the world with the sense of freedom in mind. It doesnt matter, coz you wont be disrespecting and disliking a woman who is wearing a bikini too and vica versa.

I don't understand kids wearing religious coverings meant for a sexually developed woman. It just shows how the parents have no clue what they're doing, they're just doing it for the sake of pissing the rest of us off.
Parents left it up to her child to chose one thing over the other. Are you saying you'd be pissed off because parents are clothing their children altogether?

She is just a kid! why her wearing burqa deserves such drenched in emotion article and hot discussion in internet? Applaud her if she gets good mark in exam or recite a poem properly, not because she is wearing burqa!

Sigh, our world is just too myopic!
Actually you need to at least know the words right. Half the people dissing Islamic clothing here can't even differentiate between the Burkha, Abbayya, Dupatta and a head scarf and what constitutes as hijab.

Just because you're confused, don't project that determination on to others.

The kid is not wearing a Burkha

There is no problem if someone wants to wears a burqa, however, the problem is when women are forced upon to wear them…and in most cases the latter is true
How do you come to the conclusion that MOST people are forced to wear the Burkha? People do it even in western countries where a woman can go to social services and report any such abuse.

Stop declaring stuff as fact when you don't even belong to the Muslim community. Your sentence should end after "Women should be free to wear what they want". Other than that is just your prejudice and bias that you're throwing in to influence bans on the freedom to wear Islam inspired clothing.

Actually you need to at least know the words right. Half the people dissing Islamic clothing here can't even differentiate between the Burkha, Abbayya, Dupatta and a head scarf and what constitutes as hijab.

Just because you're confused, don't project that determination on to others.

The kid is not wearing a Burkha

Just because technically I said the wrong term, that doesn't take way anything from my point. I'm not confused, neither I'm trying to project anything on anyone. Think about it, she is a kid, it doesn't matter if she wears a burkha, head scarf or anything else. Her attire is a non issue.

How do you come to the conclusion that MOST people are forced to wear the Burkha? People do it even in western countries where a woman can go to social services and report any such abuse.

Stop declaring stuff as fact when you don't even belong to the Muslim community. Your sentence should end after "Women should be free to wear what they want". Other than that is just your prejudice and bias that you're throwing in to influence bans on the freedom to wear Islam inspired clothing.

There is nothing prejudice about it. There are hundreds of sources floating on net and on YouTube about how the Muslim women are forced to wear burqa. The infamous statement by Taliban spokesman that "the face of a woman is a source of corruption for men not related to them” says it all. Isn’t this called forcing woman to cover their faces by brute force?

Bikini or hijab one show modesty the other show freedoms for women .... I choose hijab beacuse it shows dignity and humaness lol

All the discussion boards here start on a serious note and become downright funny.

I am not inviting any discussion on the following, Pakistan and India were at some point in time, a single entity. The culture, or whatever the heck it means, was common, perhaps to a large degree still is common.

Coming back to the present, India has it's set of vices and Pakistan it's own.

Admitting a "cultivated" burqa / purdah system would not necessarily mean the other country has no vices. The men in India are as cheap and ****** in treating women as the men in Pakistan are.

Burqa is not a ritual practiced only in Pakistan. It is very much in practice in India too. I do not see why it has to be a India Pakistan battle.

And IMHO, Burqa is a cultivated culture. Granted one should wear it out of free will. But where is the free will when one teaches a kid right from day 1 that wearing burqa or keeping Purdah is our culture?

And the alternative to wearing Burqa is not to roam naked. Men do not wear burqas but they do not roam naked as well. Why treat women differently? The same is true of Purdah system too. The same is true of dowry and dowry related deaths too. The same is true of foeticide, attributed to female gender, too.

We don't have to bring in vices in other's respective countries / cultures to accept or reject a vice in ours.

Regards,
Anoop.

It was actually an interesting article , the thread starter gave a rather provocative title IMHO is not called for. Then the trolls moved in, turned headscarf into Burqa and started having a field day at the expense of the little girl.

One could try to make a case about Krista Bremers writing craft, inferences, and maybe her biases. Even maybe her parenting skills. No sir not. They brought the Burqa umbrella and dumped everything under it.

There is nothing prejudice about it. There are hundreds of sources floating on net and on YouTube about how the Muslim women are forced to wear burqa. The infamous statement by Taliban spokesman that "the face of a woman is a source of corruption for men not related to them” says it all. Isn’t this called forcing woman to cover their faces by brute force?

Lets move from the caves of Afghanistan to Southern Florida. I have lived there for about 19 years.I have been to swimming pools, Beaches including Miami Beach, and many different clubs including "Liquid". I do not recall seeing a single girl or group of girls of South Asian origin ever in those places. There are tens of thousands of South Asian folks living in Southern Florida including girls living on their own.

Taking the bull by the horn, which is your argument about Taliban, are these girls oppressed that they are afraid to go out and live the life to the fullest ?

It is still almost after 20 years a rare sight to see a Southern Asian origin girl in a low cut jeans with tank top or in a Mini skirt or for that matter any skirt at all. I have seen more Chritian woman wearing ankle long skirts, long sleeve shirts and headscarfs than woman wearing Burqa in the USA.

Bollywood is not the real world.

You Sir do not have any idea what the heck you are talking about.

