What's new

Hindi and Urdu words learning thread.

Hazr Nahin HIJ'R --> Separation from beloved
bebani nahin BIYABAANI --> wilderness

Fighter

Shukriya. I had a feeling that I would have wrong prononciation of the words and I have realized the missing point. Thanks :)

Last edited:
can any one tell me how many vowels and consonants does urdu have..

are matras also used in urdu language??

does it also have unused alphabets like in hindi

can any one tell me how many vowels and consonants does urdu have..

are matras also used in urdu language??

does it also have unused alphabets like in hindi

To answer all these questions you have to keep in mind the nasta3liiq script Urdu is written in (vs the naagrii of Hindi).

Now this script makes it an abjad (alif-be-jiim-daal) language, not an alphabetical one!

This means there are no vowels (and therefore no consonants)! The three main 'vowels' if you like aliph, ye and waao (a, y/i, w/o) do not have fixed sounds, i.e. aliph and ye could be pronounced in the same way, depending on the Harakat (vowel-modifier).

No maatras too probably, though I'm not too sure what they are!

There are some redundant letters, but not in the same leauge as Hindi, some people mix them up and some distinguish them. I would quote only one example since people are unaware of the letters: the ze and zo/zoe are closed and unclosed / dental and guttural Zs, but most people close them (like the s in easy) since it is easier.

chaal chalan ko hindi main kia kehtay hain mian bhool gya houn kisi movie main kuch suna tha different sa workd hai lide sansaaar??????

sayien- in karachi(and sindh) used to refer to male elder

eg: baba sayien kia haal hai? or baba sayien chaa haal ahe(in sindhi): dear elder fellow how are you

reply: baba sayien sab thek hai, or kia baatain sayen baas ab allah ka karam hai :rolleyes: baba suthu ahe sab, cha baatain sayen, maula jo karam ahe :rolleyes:(sayien every thing is fine)

Lol, does it really? I've heard this word before, what's its real meaning?

Never heard of "Ahan"; iron is "Loha" in Urdu :coffee:

But kalandar also means Madari, ie, the man who does street shows with monkeys for entertainment.

Ahan for Loha / iron we got from farsi language :)

No qalandar is not a madari :)

Tak-al-oo-faat | Takaloofat = formalities

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom