What's new

China To Induct JF-17 Thunder into Its Air Force: President Mamnoon Hussain

I agree , Instead of spending on J10bs we should invest in the JF-17 project and save money for the fifth generation jets

It would be hard to get the money for this large number of F-16s .. and remember they are sanction prone
The matter of 16s is simple. We have infrastructure for 110 fighters and we will try to get as many as we can without breaking the bank. The US needs us as a supporter in the region and I think sanctions are now a thing of the past. PAFs policy against sanctions is to have a duplicated system and acquisition. Therefore J10is the logical choice. I suspect we will wait for WS10 to mature and place an order in 2015-17. The souring of the Rafale deal has given us some breathing space and our priority should now be infrastructure development

Last edited:
Perhaps as aggressor role similar to how the USAF used F-5 in limited numbers?

China has remained on the fence regarding the program, with no PLAAF orders to date. Their air force appears to be more focused on their 4+ generation J-10 design, which offers more advanced capabilities and aerodynamics.

However, the JF-17 remains a candidate to replace large numbers of PLAAF MiG-17s (J-5) and MiG-19s (J-6/ Q-5), if the PLAAF decides it needs to take steps to maintain the size of its force.

J-10A is aerodynamically inferior to JF-17. J-10B is on par with JF-17 in terms of aerodynamics.

Last edited:
I am a bit skeptical. What niche would JF-17 fill in PLAAF that other types (J-10B, JH-7A, J-16, etc.) doesn't already fill? Seems like it will actually complicate inventory significantly.

Hi,

Isn' t filling the 'inventory' in itself is filling in the niche. China can produce only so many J10's. the current capabilities of the current JF 17 are almost twice as good as some of those old dinosaurs that the Chinese Air Force is flying.

As I had stated many a moons ago that the Chinese Air Force was developing the j 10 and paf was developing the JF17--- this would also have started an internal competition between the two aircraft developers.

a JF 17 with an sd10 b an aesa radar , a c602 naval strike missile would be a tremendous asset.

Pakistanis are too keen to see the sale of this aircraft----to those---just keep in mind the sale of Rafale to India. It is one of the best aircraft of the industry and yet it took at the death to get some orders to keep the race of this aircraft alive.

Mirage f1 was a great aircraft but it never took off in number of sales.

current JF 17 are almost twice as good as some of those old dinosaurs that the Chinese Air Force is flying.

ROFL
wish people could comprehend your blasphemy here.
they will be so butt hurt that they will bleed out of their larger intestines to death.
the only remarkable think I see on JF17 is the crescent on its tail.
thats where I stop and wait for the onslaught.
wish I had your 9 lives.

ROFL
wish people could comprehend your blasphemy here.
they will be so butt hurt that they will bleed out of their larger intestines to death.
wish I had your 9 lives.
so your saying China's mig 19s j-7s etc are better then JF-17??
I hope you're on some good stuff.

It would be prudent to wait for a Chinese source to confirm this news.
say
did you get what Mastan Said in his post #33 ? I did too without the help of "good stuff" Khan saab is referring to.

its good to see china is helping with our armed force in all aspects , I think Chinese heli are best options for PA for operations in NW , plus if china induct jf-17 to replace its old fleet so it might do two things.. one china will have a potent bird to replace its old aircrafts , plus second jf-17 will get a sudden boost for its sale ,
as some senior member state that pak should look for old f-16's and keep putting money in jf program and make it mature as possible , I would love to see pak investing $ in j-31 which is similar design as f-35 ... that would be next gen fighter for pak , j-10 is old story its better to buy some second hand f-16 and upgrade them to blk 50/52

I am a bit skeptical. What niche would JF-17 fill in PLAAF that other types (J-10B, JH-7A, J-16, etc.) doesn't already fill? Seems like it will actually complicate inventory significantly.

I simply dont see a role for the JF-17 in the PLAAF(the PLANAF is not even in the picture).
Each force has certain needs, needs on which it builds a requirement.. a doctrine. This doctrine takes into account
1.threats
2.geography.
3.finances of the force.
4.International standing of its nation..access to weapon purchase.

Based on these factors, its staff come up with what it requires to meet the challenges in 1 & 2.. it then looks at 3 & 4 to see what it can get to meet these requirements to the best possible ability. the UAEAF for e.g. has one major threat in the north over a short expanse of water. while it is constricted for geography it also needs to be able to rapidly and effectively neutralize the threats ability to project force near its coast. for that it needed a medium weight, advanced aircraft as its mainstay that could effectively fly well into the threat territory and perform any task asked of it. It already had dedicated bombers and fighters in its M2K-9s but what was needed was an aircraft that could do any task on the fly at any time.. and be a bulldozer on the north. The aircraft that suited it was the F-16.. but they wanted the best of it.. so they invested in the development of the Block-60.

The RSAF.. by contrast.. focused on a dedicated interceptor.. a dedicated bomber.. and a multirole aircraft for its needs.
However, its large expanse demanded a larger aircraft.. and its ample pockets allowed it to pay for it. By contrast.. the Israelis needed a mainstay medium light fighter to tackle the threats that they face. The F-16 fit their bill perfectly.. even today.. the number of F-16s outnumber the F-15s in the IDF-AF by 1:4..
To the IDF-AF.. the F-16 is not a light component.. its their medium weight mainstay.. However, the F-15I is their premium strike component.
But to the Jordanians.. the F-16 forms their highest tech components.. and the F-5E/F were long standing in as the air intercept reserve.

