What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @kursed

If this is true then this can mean either:
1. The Chinese are willing to mate their missile to a Griffo radar. This might mean that the Italian radar option for the JF17 plus chinese missiles may have been more viable than originally thought. (and the Chinese radar won out based on capability and speed of integration and not some refusal of the Chinese to mate their missiles)
2. The Chinese installed a Chinese radar in the Mirage. AESA mirage 3?lol
3. This is just a statement about carrying the missile and not integration and firing.

Edit: 1 may be due to the induction of the PL15 and the existence of the PL15E, the SD10 isnt considered critical enough to be restricted in terms of integration.
This post has all the ingredients of a teeli. @PanzerKiel would be enjoying watching Def PK turn itself inside out… with his evening tea. :P

Technically Mirage was always BVR capable. Cyrano radar equipped MIII carried Matra 530 SARG missile on center pylon. One was actually fire in 1971 against a SU-7 but pilot had to break radar lock before the missile can hit the target.
BVR is from 37km and onwards. The r530 SARH missile was a short range missile.

This post has all the ingredients of a teeli. @PanzerKiel would be enjoying watching Def PK turn itself inside out… with his evening tea. :P
I'm aware of that possibility however I too sometimes get bored with counting the number of SH15s in service :p:

BVR is from 37km and onwards. The r530 SARH missile was a short range missile.
Can you visually identify a fighter size object @ 37km?
Matra 530 / AIM-7B/C were first gen Semi Active Radar guided "all weather" missiles with ranges around 25km.

I'm not knowledgeable of any specific products aside from KLJ-7A and LFK601. However, there are definitely other AESA radar options, e.g., the J-10CE likely uses a bigger system, while China's ISTAR drones likely carry much smaller SAR/GMTI radars. It wouldn't surprise me that there's a 500-600 TRM AESA radar on offer for small fighter applications like L-15. Something like that could be an option for the Mirage ROSE-I.

I wish we could troll by fitting an AESA radar, HMD/S, etc to the F-7PG. Call it Abhi-Bison and claim it can take out a Rafale.

Innocent questions: Is AESA a must for SD10 or we can consider some PD Radars like from Thunder block II types?

Also, is that pointing towards some jointly produced but homegrown Radar solution as a first step?

Furthermore, does it indicates towards some protection for Mirage as an additional quality upgrade to fleet as a whole, in attack role without being vulnerable in defence while performing offensive mission?

If this is indeed operationalized, you have SD-10 on center, 2 WVR AAMs on wingtips. That is not a bad option for air defence roles. These Mirages probably have 5 years of service left before they are replaced by JF-17s so all in all, a decent stop-gap measure. Plus this would be the most potent Mirage III in the world!
Probably the only Mirage 3 in the world more like 🙂

Probably the only Mirage 3 in the world more like 🙂

It makes sense if true. An AD fleet of Thunders and Soon retiring Mirages. It's like taking every last but of energy before they are grounded. Till then, will help in ease the work load, study, test and work on results. Let's test the SD-10 FnF mode with Mirage having capability to go supersonic. There must be some valuable output to do so.

One point we all missed is that of mirage is mach 2 capable. With true bvr and link 17 it could be very deadly to sweep area at high altitude at high speed

I'm aware of that possibility however I too sometimes get bored with counting the number of SH15s in service :p:
In all honesty, I'd be very surprised should PAF invest even a dime on this. To me, that'd seem like taking precious little resources away from getting a bigger B3 fleet.

In all honesty, I'd be very surprised should PAF invest even a dime on this. To me, that'd seem like taking precious little resources away from getting a bigger B3 fleet.
I think everyone would be surprised. Which is why I've kind of converged to
It MIGHT be an attempt to utilize JF-17 stocks of SD-10s since they are most likely to switch over to PL-15s. It might just be Mirages carrying SD-10s and firing them in active mode to be a nuisance to the enemy. That too has limited value in my opinion so I don't know.
which seems like the lowest complexity/cost explanation of this IF this is true.

Of course what I'm suggesting isn't as simple as screwing an SD10 onto a pylon but it should be simpler than the other alternatives. An aero mechanical study would have to be carried out for carriage and separation.

which seems like the lowest complexity/cost explanation of this IF this is true.

Of course what I'm suggesting isn't as simple as screwing an SD10 onto a pylon but it should be simpler than the other alternatives. An aero mechanical study would have to be carried out for carriage and separation.
I don't think they'd need to worry about the SD-10 stocks. It could always be a supplementary BVR for the J-10CEs and JF-17s, especially if they start using that dual-ejector-rack set-up.

I don't think they'd need to worry about the SD-10 stocks. It could always be a supplementary BVR for the J-10CEs and JF-17s, especially if they start using that dual-ejector-rack set-up.
Not a worry about the stocks but a desire to have block 3s and J10s carry PL15s exclusively. Or so I am speculating.

Just for illustration... Colombian Kfir with Elta AESA, Derby, Python 5, litening pod and an LGB and spice on centerline :)

Something similar could have been done Replace with KLJ7A, SD10, PL5e, Ra'ad.
Kfirs are almost as old as Mirage 3 (maybe 10 years younger)

img_49-2_20.jpg

It makes sense if true. An AD fleet of Thunders and Soon retiring Mirages. It's like taking every last but of energy before they are grounded. Till then, will help in ease the work load, study, test and work on results. Let's test the SD-10 FnF mode with Mirage having capability to go supersonic. There must be some valuable output to do so.
Is there a possibility that block 2 radrs capable of firing sd-10s which will now be converted to block 3 have been upgraded to mirages and therefore they can fire SD-10s it's cost effective as those spare block 2 radars won't be used now given block 2s will be converted to block 3 standards

Back
Top Bottom