What's new

Generals exempted from property tax

dabong, look at the wider perspective. Who in Pakistan actually does pay taxes. .

Well, around 75% of Pakistans budget is consumed by its armed forces that supports the huge infrastructure, expensive hard ware and pay/allowances for the personnel. Armed forces personnel are only able to pay tax,once they are paid their salary. So when you write that who is actually paying the tax in Pakistan, the answer is: Each and Every Average Pakistani.

yet you don't say a diddly about NS's tax evasions that have been proved, or those of Bhutto. Whilst any Army personnel who earn and don't pay taxes should be brought to the fore, the way you do it, is to ignore everyone else. Such bias simply shows an agenda, making you lack any credibility whatsoever.

Are you trying to say that if politicians’ haven’t been brought forward for tax evasion then why should Army personnel be brought forward????? Good excuse!!!!!

And if NS and BB's tax evasion has been proved (as you have mentioned) , then why the hell these two stooges are roaming free? Why isn’t Govt charging them and putting them behind bars instead of making secrets deals with them? And the dilemma is if Govt doesn’t nab them now, most probably one of these tax evaders will be our next PM very soon.

Cheers to the happy future.

Dude it's property tax exemption at the GENERAL level for 5 marla houses. Keep things in perspective.

I think a small perk like that for being a General, dedicating your life to the defence of you and me, putting yourself in harms way, is acceptable.

There is no tax evasion here.

Let me point out that it's not just for Generals either. It's just the Cantonment area. Anyone can buy.

Off topic: How much is a marla in sq yards/gaz??
How much does a kanal cost in a place like DHA in Karachi or Def Col in Lahore??
2-3 carore for a house on the land. Just the land? Hmmm don't know. Probably half of that.

Off topic: How much is a marla in sq yards/gaz??

Aryan,

In Pakistan
1 Marla= 30.25 Sq Yards = 25.2928 Sq: Metres = 272.25 Sq: Feet = 0.00625 Acre = 0.05 Kanal.

1 Kanal= 20 Marlas = 605 Sq Yards = 505.86 Sq: Metres = 0.125 Acre = 0.050585 Hectare

The Indian value for 1 Marla is different though...

Well, around 75% of Pakistans budget is consumed by its armed forces that supports the huge infrastructure, expensive hard ware and pay/allowances for the personnel.

So what does the figure of 75% have to do with the salaries of army personnel?!?! You've even admitted this money goes to buy fighter aircraft, multi billion dollar equipment? Why on earth should Generals be taxed on the basis of the TOTAL MILITARY BUDGET? Duh.

Armed forces personnel are only able to pay tax,once they are paid their salary.

Right.

So when you write that who is actually paying the tax in Pakistan, the answer is: Each and Every Average Pakistani.

Now this is where you lose me. You make no sense. You talk about army personnel paying taxes, and then suddenly make the jump to talking about every Pakistani paying taxes!

Pakistan's tax payers form a very small percentage of the population. Only around 1-2% of people in Pakistan pay taxes. When most civilians are exempted from taxes, why should the Generals not be that earn a similar wage?

Are you trying to say that if politicians’ haven’t been brought forward for tax evasion then why should Army personnel be brought forward????? Good excuse!!!!!

No, I'm saying that the insane fixation with Army corruption at the expense of proven civilian government corruption on a scale hundreds of times worse than the Army, is purely agenda based, and ignores the very logical principle of choosing the lesser of two evils. You don't punish a petty thief by hanging him, and a rapist by 20 lashes, do you? Same you don't report on the less corrupt people, while ignoring the much more corrupt people, unless you have an agenda. In which case, you're opinion is worth as much as camel poo in a desert.

And if NS and BB's tax evasion has been proved (as you have mentioned) , then why the hell these two stooges are roaming free? Why isn’t Govt charging them and putting them behind bars instead of making secrets deals with them? And the dilemma is if Govt doesn’t nab them now, most probably one of these tax evaders will be our next PM very soon.

Cheers to the happy future.

This is perhaps the only part of your post where you make some sense, and might have a point. The Government should charge them, lock them away and throw away the key. However, they cannot. Because the two Beavis's have a following in Pakistan, and have some influence. When someone steals half the economy of a 60 billion one, they have a lot of money, and a lot of influence to go with it. No doubts they use it wisely bribing their supporters to turn up, vote for them and so on. All it take is a few rupees for one of them to buy a vote. It is better for Musharraf to defeat them in the elections, which he will do. That way noone can argue, he is not the most popular leader in Pakistan currently, even though his opponents are going to try and buy votes no doubts, or make some ludcrous promises like, "all the educated youth will be given jobs" :agree:

Aryan,

1 Marla= 30.25 Sq Yards = 25.2928 Sq: Metres = 272.25 Sq: Feet = 0.00625 Acre = 0.05 Kanal.

1 Kanal= 20 Marlas = 605 Sq Yards = 505.86 Sq: Metres = 0.125 Acre = 0.050585 Hectare

2-3 carore for a house on the land. Just the land? Hmmm don't know. Probably half of that.

That is damn damn cheap for a Home in a posh area..
I mean in a place like Delhi or Mumbai a house this big(~2kanal) will be around 10mn$ at least minimum in a posh area in Delhi and 20mn$+ in Mumbai(if you find a house that is)

I don't think they should tax for this... No way..

The property prices in pakistan are coming down at a very rapid rate. Recently my cousin bought a plot in DHA phase 6 of 1 kanal for 45 lacs while the investor who bought the plot intially for a profit took a lose of about 55 lacs.

The property prices in pakistan are coming down at a very rapid rate. Recently my cousin bought a plot in DHA phase 6 of 1 kanal for 45 lacs while the investor who bought the plot intially for a profit took a lose of about 55 lacs.