Similarly, the PAF has particular roles set out for its wants in terms of the equipment and assets it needed.

1. Strike deep into the heart of the enemy..and his key installations and strategic nodes..much like the heart and kidneys: A Strike focused asset capable of carrying carrying lots of fuel along with respectable bomb load.

2. A Medium weight Multirole asset to perform the body punches breaking bones.. the enemy's ribs... his arms.. reducing his ability to hit you..while at the same time.. being able to block his key punches to your organs and bones. While this asset will also be able to strike deep if needed, it was never envisaged that it would be dedicated to doing so nor was it supposed to carry that much punch.

3. An Air defense asset. Block the enemy's blows as much as possible over your own space..As such, it does not need to travel that far.

When it first came out.. the F-16 was in the words of a former PAF Chief.. almost an exact interpretation of their Air Staff Requirement. There is a reason why the PAF loves the F-16.. it embodies everything the PAF wants to achieve as a piece of equipment.. as a merging of man and machine.
However, the PAF also needs an air interdiction and strike aircraft. Back in the mid 90s to early 2000s.. a role they had kept for the Mirage..and a role that the Mirage fills/ed to this day very well; was found to be best suited for the mirage-2000. It is a great strike aircraft. Eventually, the PAF evaluated the upgraded F-16 and new F-16... and found that the former was still perfect for its role in at 2.. and the latter fit the role of 1 quite well too..but it needs more of those.

The last component was always going to be the JF-17..in whatever form it came. However as the aircraft was found to be more and more versatile at what the PAF could hang off it and make its electronics do. They found that they could make the JF-17 do Task 2 as well. Task 1 was always going to be for a dedicated strike aircraft..and the PAF still lacks numbers(not capability) in the force that has to go in deep and strike deep.. along with being successful and coming back.
But task 2 is now filled quite well... along with task 3 too.

Why all the discourse about the PAF??

Lets look at the PLAAF the same way?.. what Tasks will it set out for itself?
It has similar requirements.. but unlike the PAF.. the Chinese coastline.. and the Chinese threat paradigms are MUCH larger to defend and project power to. It also has to consider the last two factors when making its doctrine which are finance weapons access(although it has really on its way to nearly diminishing the latter factor). Despite the massive economy.. China's military budget is still a drain on it self and cannot be overly huge. With its fund size.. the PLAAF has to make decisions.
It cannot have too many overlapping roles.. and buy aircraft just for the heck of it when it does not need to.
In the new PLAAF.. the J-10 is the light component.. designed for the inner circle of Task 3 which it carries out with J-11 and Su-27SKs. Task 1 and 2 are taken up by the Su-30MKK.. Here, the JF-17 has no fit. While it can serve the same role that the J-10 currently serves quite well.. it has little value otherwise.. It cannot perform the Task 1 and 2 that the PLAAF needs because of its size. The PLAAF was till recently a very DEFENSIVE force. It has only recently come out as offensive. As such its J-7s, Q-5s are quite useless to its offensive needs today as the collapse of the Soviet Union has all but ended the threat from the north. So where does the JF-17 fit then?? if at all?

The only possibility I see for the JF-17 in the PLAAF is in a defensive role in a Formosa Strait conflict. Acting in coastal A2/AD roles. that too is a longshot..

surprising china did commit to induct thunder in 90s when we joined the pro gramme.
i guess j-10 wasnt finalized by then and china econmy wasnt as gigantic as its now was the reason to do so.

regarddlesssly it seem we may get attack heli from china that will help.
subs if materialize will give pak navy a breathing space and chance to retire the agosta 70

This is the entire news from a News Agency and not a third party report
China to sell helicopters to Pakistan: Mamnoon - thenews.com.pk

I am bewildered at this statement.
China would purchase the JF-17 Thunder aircraft from Pakistan for its air force.“This will increase the demand for our aircraft in the international market,” he said.
Yes, the only manufacturing line for the JF-17 is in Pakistan, but as such it is from Chinese soft loans and every JF-17 we buy pays China. If any one else buys the JF-17 they pay to PAC and China. But if China buys it from Pakistan they pay part to us and themselves... yet as a local product.. I dont see how it boosts the international image?
To top it off, the Chinese already have the sister product of the JF-17 known as the FC-1. That was part of the deal.. so why the hell wont China just make the FC-1? The only reason it wont do that is if the factory in Chengdu is occupied with doing other stuff.. and that is the only if in it.

The more interesting statement is about the helicopters..have the Chinese decided to gift us a gunship?

Lets hope this happens :tup: It will give great boost to program.

ROFL
wish people coulpriorprehend your blasphemy here.
wish I had your 9 lives.
Very pithy. I could have sworn you had a double dose of jalapeno peppers prior to writing this.But then again why so much disdain towards the pride of Pakistan the " jadeed Tareen laraaka bumbaar tayyara"

Back
Top Bottom