What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

The delay in acquisition of J-10BS from China might be because of the availability of J-31 till 2017 or it might be possible that PAC had joined the program as its share similar engines with JF-17s.

We are not acquiring stealth planes, not for a long long time. Stop your daydreams. We are not capable of handling 4.5 Gen with ease what makes you thing we can handle 5th Gen planes with care. The amount of training would take years upon years for the ground crew, then comes the actual maintainability/acquisition by the PAF.

Yes but when an economy has gone"khudday line" like ours thanks to Zardari and the PPP idiots what do we do? Secondly it would be nice if you answered the question that I have posed. I really am clueless as to what the equilibrium point in this relationship is.
Araz

The answers are very simple.

With the economy going khudday line, the yearly military budget is requiring an noticeable increase to off set the inflationary affect. Since the Pakistan requires are $6 Billion which used to make up 15% in 2005, today it makes up 18% of the budget, And that is while sustaining the international inflationary pressures.

As for China, why do you think China is still friends with a country which is stuck up in 100 different problems? The Gwadar port. If the Gwadar is developed without any moth eaten strategic planning, then it is bound to be the Dubai of the next 5 decades. Plus it will reduce the logistic costs of the Chinese upto 35% especially for accessing the Africas. Hence J-10s, F-22Ps and the likes are what you call the 'gifts' from the Chinese.

We are not acquiring stealth planes, not for a long long time. Stop your daydreams. We are not capable of handling 4.5 Gen with ease what makes you thing we can handle 5th Gen planes with care. The amount of training would take years upon years for the ground crew, then comes the actual maintainability/acquisition by the PAF.

I am sure for J-31s....

The amount of money that goes into maintaining a 4.5 Gen Block 52+ F-16 is almost $130-140 million. Can you expect us to have the resources to care for 5th Gen J-31?

I'm not ridiculing you, everyone of us wants a potent airforce. But some things are just not possible. If they are, certainly not in the timeframe you mentioned.

Adding to informants post without Chinese Government funding I really think fhe project itself is unlikely to bear fruit till 2017. Expect something by 2022-25.
Araz

The amount of money that goes into maintaining a 4.5 Gen Block 52+ F-16 is almost $130-140 million. Can you expect us to have the resources to care for 5th Gen J-31?

I'm not ridiculing you, everyone of us wants a potent airforce. But some things are just not possible. If they are, certainly not in the timeframe you mentioned.

I don't see Pakistan being able to afford and maintain even a squadron or two of 5th gen aircraft any time in this decade.

J-10B would be a nice addition, but it's not entirely necessary. Nor do the monetary limitations allow the procurement of a completely new aircraft at this point.

Remember, when counting the cost of a new aircraft, there's the flyaway cost, weapons and avionics suite costs, maintenance costs and also infrastructure costs; the necessary infrastructure for each aircraft is different, both PAF and PAC would need to add new facilities to accommodate the induction of a new aircraft.

The JF-17 however is the best thing that's ever happened to AF procurement, our very jet which we can tweak to our hearts content, produce cheaply, locally and in good numbers.

Add all that up and it becomes clear that not only is the PAF unlikely to procure a new aircraft at this point, it wouldn't be so wise from a financial perspective.

I don't see Pakistan being able to afford and maintain even a squadron or two of 5th gen aircraft any time in this decade.

J-10B would be a nice addition, but it's not entirely necessary. Nor do the monetary limitations allow the procurement of a completely new aircraft at this point.

Remember, when counting the cost of a new aircraft, there's the flyaway cost, weapons and avionics suite costs, maintenance costs and also infrastructure costs; the necessary infrastructure for each aircraft is different, both PAF and PAC would need to add new facilities to accommodate the induction of a new aircraft.

The JF-17 however is the best thing that's ever happened to AF procurement, our very jet which we can tweak to our hearts content, produce cheaply, locally and in good numbers.

Add all that up and it becomes clear that not only is the PAF unlikely to procure a new aircraft at this point, it wouldn't be so wise from a financial perspective.

The PAF already have two single-engined type jets, the F-16 C/D and the JF-17. The question would be, why would they want a third type? What would be the significant gains here in case money does allow? Operating too many different platforms is often not a great idea.

What are significance of 1.6 billion $ US aid in this regard?

Last edited:

140 mil per year?
or entire lifetime?

Lifetime for PAF. Just a round estimate this keeping in mind our costs are way lesser than other AFs. We need a strong economy with double the budget allocation for PAF to be able to look at 5th Gen fighters.

Lifetime for PAF. Just a round estimate this keeping in mind our costs are way lesser than other AFs. We need a strong economy with double the budget allocation for PAF to be able to look at 5th Gen fighters.
I think Pakistan will improve its economy lead by Sharif.

J-10 With two similar aircraft performance comparison
TypeJ-10 JAS-39F-16
Picture

Size16.43m/9.75m/5.43m
14.1m/8.4m/4.5m
15.06m/9.96m/4.88m
Empty weight9,750kg6,800kg8,570kg
Maximum Takeoff Weight
19,277kg14,000kg19,200kg
Thrust122.58kn80.5kn127kn
Maximum Range3,900km3,200km4,220km
Combat radius1,250km800km1,300km
Weight ratio1.0240.971.095
Cannon1×23mmCaliber double-barreled cannon1×27
Mm tube Mauser
BK-271×20Mm6
Tube Vulcan
Plug-in points0Wingtip/6underwing/5Under the fuselage2Wingtip/4underwing/1Under the fuselage2Wingtip/6underwing/3Under the fuselage
Plug Weight6,000kg4,700kg7,700kg

I haven't been following the news lately. Can someone tell me when is PAF getting the J-10s. (specially J10 B).

Back
Top Bottom