Just because technically I said the wrong term, that doesn't take way anything from my point. I'm not confused, neither I'm trying to project anything on anyone. Think about it, she is a kid, it doesn't matter if she wears a burkha, head scarf or anything else. Her attire is a non issue.
It matters if what people are implying here that she should be forced to take it off. It doesn't matter till she chooses any clothing for herself, but once something is imposed, it becomes a problem.

Indians have definitely been brainwashed about a mean oppressive society in Muslim areas by their media. The same Muslim girls are excelling in every field, hijabi or non-hijabi. There are many cases out there where abuses do happen, but in the whole everything should be left to freewill.

Parents left it up to her child to chose one thing over the other. Are you saying you'd be pissed off because parents are clothing their children altogether?

I'm pissed off because a small innocent female child has to mentally grasp the concept that her body is an object of desire for men and she has to worry about covering her body instead of going to school and playing hopscotch. You see there is a certain "objectification" of women, men turning womens bodies into objects. I don't understand Asim. Now you are just twisting my words and implying I would prefer nude people in my face. That is also wrong and stereotyping unnecessarily, it happens when your side of the argument is weak I presume.

Nine years ago, I danced my newborn daughter around my North Carolina living room to the music of "Free to Be...You and Me", the '70s children's classic whose every lyric about tolerance and gender equality I had memorized as a girl growing up in California.

My Libyan-born husband, Ismail, sat with her for hours on our screened porch, swaying back and forth on a creaky metal rocker and singing old Arabic folk songs, and took her to a Muslim sheikh who chanted a prayer for long life into her tiny, velvety ear.

She had espresso eyes and lush black lashes like her father's, and her milky-brown skin darkened quickly in the summer sun. We named her Aliya, which means "exalted" in Arabic, and agreed we would raise her to choose what she identified with most from our dramatically different backgrounds.

I secretly felt smug about this agreement -- confident that she would favor my comfortable American lifestyle over his modest Muslim upbringing. Ismail's parents live in a squat stone house down a winding dirt alley outside Tripoli. Its walls are bare except for passages from the Quran engraved onto wood, its floors empty but for thin cushions that double as bedding at night.

My parents live in a sprawling home in Santa Fe with a three-car garage, hundreds of channels on the flat-screen TV, organic food in the refrigerator, and a closetful of toys for the grandchildren.

Oprah.com: An inheritance story you won't believe

I imagined Aliya embracing shopping trips to Whole Foods and the stack of presents under the Christmas tree, while still fully appreciating the melodic sound of Arabic, the honey-soaked baklava Ismail makes from scratch, the intricate henna tattoos her aunt drew on her feet when we visited Libya. Not once did I imagine her falling for the head covering worn by Muslim girls as an expression of modesty.

Last summer we were celebrating the end of Ramadan with our Muslim community at a festival in the parking lot behind our local mosque. Children bounced in inflatable fun houses while their parents sat beneath a plastic tarp nearby, shooing flies from plates of curried chicken, golden rice, and baklava.

Aliya and I wandered past rows of vendors selling prayer mats, henna tattoos, and Muslim clothing. When we reached a table displaying head coverings, Aliya turned to me and pleaded, "Please, Mom -- can I have one?"

She riffled through neatly folded stacks of headscarves while the vendor, an African-American woman shrouded in black, beamed at her. I had recently seen Aliya cast admiring glances at Muslim girls her age.

I quietly pitied them, covered in floor-length skirts and long sleeves on even the hottest summer days, as my best childhood memories were of my skin laid bare to the sun: feeling the grass between my toes as I ran through the sprinkler on my front lawn; wading into an icy river in Idaho, my shorts hitched up my thighs, to catch my first rainbow trout; surfing a rolling emerald wave off the coast of Hawaii. But Aliya envied these girls and had asked me to buy her clothes like theirs. And now a headscarf.

Oprah.com: How do you get your daughter to talk to you?

In the past, my excuse was that they were hard to find at our local mall, but here she was, offering to spend ten dollars from her own allowance to buy the forest green rayon one she clutched in her hand. I started to shake my head emphatically "no," but caught myself, remembering my commitment to Ismail. So I gritted my teeth and bought it, assuming it would soon be forgotten.

That afternoon, as I was leaving for the grocery store, Aliya called out from her room that she wanted to come.

A moment later she appeared at the top of the stairs -- or more accurately, half of her did. From the waist down, she was my daughter: sneakers, bright socks, jeans a little threadbare at the knees. But from the waist up, this girl was a stranger. Her bright, round face was suspended in a tent of dark cloth like a moon in a starless sky.

"Are you going to wear that?" I asked.

"Yeah," she said slowly, in that tone she had recently begun to use with me when I state the obvious.

Oprah.com: Your kids are different...and it's okay

On the way to the store, I stole glances at her in my rearview mirror. She stared out the window in silence, appearing as aloof and unconcerned as a Muslim dignitary visiting our small Southern town -- I, merely her chauffeur.

I bit my lip. I wanted to ask her to remove her head covering before she got out of the car, but I couldn't think of a single logical reason why, except that the sight of it made my blood pressure rise. I'd always encouraged her to express her individuality and to resist peer pressure, but now I felt as self-conscious and claustrophobic as if I were wearing that headscarf myself.

This is a little girl for any reason want to dress like that and her parents is just going along with it. When she goes through puberty she might dump all her modesty and pick-up tight jeans and tank tops with push up bra like so many adolescent girls do. The parents will be ok with that too.

There is nothing else in this story other than it was featured on Oprah.

Back
Top Bottom