What's new

China rolls out AWACS aircrafts for Pakistan Air Force

@unicorn, i didnt say it that pakistan made it by itself, it was a collaborative effort of 2 countries and experts from 4 countries, 11 years in making, 1 bill investment, 400 personnel,

it was like JFT project which u can see if part of Pakistan but not of Chinese Airforce. China has done this project before and did this one again.

Pakistan does not have all the necessary expertise and have relied on china all along to come up with something unique.. its a great success model...

Guys, Take it or leave it. I have known my source for last 15 years, and went to school together and he is the part of this project. I am not sure why he will make it up. From his own words. its based on Pakistani requirements after they were refused E3 sentry. work has been going on for last 23 years and it got accelerated after kargil debacle when pakistan really felt the need of AWACS platform due to its limitations as compared to IAF.

My source became the part of this project in 2001 and is still on this project. his words were, AESA radar, 450 to 500 miles, 800kms with 300 simultaneous targets.. 10 years total cost of ~1 billion $, involvement of more than 400 technical personal, collaboration of 2 countries and expertise from 4 coutnries, and it was the requirement of 1 country, Pakistan.

I am not sure why will he make it up, might exaggerate due to excitement but not totally outright wrong !!

All i know necessity is the mother of all inventions and Pakistan has shown this over time... its high time people start accepting this..

Does seem a little exaggerated..
considering that while such a program did exist..
IT never picked up because of the denial of tech after the pressler amendment...and that the Phalcon that started off in the same time frame.. in such a large and powerful platform as the Candid series..has a maximum theoretical range of 450 km(reduced to 300-400 in operational conditions)..
Also..the ZDK-03 would have had a much more substantial Pakistani input apart from the officers who looked into systems integration vis a vis our C4I network..and creature comfort..
Tracking 300 targets with AESA is not far fetched..
So.. your friends claim.. is a wee bit too salty for me.
However..
as far as unicorn is concerned.. we have all had our go at him trying to push the Pakistani viewpoint(after all its our Awacs.. we should know about it more than his internet links)..
Take the horse to the well.. cant him drink it..

Last edited:
In the whole thing there was nowhere mentioned about that the radar is AESA ..
they posted that they dont have any information about it they called it AEW radar......
in the above it said that KJ 200 is AESA and Y-8 2 is inferior to the KJ 200
Not as advanced as the fixed (TR) AESA.......

so Y-8 is bit improved to Y-8 3 and export variant as ZDK-03 instead of Y-8 3...
The information says Much Improved(i made it bold cuz i see you need to increase the number of you glasses)
and its no where mentioned that is same as A 50 i of india ...
This is the most stupid part..and the funniest as well..:lol: the platforms are ordered seprate from the AWACS.....check they link....they are "HTTP" that is (Hyper Text Template Protocol) in case you dont know
IAI phalcon is more advanced than the KJ 2000
and what proof do you have....just because its Indian.....KJ-2000 has 500NM range.....whats the range of Phalcon....(I want to hear it from your mouth)

@hasnain0099

The Chinese-made radar system could be similar in design to the IAI Phalcon, but may not be as capable as the latter. The Phalcon system could track up to 60~100 targets at the same time and guide a dozen fighters in all-weather, day and night operations.

KongJing-2000 (KJ-2000) Airborne Warning & Control System - SinoDefence.com

this is a chinese website and most trusted by chinese

@hasnain0099
If PAF could make an radar with range 800 km and track 300 it not possible with present tech to even US
If you can make US will be ready to buy it

There is a clear cut interview with ACM Tanvir.. in Alan Warnes book.. where he tells us that the ZDK-03 will have an electronic scanning beam.
However.. the problem with a blade antenna is its tracking in the fore aft 10 degree quarters..solved by the a rotating AESA.

There is joke that now holds relevance here..
which is why I am posting it in the most inappropriate section..bear with me if you may since I know I am derailing this thread a little.. but I cannot help but post this.

A mentally disturbed man had the problem of continuously repeating
"Ghullail bana ke Chirya marein"(make slings to kill birds)..he would do this for hours and hours..
He was admitted to a psychiatric clinic..and given intensive treatment.
After some good progress..his shrink decided to evaluate him for release..

Doctor.."So mister horm..how do you feel?"
Horm.." I feel fine sir"
Doc.." Do you feel you can continue with life"
Horm.." Yes sir..I feel ready for my future.."
Doc.." Okay then.. what are your plans"
Horm".. Well.. first Ill look for a job...I lost my last one"
Doc.."Then?"
Horm.." save some money.. get a house from my inheritance..a car..maybe even settle down.."
Doc.." Good good.. marriage brings stability in most people..so.."
Horm"..YEs sir.. I know.. I want to raise a family.. have a couple of kids..which means Ill need a bigger house.. with a garden..plant some trees for those kids to swing from......."
Doc "..great..I think you are fit to be discharged..."
Horm.."Yes.. and you know.. once those trees grow.. Ill break off a branch...and ghulail bana ke chirya marey

ghulail bana ke chirya marey!!!