YOu are kidding man.
one kanal for only 45 lacs its sooooooooooooo cheap.

A house just in front of our house here in a posh colony which i must say is not as posh as Defence area of Peshawar or cantonment but even than that house (i.e only 4 marla ) was just 2 months back sold at Rs28 lacs and now the property dealers are roaming arround to buy it and other houses at far far more roughly at Rs32 lacs to 36 lacs

here in NWFP i tell you the land is getting damn costlier.

That is damn damn cheap for a Home in a posh area..
I mean in a place like Delhi or Mumbai a house this big(~2kanal) will be around 10mn$ at least minimum in a posh area in Delhi and 20mn$+ in Mumbai(if you find a house that is)

I don't think they should tax for this... No way..
Dude I don't know what you're talking about. It's not that expensive in America or heck even Dubai!

My bro just bought a 0.5 acre house for about half a million USD. It's in an above Average Suburb of DC Metro area.

I think you have got your zeroes wrong or your sense of 1 Kanal. 20 mil rupees would make sense. which is what 2 carore is. But Indian rupee is stronger so one would think it would be lesser.

I was curious to search on the property situation in Delhi

For Sale: Farm House ,
Built up area - 1200 Sq. Feet, Plot area - 18000 Sq. Feet, 2 Bedroom(s)
Located At : Faridabad, Delhi Suburb
Title: Farm house for sale in faridabad
Contact Details: Mobile: 9350042411
Price: Rs. 55,00,000 (Rs. 4,583 per sq. ft.)

I found this. This is slightly less than 10 marla / 1/2 Kanal (according to Sam's calculations).

That is for 5 million rupees. Taking the rate of 4, 500 rs per sq. ft...

A 1 kanal house should be about: 25 million rupees.

YOu are kidding man.
one kanal for only 45 lacs its sooooooooooooo cheap.

A house just in front of our house here in a posh colony which i must say is not as posh as Defence area of Peshawar or cantonment but even than that house (i.e only 4 marla ) was just 2 months back sold at Rs28 lacs and now the property dealers are roaming arround to buy it and other houses at far far more roughly at Rs32 lacs to 36 lacs

here in NWFP i tell you the land is getting damn costlier.
45 lakhs seems about right for just the plain land. At most, it may be pushed upto 1 crore.

However the price increases dramatically with the house that is built upon it.

Its common law implicable for all as throughout Pakistan 5-marla houses are exempted from Tax and only charging those living in cantonments i dont see any solid reason for that.

Now coming to taxes well there are many many more people who have large house even on acres but they are not paying tax.

its just a pitty stooping to low if someone is trying to malign army for this common law made for all citizens of Pakistan not for the army.

X_man do you live in Pakistan ?
if had your family ever paid property tax ??????????/

I bet not

to hell with the army thats always benifited from pakistan due to them meddling in politics and imposing military law on the public. Army is a hate figure and for a good reason as well as they are leaches that suck away pakistani resources.

Dude I don't know what you're talking about. It's not that expensive in America or heck even Dubai!

My bro just bought a 0.5 acre house for about half a million USD. It's in an above Average Suburb of DC Metro area.

I think you have got your zeroes wrong or your sense of 1 Kanal. 20 mil rupees would make sense. which is what 2 carore is. But Indian rupee is stronger so one would think it would be lesser.

Nah.. I am pretty much right

While locations such as Shanti Niketan, Westend easily command approximately Rs 30,000/sq ft followed closely by Vasant Vihar and Anand Niketan at Rs 26,000/sq ft, average capital values in Greater Kailash I&II, South Extension, Hauz Khas and New Friends Colony start at Rs 14,000/sq ft, Property rates in south of Delhi, Mumbai move up- News -Real Estate-Markets-The Economic Times

min. RS30,000/sq ft --> 7500$/sq ft (40rs = 1$)
2 kanal --> 1200 sq yards --> 11000 sq ft --> 8.5mn$

now if you have a house around 2 kanals you will get more.. + location etc. as well 10mn$ is an excellent find in Delhi in a posh area ...

Some houses in exclusive Lutyen's Delhi are bought for over 40mn$.. since these are sporadic therefore I am not counting them...

I was curious to search on the property situation in Delhi

I found this. This is slightly less than 10 marla / 1/2 Kanal (according to Sam's calculations).

That is for 5 million rupees. Taking the rate of 4, 500 rs per sq. ft...

A 1 kanal house should be about: 25 million rupees.

this is Faridabad.. its not in Delhi..its a poorer town ..
Faridabad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

though the rates there are easily over 10,000 sq ft in prime locations...

At the top of the pack were Unitech that spent Rs 1,583crores on buying 300 acres in Noida and Mukesh Ambani bought a 7.5-hectare commercial property in Mumbai's Bandra-Kurla complex for Rs 1,104 cr.
http://www.ibef.org/artdisplay.aspx?cat_id=664&art_id=14415

basically for the posh areas etc. you wont have classifieds usually..

Bombay rates
IndiaProperty - PropertyRates

One four-bedroom apartment in the financial capital Mumbai sold for a hefty 8.62 million dollars last week.

That was the equivalent of 97,842 rupees (2,488 dollars) per square foot, the Times of India reported, calling it the country's "largest ever" price per foot. In the early 1990s, apartments in the same building were selling for 7,000 rupees per square foot.
AFP: India property in takeoff mode

to hell with the army thats always benifited from pakistan due to them meddling in politics and imposing military law on the public. Army is a hate figure and for a good reason as well as they are leaches that suck away pakistani resources.
Yes they have only died and dedicated only all of their lives to protect you and everyone you love.

Back
Top Bottom