GHULAIAL BANA KE CHIRYA MAREYYY!!!

GHULAIAL BANA KE CHIRYA MAREYYY!!!"...

they posted that they dont have any information about it they called it AEW radar......

Not as advanced as the fixed (TR) AESA.......

The information says Much Improved(i made it bold cuz i see you need to increase the number of you glasses)

This is the most stupid part..and the funniest as well..:lol: the platforms are ordered seprate from the AWACS.....check they link....they are "HTTP" that is (Hyper Text Template Protocol) in case you dont know

and what proof do you have....just because its Indian.....KJ-2000 has 500NM range.....whats the range of Phalcon....(I want to hear it from your mouth)

Correction. It is HyperText Transfer Protocol,i guess that is why Pakistan is not an information super power..this is elementary knowledge.. :smitten::smitten:

500 NM is too high I guess, havent heard of any AWACS which has range of more than 400 KM..you may want to recheck your numbers

@ Santro....
you have been claiming so many things but till now you have shown no source to claim what you have said is true ....and better you party after proving your self

@ Santro....
you have been claiming so many things but till now you have shown no source to claim what you have said is true ....and better you party after proving your self

My claims are from my sources..non internet.. human ones..
not articles posted months ago..and intellect gleaned from piecing together internet searches..

@unicorn, i am stating what has been told me....... it is for us to analyze it and come to a conclusion, thats the reason why we are on this forum... and news are always exaggerated and reality is seeing it to believe it... lets disucss if 800km range is possible with AESA with max of 300 simeltaneous target tracking !!!!

@hasnain0099

The Chinese-made radar system could be similar in design to the IAI Phalcon, but may not be as capable as the latter. The Phalcon system could track up to 60~100 targets at the same time and guide a dozen fighters in all-weather, day and night operations.

KongJing-2000 (KJ-2000) Airborne Warning & Control System - SinoDefence.com

this is a chinese website and most trusted by chinese
now this clears doubt about the may by official acknowledgement by Chinese Govt
KJ-2000 AWACS Arrived in Beijing One Airport
eijing, Sept.03 (China Defense Mashup Report by Johnathan Weng) -- KJ-2000 is a Chinese domestic-built Airborne Early Warning and Control system (awacs) based on the Russian-made Beriev A-50.

The program started after the cancellation of the A-50I deal with Israel and Russia in July 2000 due to strong U.S. pressure and interference. The Chinese then went on to developing their own awacs, and the first aircraft made her maiden flight in 2003. Four aircraft have been identified so far. Production of new aircraft will likely be delayed, as it depends on the acquisition of more IL-76 airframes from Russia in the future. Currently, the Russian defense exporter Rosoboronexport has imposed a significant price hike on all future IL-76s delivered to China and India despite previous contract. Both countries are currently in negotiation with Russia regarding this matter as of early 2008. Because of the unreliable foreign supplier source, China had developed a backup known as the KJ-200 by installing the entire system on board the Shaanxi Y-8, and this aircraft has a similar configuration like that of the KJ-2000, and the platform is characterized by the triple tail configuration (one large and two small).

The current KJ-2000 awacs in Chinese service is equipped with a domestic Active Electronically Scanned Array active phased array radar system similar to the Swedish Ericsson Erieye radar. The radar is designed by the Research Institute of Electronic Technology (also more commonly known as the 14th Institute) at Nanjing, and it utilizes the experience gained from the 14th Institute's earlier indigenously developed Type H/LJG-346 SAPARS (Shipborne Active Phased Array Radar System) that was completed in 1998 (the same Type H/LJG-346 SAPARS was also the predecessor of the active phased array radar system onboard PLAN Lanzhou class destroyer). The Chinese Government has claimed that the domestic radar is superior to the Israeli radar, and that it can track more targets at a greater range. The radar is arranged in the same way as that of A-50I.
KJ-2000 AWACS Arrived in Beijing One Airport|China Military Power Mashup
A-50E&

Hi I have the following questions and would be really kind of the senior members to throw some light...

a)A rotating AESA vs a Fixed AESA( 3 x120 degree covering radar).... how much of a difference does it make in updating information ... speaking time wise?

b) It was mentioned few posts back that new targets are refreshed after every 2 seconds? Isnt that a considerable time when dealing with fighters flying close to mach speeds?

thanx

Back
Top Bottom